Home

MLB 15 The Show Player Ratings - Top Rated Players For Each Team

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show Player Ratings - Top Rated Players For Each Team within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2015, 11:08 AM   #65
MVP

eric7064's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: MLB 15 The Show Player Ratings - Top Rated Players For Each Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisac
That's the one thing I wish the Show never did! I'd rather have as example( if Rizzo got traded back to Boston from Cubs I'd rather have his real portrait with a Cubs hat on than a generic picture with a Red Sox hat) JMO

Eww no I hated tha. 3-4 years in a franchise I'd have hats from all different clubs. Hated it. Love the new way they do iT.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2015, 11:12 AM   #66
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsWillRiseAgain
I think itd be all bias if i just stood back "Ah RIZZOS DA BEST PLAYER" but i linked his fangraphs page, stated how he deserves a better rating.

And if you're worried about his defense, i believe his numbers last year had him a terrfic first baseman..... Its not just offense (:

And about the previous year thing, i dont think it matters much as they have Corey Kluber incredibly high (which he should be, he was freaking awesome lol)
I'm not worried about his defense. I was just pointing out that we don't know the formulas that the developers use to convert stats to rankings (contact/Power/speed/plate disc/etc) and then we don't know how much those skill rankings contribute to the overall.

All I am saying is that from the information we have the rankings are fair. We could argue about their criteria for ranking players all day long but it would all be speculation because none of know the full criteria.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #67
Rookie

WINdians's Arena

I think I may have talked them into bumping Klubot up to a 90. Thanks @Russell_SCEA
Old 03-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #68
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
I'm not worried about his defense. I was just pointing out that we don't know the formulas that the developers use to convert stats to rankings (contact/Power/speed/plate disc/etc) and then we don't know how much those skill rankings contribute to the overall.

All I am saying is that from the information we have the rankings are fair. We could argue about their criteria for ranking players all day long but it would all be speculation because none of know the full criteria.
It's actually not very hard to recover the OVR formula themselves. Follow this (1) create a player at a position with all attribute values fixed at a low value, say 25, and record his OVR; (2) pick one attribute value and edit it to some value, like 75 and record his new OVR. (3) Use the following formula

Code:
     (new OVR) - (old OVR)
------------------------------------------------  = coefficient used for that attribute in OVR
(new attribute val) - (old attribute val)
This gives you OVR increase per attribute value at the specific position.

You repeat this process for each attribute for each position, and you can recover the coefficients fairly accurately (at least for players who haven't received custom boosts... which might exists if we take what Luis said in the latest SDS stream).

So the OVR calculation itself isn't particularly mysterious or interesting, but it is still important since a lot of CPU logic seems to depend on it... like roster management, lineup logic, etc.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #69
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
So the OVR calculation itself isn't particularly mysterious or interesting, but it is still important since a lot of CPU logic seems to depend on it... like roster management, lineup logic, etc.
The mysterious part is what stats they feed into the system for the real players and how those stats get interpreted into the more standard ratings like Plate Vision, Plate Discipline, BR Ability, Reaction, etc etc
Old 03-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #70
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
The mysterious part is what stats they feed into the system for the real players and how those stats get interpreted into the more standard ratings like Plate Vision, Plate Discipline, BR Ability, Reaction, etc etc
Even that part isn't THAT mysterious... we could of course argue about the very details, but SDS does rather sensible things based mostly on traditional stats. There has been a lot of information revealed on how player attribute system works both in the in-game Strategy Guide as well as discussions here on OS, and I don't see a whole a lot of mystery, tough there may be quite a bit of subjectivity in how some players are rated in some attributes.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #71
MVP

OVR: 1

Kluber being B potential and rated 90 ovl confuses me, 90 being what an A represents.

Billy Hamilton with his 99 speed and 99 steal ability also confuses me. He stole 56 bases and was caught stealing 23 times last year. I don't know their formula, but Stanton did better than that and got 57 for speed. Stanton stole 13 bases and was caught just once last year.

So Justin Upton is a better overall fielder than Stanton, and even has a better arm. I dunno, seems to me Stanton is underrated with regard to his speed and arm, and quite possibly reaction as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #72
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
Kluber being B potential and rated 90 ovl confuses me, 90 being what an A represents.

Billy Hamilton with his 99 speed and 99 steal ability also confuses me. He stole 56 bases and was caught stealing 23 times last year. I don't know their formula, but Stanton did better than that and got 57 for speed. Stanton stole 13 bases and was caught just once last year.

So Justin Upton is a better overall fielder than Stanton, and even has a better arm. I dunno, seems to me Stanton is underrated with regard to his speed and arm, and quite possibly reaction as well.
It's important for speed rating & basestealing rating to be completely separate; Hamilton's speed rating should be close to or 99, but his 99 steal rating must be having a lingering effect from his short 2013 season.
It's interesting to note Baseball Cube give Stanton a 37 speed & Hamilton a 100. Fangraphs give Stanton a 67 speed & Hamilton a 90. Marry the two & Stanton would be a 52 & Hamilton a 95. In any event, while Hamilton's speed should be lightyears ahead of Stanton, Stanton should have a better basestealing rating.
#44Syracuse

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »