Home

NL Designated Hitter - Future Franchise Change

This is a discussion on NL Designated Hitter - Future Franchise Change within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #9
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: NL Designated Hitter - Future Franchise Change

I think it is inevitable that the NL will eventually implement the DH rule, probably sooner than later. Honestly it doesn't make sense to have both leagues do different things. It's like if the NBA decided the Eastern conference wasn't going to have a 3 point line, but the Western Conference was. I'm hoping that with new continued saves that maybe it will let us have the option to switch at the end of each season, so when they finally do, do it we can make the change as well. I've even thought about going ahead and starting it. I wait for opening day rosters, and then after that do not follow the real MLB season at all. So my franchise doesn't have to mimic what is going on in real life.
New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kentucky Wildcats, #18 Kyle Busch, #4B Jackie Boggs, #0 Scott Bloomquist
Old 03-13-2015, 10:55 PM   #10
Rookie

OhioCub's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
That what i always liked. The strategy behind it. Do i leave in my relief pitcher who is just mowing guys down, and go to my already tired/not as good other relief pitcher, just to try and get the run from 2nd in with a pinch hitter, or do i just try for it, and leave him in to keep the deficit where it is?

I always enjoyed the little chess match. Granted, I'm a Brewers fan, so maybe not watching the AL has biased my choice.
I actually came up with an idea that incorporates a DH and leaves all the strategy and maybe more in the game. Basically, your DH is tied to your starting pitcher. In other words, as soon as you take your starting pitcher out of the game you're also taking your DH out of the game. After that, either you have to let the relief pitchers bat or use a pinch hitter. If you so choose, you can sub your DH in for one of your fielder's (a double switch) but he could be a defensive liability while you lose a better fielder.

Here's a scenario, your starter's laboring, runners on first and second, 1 out, you're down 1 run and in the next half inning your DH, who's one of your best hitters but can't play the field well is due up 3rd. If you pull your pitcher you either have to put him in the field somewhere and risk a possibly catastrophic error or pinch hit for him. Or you can roll the dice and leave your starter in and hope for the double play ball. What's the call, skip?

Anyway, the pros of this are that you don't lose any strategy in the game, your starting pitchers, the highest paid ones, don't risk potential injury trying to bunt, potential for more offense and excitement and it creates more jobs for aging vets who can't move around in the field very well anymore.

Last edited by OhioCub; 03-13-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:26 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioCub
I actually came up with an idea that incorporates a DH and leaves all the strategy and maybe more in the game. Basically, your DH is tied to your starting pitcher. In other words, as soon as you take your starting pitcher out of the game you're also taking your DH out of the game. After that, either you have to let the relief pitchers bat or use a pinch hitter. If you so choose, you can sub your DH in for one of your fielder's (a double switch) but he could be a defensive liability while you lose a better fielder.

Here's a scenario, your starter's laboring, runners on first and second, 1 out, you're down 1 run and in the next half inning your DH, who's one of your best hitters but can't play the field well is due up 3rd. If you pull your pitcher you either have to put him in the field somewhere and risk a possibly catastrophic error or pinch hit for him. Or you can roll the dice and leave your starter in and hope for the double play ball. What's the call, skip?

Anyway, the pros of this are that you don't lose any strategy in the game, your starting pitchers, the highest paid ones, don't risk potential injury trying to bunt, potential for more offense and excitement and it creates more jobs for aging vets who can't move around in the field very well anymore.
I like this a lot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2015, 05:13 AM   #12
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioCub
I actually came up with an idea that incorporates a DH and leaves all the strategy and maybe more in the game. Basically, your DH is tied to your starting pitcher...
Yes. yes! Designated hitters should be tied to the pitchers they're hitting for!
I wish the AL would adopt this.
#44Syracuse
Old 03-14-2015, 05:51 AM   #13
Rookie

OhioCub's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
Yes. yes! Designated hitters should be tied to the pitchers they're hitting for!
I wish the AL would adopt this.
Yep, that's kind of the idea, to get everyone on the same, compromised set of rules. I wish I knew how to get this idea to the commish lol
Old 03-14-2015, 06:22 AM   #14
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5

I think pitchers batting is great. Position players have yo be able to bat and field well to be in the majors, so the pitcher should bring the same tools to the table.

There is nothing better in baseball than a pitcher hitting a home run.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #15
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2goody
I think pitchers batting is great. Position players have yo be able to bat and field well to be in the majors, so the pitcher should bring the same tools to the table.

There is nothing better in baseball than a pitcher hitting a home run.
I'd rather see a pitcher throw a no-hitter over one hitting a homer.
Heck, I'd rather see a pitcher throw a shut-out over one homering.
#44Syracuse
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #16
Pro

I don't think the end of this CBA will bring a DH to the NL....I hope it doesn't either. The strategy is so much greater in the NL with double switching...specially when extra innings comes in...it becomes a game of who can keep a PH around for that clutch time. If a DH is implemented as a whole I wont be angry but there is just no strategy there. Its just plug and play. NL is such a game in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »