Home

MLB 15 The Show Player Ratings - Top Rated Players For Each Team

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show Player Ratings - Top Rated Players For Each Team within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #73
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: MLB 15 The Show Player Ratings - Top Rated Players For Each Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
It's important for speed rating & basestealing rating to be completely separate; Hamilton's speed rating should be close to or 99, but his 99 steal rating must be having a lingering effect from his short 2013 season.
It's interesting to note Baseball Cube give Stanton a 37 speed & Hamilton a 100. Fangraphs give Stanton a 67 speed & Hamilton a 90. Marry the two & Stanton would be a 52 & Hamilton a 95. In any event, while Hamilton's speed should be lightyears ahead of Stanton, Stanton should have a better basestealing rating.
So they completely overlooked what Hamilton did last year regarding his ability to steal bases?

Oh, I agree Hamilton is faster than Stanton, but I think Stanton is faster than 57. If you consider Fangraphs underrated Hamilton's speed, then I think you can also consider they underrated Stanton's speed. You can give Hamilton a 99 for speed, and I think Stanton should be around 70 for speed--he's not that effective stealing bases with just 57 speed, in my opinion.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #74
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjr33
Tanaka is not overrated. He was dirty last year before his injury. Come on. Be reasonable. If it wasn't for his injury he would have played in the All-star game and been right there with Abreu for ROY. Scherzer has been one of the most consistent pitchers in the game for the past 3 years and eats innings. Not to mention the Cy Young in 2013.

Based on scouting reports Tanaka is projected to be a number 3 starter. He had a good season last year because there was no film on him.

Mark my words, he will regress. Just like Matsuzaka, and Matsui.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:42 PM   #75
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Part of the reason why BR Ability seems surprising at times when compared to real-life SB success % is that the success rate itself is not purely a reflection of a player's ability to steal.

If you are known as a great base stealer, the defense will be alert and in turn more often than not he will be attempting steals when the circumstances are rather against him, even though his natural ability to steal still is great.

On the other hand, someone like Stanton is not known as much of a stealer, so he affords to steal when the defense is not ready for it. So that may be a factor for his high success.

As a Met fan I cannot avoid mentioning Kevin McReynolds in this regard... Although he was a terrific athlete overall, by looks he seemed big and kinda slow, but from 1987 - 1988 he wad an amazing run of SB success, going 35 SB while being caught only once. But before and after McReynolds was never really a great stealer.

So BR Ability doesn't necessarily factor in that kind of aspect as well at times. It's often difficult to define whether a SB success is based on natural ability vs. surprise factor for a guy like him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2015, 06:49 PM   #76
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Part of the reason why BR Ability seems surprising at times when compared to real-life SB success % is that the success rate itself is not purely a reflection of a player's ability to steal.

If you are known as a great base stealer, the defense will be alert and in turn more often than not he will be attempting steals when the circumstances are rather against him, even though his natural ability to steal still is great.

On the other hand, someone like Stanton is not known as much of a stealer, so he affords to steal when the defense is not ready for it. So that may be a factor for his high success.

As a Met fan I cannot avoid mentioning Kevin McReynolds in this regard... Although he was a terrific athlete overall, by looks he seemed big and kinda slow, but from 1987 - 1988 he wad an amazing run of SB success, going 35 SB while being caught only once. But before and after McReynolds was never really a great stealer.

So BR Ability doesn't necessarily factor in that kind of aspect as well at times. It's often difficult to define whether a SB success is based on natural ability vs. surprise factor for a guy like him.
Which would explain this
Old 03-07-2015, 06:52 PM   #77
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
So they completely overlooked what Hamilton did last year regarding his ability to steal bases?
Without knowing their formula, it appears that way, which is just wrong IMO
Of course I could be way off base in assuming their formula is even remotely close to my own.
#44Syracuse
Old 03-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #78
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k

On the other hand, Hamilton may simply not be as good at stealing bases as first thought. Of course all defenses will be alert, but it still takes a throw to get that 99 speed guy. If I apply your thinking to all players, you could say so-and-so doesn't bat higher because he doesn't get pitches to hit, but we think he's a better hitter so let's give him a 99 for contact. Show me the numbers and I'm with you. I don't care what hitters or pitchers do in the minors, I care what they do in the majors. Now don't get me wrong, I realize that there has to be some basis for rookies, and the minors has to be used, but once they are in the majors, then that's what matters most to me. I'm sure the defenses in the minors knew about Hamilton, but this is the majors.

With Stanton, if he's that slow, 57 speed, it shouldn't take the same kind of throw to get him out. Catchers who can throw out a speedster like Hamilton, should be able to nail a "slowpoke" like Stanton. 13-1 is pretty darn good for a 57 speed guy.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:22 PM   #79
Rookie

catswithbats's Arena

The overall/potential reactions are always fun. I usually just go in and tweak the guys I think need tweaking. Maybe Anibal Sanchez will finally be A-potential/OVR this year.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:25 PM   #80
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisac
Rizzo 84 and Castro 80 with Baez a 77? yikes!
That's what I said as well. The fact that Baez is rated higher than Soler leaves me wondering if the person doing the ratings has ever watche either of those players bat/play.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »