Home

When will this game go "Gold"?

This is a discussion on When will this game go "Gold"? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #1
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

OVR: 0
When will this game go "Gold"?

I'm mostly just curious, and I suppose only an SCEA employee would have any feedback, but I'm wondering about when the game will go "Gold" and be sent off for printing and shipping and/or staged for digital distribution?

As a fellow software developer (not in the game industry), the number of hoops I would need to jump through to get a change made after a piece of software is considered "finished" is pretty sizable. So obviously a product is "shipped" around the last possible day to allow for last minute changes and still make it to the customer in time.

It seems like a LOT of games go "Gold" about 30 days in advance. But since MLB The Show is:
1) published by Sony itself rather than an outside publisher (such as EA, 2K Sports, etc) and
2) developed by an in-house Sony development team...

...I got to thinking that the cutoff for Sony San Diego to finalized and package up the final code is probably a lot closer to the release date? Maybe only a week or two before March 31st?

Yes, I realize how incredibly nerdy this post is.
Maybe this isn't even the best forum to bring this up...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
Pro

RLebron12's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: When will this game go "Gold"?

I would definitely say more than a week because working at a retail store we usually get the games sometimes close to a week before the game is released. Sometimes even longer. I would assume their cutoff is last day of February. Just a guess though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Baseball is a game, yes. It is also a business. But what is most truly is is disguised combat. For all its gentility, its almost leisurely pace, baseball is violence under wraps.” -Willie Mays (The Say Hey Kid)
Old 02-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
I'm mostly just curious, and I suppose only an SCEA employee would have any feedback, but I'm wondering about when the game will go "Gold" and be sent off for printing and shipping and/or staged for digital distribution?

As a fellow software developer (not in the game industry), the number of hoops I would need to jump through to get a change made after a piece of software is considered "finished" is pretty sizable. So obviously a product is "shipped" around the last possible day to allow for last minute changes and still make it to the customer in time.

It seems like a LOT of games go "Gold" about 30 days in advance. But since MLB The Show is:
1) published by Sony itself rather than an outside publisher (such as EA, 2K Sports, etc) and
2) developed by an in-house Sony development team...

...I got to thinking that the cutoff for Sony San Diego to finalized and package up the final code is probably a lot closer to the release date? Maybe only a week or two before March 31st?

Yes, I realize how incredibly nerdy this post is.
Maybe this isn't even the best forum to bring this up...
Definitely more than a week or two. Pretty sure there were people last year that had the game a week before it released. Id assume about 3-4 weeks from now. So March 10th at the latest. Give or take a few days.

Make that 2-3 weeks. Forgot how to count when i looked at the calendar.

Last edited by HozAndMoose; 02-17-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

OVR: 2

With day one patches in this day and age it seems it's kind of irrelevant when a game goes gold. They will be working on it up to release date I'm sure.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #5
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbmolina
With day one patches in this day and age it seems it's kind of irrelevant when a game goes gold. They will be working on it up to release date I'm sure.
That is a very good point. Though with many review sites/publications having a policy of reviewing the "1.0" build of games, there is probably a balancing act between getting the game as advanced as possible for release versus shifting over efforts to working on the first patch. Gotta find the sweet spot. Something 2K missed the mark on pretty noticeably with NBA 2k15 - just look at all of the mediocre reviews and scores due to issues that have now been patched.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 4

I'm usually the one bringing the Gold issue up LOL.... Anyways... I checked the ESRB site, and 15 is officially listed up there, so the games already gold, OR VERY close. (I think the latter)... Personally I think the game will go gold around March 5-10. Give them time to final tweak anything, then 3 weeks to copy and ship. (Also given how the game will undoubtedly be in the hands of the early usual suspects). I'd say this time frame is close...
Old 02-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
That is a very good point. Though with many review sites/publications having a policy of reviewing the "1.0" build of games, there is probably a balancing act between getting the game as advanced as possible for release versus shifting over efforts to working on the first patch. Gotta find the sweet spot. Something 2K missed the mark on pretty noticeably with NBA 2k15 - just look at all of the mediocre reviews and scores due to issues that have now been patched.
Very true, if NBA 2K15 was reviewed now it would probably score a 90 on metacritic as oppose to the 83 average it now enjoys.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #8
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

As long as it gets here for March 31st that is all that counts!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »