Home

MLB 15 The Show Gameplay Stream Details - Archive Available Now, If You Missed It

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show Gameplay Stream Details - Archive Available Now, If You Missed It within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-06-2015, 07:56 PM   #337
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: MLB 15 The Show Gameplay Stream Details - Archive Available Now, If You Missed It

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjr33
I am not sure I full understand this slide step thing...can someone elaborate please?
Here's Tim Lincecum using a slide step:

Here he is out of the windup:

These pictures are not the best, but you can probably notice the difference with Lincecum's plant leg. Basically in a slide step, the pitcher lifts his plant leg as low off the ground as possible to minimize (or eliminate) the time it takes for his leg to kick up and down in the motion to the plate. There are a lot of different guys with a lot of versions of this move--hardly any two slide steps look alike. The tradeoff, though, is the pitcher doesn't get as much leverage as when using a full windup, so it's common to lose velocity using the slide step.

As for the mechanic of how it will work in game, if I recall, I think the twitch stream might have addressed that. But the basic idea is you will probably modify the pitch (either before or during) by pressing one of the trigger buttons in order to slide step.

Last edited by WaitTilNextYear; 02-06-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #338
Pro

garyjr33's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: MLB 15 The Show Gameplay Stream Details - Archive Available Now, If You Missed It

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I was out of town all week and wasn't able to really follow everything but the way I understand it is that it is now variable. I believe in the past a pitcher would strictly use one or the other other regardless of where the runners were.

So a pitcher should use the slide with a runner on first (depending the runner) but probably doesn't need to with a runner on second or third.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
Correct. Typically you use it with a runner on first (particularly a known base stealer). I wonder though if they will also play out the loss of velocity when you use a slide step and make your fastball even more hittable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Here's Tim Lincecum using a slide step:

Here he is out of the windup:

These pictures are not the best, but you can probably notice the difference with Lincecum's non-plant leg. Basically in a slide step, the pitcher lifts his non-plant leg as low off the ground as possible to minimize (or eliminate) the time it takes for his leg to kick up and down in the motion to the plate. There are a lot of different guys with a lot of versions of this move--hardly any two slide steps look alike. The tradeoff, though, is the pitcher doesn't get as much leverage as when using a full windup, so it's common to lose velocity using the slide step.

As for the mechanic of how it will work in game, if I recall, I think the twitch stream might have addressed that. But the basic idea is you will probably modify the pitch (either before or during) by pressing one of the trigger buttons in order to slide step.
Thanks guys!
NCAAF: Illinois Fighting Illini, Lafayette
NCCAB: Illinois Fighting Illini, Lafayette
Old 02-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #339
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjr33
Thanks guys!
Ahhh, civil discourse; it's just what this thread needs. A guy could get used to this!

You're quite welcome.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #340

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
Correct. Typically you use it with a runner on first (particularly a known base stealer). I wonder though if they will also play out the loss of velocity when you use a slide step and make your fastball even more hittable.
I missed this part. Is it determined by the user or automatically chosen.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #341
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
I missed this part. Is it determined by the user or automatically chosen.
The slide step is determined by the user.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #342

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Thank you sir.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #343
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Thank you sir.
you're very welcome!

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 02-06-2015, 08:08 PM   #344
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
The slide step is determined by the user.
Holding down R2 whilst pitching.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »