Home

MLB 15 The Show "Character Artists" Stream Recap

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show "Character Artists" Stream Recap within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #57
87%

ty5oke's Arena

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
I don't think it has anything to do with glasses, of any color.

Anyway, I don't think anyone is defending anyone. They just simply stated good or bad, negative or positive, it's ultimately the developers decision what they put in their game. They chose to use analytical data to go with the majority of users. Sounds pretty Democratic to me... Unfortunately, you fall in the minority, which in case, you kinda have to deal with it.

htcONE [M8] 5.0 | Tapatalk
It's not a big deal to me. Just don't claim to try and mimic real-life tendencies for alternate jersey's for offline franchise mode then. Kind of contradicts itself when they make a choice they did.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #58
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 15 The Show "Character Artists" Stream Recap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty5oke
It's not a big deal to me. Just don't claim to try and mimic real-life tendencies for alternate jersey's for offline franchise mode then. Kind of contradicts itself when they make a choice they did.
Do you have numbers on how often the new alternate jerseys were worn vs the alternates already in the game?
Old 03-04-2015, 04:16 PM   #59
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
I'm hoping that maybe cranking up the movement on the 4SFB will affect the run on it a bit making 0 a true 4SFM and 99 a running FB. I hope that movement has some affect on the 4SFM run at least. Even just for aesthetics I'd rather have 4SFB be listed instead of running FB. I'm sure some players will need to have running since from the streams it doesn't seem like the 4SFM runs that much.
yeah its probably capped, and don't forget that arm angle is a factor as well.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that movement has a strong influence on pitch confidence, maybe that's something that can be looked at in the future (making it strictly command based is ideal).
Old 03-04-2015, 05:36 PM   #60
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty5oke
Are you sure it's not a big deal to you? Because that post reads more like emotion than logic.

Of course they can claim they are trying to mimic real-life tendencies for uniforms in franchise since, you know, that's exactly what they are doing. Whether or not a specific jersey makes it as a priority based on their user data has nothing to do with the logic used for the ones that are there. It sounds like they simply made a judgment call based on user data and current resource limitations/priorities.

It's perfectly reasonable to be unhappy with the choice the devs made, but crying foul when they continue to try and get the best possible outcome within the chosen framework is not.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #61
87%

ty5oke's Arena

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Are you sure it's not a big deal to you? Because that post reads more like emotion than logic.

Of course they can claim they are trying to mimic real-life tendencies for uniforms in franchise since, you know, that's exactly what they are doing. Whether or not a specific jersey makes it as a priority based on their user data has nothing to do with the logic used for the ones that are there. It sounds like they simply made a judgment call based on user data and current resource limitations/priorities.

It's perfectly reasonable to be unhappy with the choice the devs made, but crying foul when they continue to try and get the best possible outcome within the chosen framework is not.
OldBoy,
They will be wearing them for 13 games, Sunday home games.

Soxfan,
I guess if it said 'trying' then it would of made more sense to me. Thanks for the clarification.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #62
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
yeah its probably capped, and don't forget that arm angle is a factor as well.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that movement has a strong influence on pitch confidence, maybe that's something that can be looked at in the future (making it strictly command based is ideal).
Well from the stream they seemed to imply that they used some sort of pitchf/x data to get movements on pitches, but I am not sure if all that means is 1-99 on the movement rating or if they actually hard coded player ____'s 4SFB with X and Y movement. Ramone specifically said they looked at the axes of each pitcher. Could it be attached to the pitching motion or player?

Maybe all he meant was that the movement in game is calculated based on the pitcher's movement rating and arm angle and they got that movement rating based on whatever data they got from mlb.com or pitchf/x.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:10 PM   #63
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

I don't know anything about Seattle or San Francisco's new alternates and since I doubt I'll be playing as either much I don't really care...but the logic that user data keeps an old jersey over a new alternate (that will presumably be worn enough to warrant inclusion) is confusing.

Without these new alternates in the game, how can there be an accurate comparison of usage data vs historic uniforms? I think it's pretty obvious that people will use a jersey that's included over one that isn't.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:57 PM   #64
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
Well from the stream they seemed to imply that they used some sort of pitchf/x data to get movements on pitches, but I am not sure if all that means is 1-99 on the movement rating or if they actually hard coded player ____'s 4SFB with X and Y movement. Ramone specifically said they looked at the axes of each pitcher. Could it be attached to the pitching motion or player?

Maybe all he meant was that the movement in game is calculated based on the pitcher's movement rating and arm angle and they got that movement rating based on whatever data they got from mlb.com or pitchf/x.
He said they took the average x and y of every single pitch thrown, but that's what Fangraphs/MLB gameday and Brooks already do, and what us pitch edits guys have been using for years. I think it was B Ma who mentioned arm angle playing some role in making a 4 seam fastball sink/run/cut, and I think he also mentioned something like the 4 seam movement not necessarily showing up on the pitch break OSD but still being visible to the user. This might very well be a break vs movement thing, but I won't know for sure until I have the game and check some things out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »