Home

MLB 14 The Show Online Servers Closing on June 18th

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show Online Servers Closing on June 18th within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #33
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Sony Shutting Down MLB 14 Online Servers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
I actually think it's pretty shady too. I mean, you are forcing people to basically let go of 14 and we all know in sports games, not everyone buys each iteration. You might call that "smart" and that's your opinion of course but it's also abandoning the 14 fanbase awfully quick.
I would be willing to bet that a VAST majority of the fanbase for MLB '14 will migrate over to MLB '15 before June.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 03-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #34
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: MLB 14 The Show Online Servers Closing on June 18th

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Check out the link in the updated OP.
Lol I did not see that
Old 03-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #35
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
I just wish there was a way we could still transfer save files between our Vita and PS3/PS4 if we wanted to continue a season/franchise/RTTS in that particular game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #36
MVP

sbauer318's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
On one hand, as someone in the IT field, I gotta believe the cost is pretty low. But I don't know what infrastructure/hardware is needed just to run and what kind of manpower they need to have staffed to keep it running.

On the other hand, I have to wonder how many users will be online with MLB 14 come June? A few thousand? A few hundred? Maybe the cost is not worth it from the business side of things, even if on the technical side the Sony San Diego team wants to keep some online up and running for the previous year's game. It may be outside of their control, the decision may come from higher up.

all speculation here...
I'm sure the team has no say in how long they can support online for. I'm sure some group up the hierarchy tells them. Either that, or they're given some budget and they're told to make it work.

I guess it just depends on what people think is acceptable in terms of online support for a sports game. I'm sure The Show is the least popular game out of all the big sports games, but if Madden, NBA, and FIFA decided that 11-14 months of server support was enough, I wonder how that would go over. Again, different audience and platform size, I get it. People still paid $60 for the game, though.

I've always thought that two years is a fair amount of time, regardless of the game. Some people are not going to buy a game every year.
NFL: Baltimore Ravens
Old 03-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #37
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

What company doesn't want you to buy their newest version of their product? It's a pretty common business practice.

It makes sense that the sooner they shut down 14 servers, the smoother 15 servers will run. And maybe this is necessary for their Online servers overhaul we've been hearing about.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #38
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Remember that online isn't just PvP, its the roster vault, cloud/cross saves, The Show Live, etc.

Once again I'll stress that this might be a UK/EUR only thing, it was posted on the UK blog after all...
And still do Roster/Player/Sliders via USB same as always in the past for those without online????
Old 03-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #39
MVP

sbauer318's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan16
What company doesn't want you to buy their newest version of their product? It's a pretty common business practice.

It makes sense that the sooner they shut down 14 servers, the smoother 15 servers will run. And maybe this is necessary for their Online servers overhaul we've been hearing about.
I doubt that the allocation of 14 servers will make much of a difference.
NFL: Baltimore Ravens
Old 03-20-2015, 01:50 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 3
As much as I like The Show, shutting down the online servers earlier than last year's game is a money grab by SCEA. I understand they are running a business and the main reason to to be successful in business is to make money. We are the consumers of their product and we have a choice to buy or not to buy this year's version of The Show. I choose not to buy MLB The Show 15 until I finish my online franchise, which I have completed 21 games of a 162 game season. Shutting down the servers in June does not allow me much time to finish my franchise.

Last edited by TLasorda; 03-20-2015 at 01:57 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »