Home

Scouting Reports in MLBTS are Needed to Stop Generic Pitch Strategy For Each Batter.

This is a discussion on Scouting Reports in MLBTS are Needed to Stop Generic Pitch Strategy For Each Batter. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2015, 03:13 PM   #25
Rookie

ruskoz's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Scouting Reports in MLBTS are Needed to Stop Generic Pitch Strategy For Each Batt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan16
I don't know about all of you, but I don't really need an advanced scouting report to get hitters out. If you execute your pitch you'll get out. Of course, some pitch sequence strategy is needed but if you have a general understanding about how to get hitters out it can be applied to all hitters and simple execution of this strategy will result in outs. No need to have detailed pitch sequence scouting reports for every hitter in the game.
Yes I also agree that generally a good pitch strategy will result in a higher probability to get outs. That is general and there lies the main point. It is in fact a generic pitch approach to each batter. You can pitch these sets of pitch combinations to all batters and have fairly good success. However, if batters/pitcher had uniqueness/strength a batter with some real strengths, let say more then one that the scouting report identified. The generic pitch combinations would be penalized inadvertently. i.e. fastball hitter, in a obvious fastball count the batter has a bonus on any fastball thrown...off-speed stuff would not get a bonus since its not a strength and then the pitcher sequence is a game with in the game. Its simulation baseball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2015, 03:22 PM   #26
Rookie

ruskoz's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Scouting Reports in MLBTS are Needed to Stop Generic Pitch Strategy For Each Batt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big O Face
Another offshoot of this could be based into the game-calling rating of the catcher. If the catcher knows how to call a good game, then the reports would be presented in full; as if the catcher studied scouting reports before the game. Conversely, if a catcher has a low game calling rating, perhaps only certain areas would show up as being hot/cold, with the remainder being grayed out.

You could instead build this into the pitcher as well, but I'm not aware of a stat that it could build off of as there is no intelligence or game prep rating. I just think it would be interesting. Most pitchers read scouting reports, but some of them remember the reports better. Just an interesting thought
That is interesting. Would really change the catcher value modifier. A good catcher would become a must have for any real contender...true to real life.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:40 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
Some interesting numbers:

Bartolo Colon
Fastball 34%
Two Seam 51%
Slider 10%
Change 5%

Mostly fastballs from Bartolo, a whopping 85%.

Felix Hernandez
Sinker 25%
Change 23%
Fastball 22%
Curve 15%
Slider 11%
Cutter 5%

Six pitches from King Felix. He came up a flame thrower, and while he still throws hard, he throws a wide variety of pitches with a lot of movement. No one pitch more than a quarter of the time.

Shelby Miller
Fastball 68%
Curve 19%
Two Seam 5%
Change 4%
Cutter 4%

Miller is mostly a fastball and curve pitcher, who mixes in three other pitches on occasion.

Would be great to see this reflected in the game.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 3

Pitch percentages could also lead to some new lines of commentary, with mention of a pitcher's approach.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »