Home

Realistic Hat Physics

This is a discussion on Realistic Hat Physics within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Realistic Hat Physics

Now I know you're gonna say I'm crazy or call me another one of those ungrateful fans who won't stop complaining. I'm not saying this is something I NEED or even something I expect them to do (probably ever). Of course I'd want SCEA to fix/improve the thousands of more important things first.

This is more a kernel of a thought. A dream. "A what if", if you will.

Baseball hats in the game have always looked a bit off. They're rigid (more like a helmet than a hat) and occasionally look somewhat oversized/tall or appear to be almost floating on players' heads. The issue is largely caused by a lack of cloth-hat physics (of course it's not there, we don't even have jersey physics) and by the fact that different people have totally different shaped/sized heads and real life baseball hats conform to the shape of the wearer.

Of course I totally understand why the one sized fits all approach to hats is necessary. I can't even imagine the man hours and processing power it would take to implement something like that. Not to mention you would probably have to scan the head of every major leaguer.

This is more to dream of a world where in-game hats not only conform to the heads of player models (in every possible variation, tilt and degree of curved brim) but when taken off they wrinkle and fold like the real thing. 😢

Maybe we'll see it in the year 2035 in MLB 35 The Show on the PS7 when they've perfected everything else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #2
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Realistic Hat Physics

I think some simulated bouncing when running would be cool. Or maybe some animations where it pops off when a player makes a diving catch, or hits a wall.

Folding while coming off could be cool, but probably weird to program into the game. But, it would definitely be a nice touch.

I don't know about actual physics while running, or anything like that though. That just seems like too many wasted resources for too little visible return.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 7

some of the hats do look off, and can make the game look a bit cartoony at times...mostly its guys with longer hair, as they do not have the physics in place to account for the hat "squeezing"the hair (as they have included this with the shin protectors this year)

Some heads remind me of this..
http://a2.web.wt-cdn.com/post_items/...S-facebook.jpg
Old 03-13-2015, 07:37 PM   #4
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

I think that the team will hopefully get to a point where they start to remake the entire uniform system to catch up with the power of the system today.

The fabric on all of the uniform needs some work. We might get to see it flap in the wind or players have buttons undone. Not to mention dynamic patches for different occasions.

The hats would be included in that, I would imagine. Better textures and real time effects on them (falling off, getting dirty/wet).

I have no idea when this will become a priority or feasible, but I hope that it is sooner than later. Perhaps a new format for the uniforms would allow the team to move away from the slot system that holds back the amount of uniforms and hats a team can have in the game and reduces the memory needed to store these large files on the game disc. Lots of other sports game have it so that they can update uniforms via system updates/patches. Lots of other games are not as good as The Show, too. So, while it is not a priority and we shouldn't demand it, we can let it be known that it would be nice to have one day and work with them when the time comes that it might become a reality.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:35 PM   #5
MVP

Hockeynut99's Arena

I am sure that takes a lot of game space and physics to get that to work in a video game. Maybe PS6 some day down the road will have better cloths physics.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

I don't need advanced 3D hat physics.....I'd be happy if they'd just remove that freakin' sweat stain so that my players aren't standing there with a sweat drenched hat in the first inning of a game in 40 degree temperatures.

Oh, and get rid of the forced long sleeves....if my guy wants bare arms in April, I don't see why the game should force me to wear sleeves.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:46 PM   #7
MVP

Hockeynut99's Arena

Sorry to say even if you are in snow weather playing even baseball you will sweat. lol.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:47 AM   #8
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Wow. Watching the Brewers vs Mariners around 2 hours in, Gomez slides into 3rd and loses his helmet in the process. Pretty awesome to see.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »