Home

Throwing Meter Explanation

This is a discussion on Throwing Meter Explanation within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #1
Rookie

T_O_p12's Arena

OVR: 0
Throwing Meter Explanation

Since the streams, I have noticed a lot of the developers don't take the pitch meter fully to the end. Is there an official explanation somewhere on the effects of going to the end of the meter versus somwhere in the green versus before the green all together? Is there an impact on pitcher energy?

Also when using the meter for fielding, is there somewhere on the meter where it is a slower more accurate throw versus a hard throw?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Throwing Meter Explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_O_p12
Since the streams, I have noticed a lot of the developers don't take the pitch meter fully to the end. Is there an official explanation somewhere on the effects of going to the end of the meter versus somwhere in the green versus before the green all together? Is there an impact on pitcher energy?

Also when using the meter for fielding, is there somewhere on the meter where it is a slower more accurate throw versus a hard throw?
You expel more energy maxing out the pitching meter which results in your stamina being chewed up quicker.

If you are referring to button accuracy throwing, your initial force of your button press will simultaneously bring up the throwing meter above the player and will fill the rings underneath him to determine the power of the throw. As soon as the meter activates is where it develops its personality so to speak. You will see the green section or sweet spot shift forward or backwards and either grow and shrink. This change is the player's fielding rating/attributes taking effect. A poorer fielder will see his sweet spot shrink and shift forward causing you to have to hold the button longer to hit that sweet spot. A better rated fielder will see the sweet spot shift back and possibly grow allowing you to get your throw off quicker. The meter will also change based on other factors besides a fielder's attributes, throw distance, throw difficulty, momentum etc. could influence it.

Depending on the situation sometimes it is better not to preload where you field plant and throw as opposed to preloading and throwing on the move.

Last edited by nemesis04; 03-01-2015 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
You expel more energy maxing out the pitching meter which results in your stamina being chewed up quicker.

If you are referring to button accuracy throwing, your initial force of your button press will simultaneously bring up the throwing meter above the player and will fill the rings underneath him to determine the power of the throw. As soon as the meter activates is where it develops its personality so to speak. You will see the green section or sweet spot shift forward or backwards and either grow and shrink. This change is the player's fielding rating/attributes taking effect. A poorer fielder will see his sweet spot shrink and shift forward causing you to have to hold the button longer to hit that sweet spot. A better rated fielder will see the sweet spot shift back and possibly grow allowing you to get your throw off quicker. The meter will also change based on other factors besides a fielder's attributes, throw distance, throw difficulty, momentum etc..

Depending on the situation sometimes it is better not to preload where you field plant and throw as opposed to preloading and throwing on the move.
Does going into the red on the pitching meter also affect accuracy at all or only stamina?
Old 02-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Does going into the red on the pitching meter also affect accuracy at all or only stamina?
Accuracy as well because if you put more effort behind a breaking pitch for example it will have greater break.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
Rookie

Brian3113's Arena

I rarely take the meter past the green. In fact, if you click the button way early, it just defaults to the edge of the green. I have found that if you take it into the red, not only does it affect your overall energy / stamina level, it also becomes less accurate. Not to say if you hit the sweet spot you won't hit your mark, but being just a little off results in a more dramatic miss where if you had just gone to the green, you would have been closer to your mark by hitting the same spot on the accuracy part.
Portland Trail Blazers
Seattle Sounders FC
Nebraska Cornhuskers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #6
Rookie

T_O_p12's Arena

Thanks guys! I am glad I asked. Never knew about the circle below the player filling up. I guess that's why on the streams they held down the button while the meter cycled through. I always just let the meter get to the middle on the first time and then throw so probably was not always getting as hard of a throw.

I am trying to hone my skills before 15.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:11 AM   #7
Just started!

yes,The meter will also change based on other factors besides a fielder's attributes, throw distance, throw difficulty, momentum etc.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:50 AM   #8
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this also applies to analog pitching. If you press up on the right analog very quickly I think you exert more energy and throw the ball harder. But at the expense of accuracy and stamina.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »