Home

MLB 14 The Show Online Servers Closing on June 18th

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show Online Servers Closing on June 18th within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #65
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Sony Shutting Down MLB 14 Online Servers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
It's a justification if it saves them time and money not having to keep them going. Instead of complaining that they are shutting the severs down in June, you should be thankful. They could shut them down a lot sooner, like they have done in the past.
Thankful? Come on now, I know we love this game and series but thankful? Thats the total wrong atititude. People are allowed to voice some displeasure as long as its constructive.

I already have 15 Anniversary edition prepaid digitally. That doesnt mean I cant see something negative here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #66
MVP

sbauer318's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Sony Shutting Down MLB 14 Online Servers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
It's a justification if it saves them time and money not having to keep them going. Instead of complaining that they are shutting the severs down in June, you should be thankful. They could shut them down a lot sooner, like they have done in the past.
This is great. We should thank them for not screwing us as bad as they've done in the past. We all paid for the game. If they need the money bad enough to shut the servers off 13 months after the PS4 version launched, then something is wrong and they need to look elsewhere for the answer.

13 months of online support is not good enough, I'm sorry. I don't care what the game is and how much I love it.
NFL: Baltimore Ravens

Last edited by sbauer318; 03-21-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #67
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 14 The Show Online Servers Closing on June 18th

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMerc
...Sports games are, in my humble opinion, the truest example of what is wrong in gaming today. They offer the LEAST amount of value of all the genre's that exist today... What sports games REALLY are is a subscription model. To be quite frank, $60 is just too high of a price for new sports games as a subscription... Sports games have become a joke in the value department since the beginning of the LAST generation... There is just no value in sports games anymore FOR ME to justify buying a yearly release. In fact, that is not only true with sports games, that goes for games in general.
I can agree this holds true for some people, just not all of us. I'd rather play a sports game than any other genre, & if a game is $65, at 18 cents a day, I certainly get great value for my dollar for a year. My 2 cent opinion.
#44Syracuse
Old 03-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #68
Rookie

CurlyDub34's Arena

While I understand why those who are upset are angry about this, I just can't see how it makes sense from a business perspective to keep them open longer. It makes sense to give higher priority to customers who are paying for your product year in and year out as opposed to those who buy it once and don't get next years version or even the following years version. I would think that a vast majority of users upgrade to the next years game, especially since SCEA does a great job improving this game every year.

Assumption, shutting down the servers allows them to improve the online experience for MLB 15. If this assumption holds true, why would they dampen the experience of their current and more loyal customers by keeping the old servers open longer? Especially since there was a lot of backlash from the community about the quality of online play last year, another year or two of poor online playability could be disastrous for this product. More than likely they have done analysis on how much more money in stubs purchases they are losing by not keeping these open and I'm sure they found it more profitable to shut it down.

And frankly, as really the only option for a baseball game out there, you can't exactly boycott them if you want to play an up-to-date baseball game.

Just my two cents.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:34 AM   #69
Banned

rman's Arena

OVR: 4

Hello, I'm I the only one that cares about the cross play feature? Who cares about online play? Really, it has been garbage IMO forever. Once the servers goes so does the cross play for PS3, Vita and PS4. The big feature that was the highlight this year is carrying over your franchise, season and RTTS from 14 to 15. If you own a PS3 or Vita you are SOL you will not be able to carry it over to the PS4 after they shut down the servers unless you did before hand. That is some bad bad stuff in my book.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/mlb-1.../2300-6423829/

Skip to 11:50 once the severs get shut off the cloud is gone just like in MLB 13...right Ramone? I'm really upset that my MLB 13 franchise is obsolete to play between the PS3 and Vita because the cloud is gone.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:56 AM   #70
Rookie

In response to the people saying that shutting down the 14 servers is ok because it will help 15's online capabilities, if it really made that big of a difference why would Sony wait over 2 and a half months after MLB 15's release to do it?

Surely those two months are when the game has the most online traffic. Bad online was something they were skewered for last year so surely they'd want give themselves the best opportunity right out the gate.

I don't know for sure but I strongly doubt shutting down 14's servers will have much of an impact on MLB 15. There probably aren't even that many servers running MLB 14 as it is, right now.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #71
Rookie

cnh2os84's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
Hello, I'm I the only one that cares about the cross play feature? Who cares about online play? Really, it has been garbage IMO forever. Once the servers goes so does the cross play for PS3, Vita and PS4. The big feature that was the highlight this year is carrying over your franchise, season and RTTS from 14 to 15. If you own a PS3 or Vita you are SOL you will not be able to carry it over to the PS4 after they shut down the servers unless you did before hand. That is some bad bad stuff in my book.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/mlb-1.../2300-6423829/

Skip to 11:50 once the severs get shut off the cloud is gone just like in MLB 13...right Ramone? I'm really upset that my MLB 13 franchise is obsolete to play between the PS3 and Vita because the cloud is gone.

This is a BIG deal for me too! They need to find someway to make it that you can transfer saves from vita to PS4 with the usb cable instead of using the cloud if they are going to be shutting down servers.

The claim was that you can play the same franchise or RTTS on BOTH ps4 and vita and you should be able to do this longer than a year! Having usb file transfer support would allow this to be possible while still shutting down the servers.

Also, a new big feature was supposed to be that you can continue your franchise from MLB 14 with the new game. Well if you don't get MLB 15 till after the 14 servers are down you won't be able to do this, to my understanding.

Know that I do plan on purchasing MLB 15 for BOTH ps4 and vita and I should be able to play the same OFFLINE franchise on both for more than one year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #72
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnh2os84
This is a BIG deal for me too! They need to find someway to make it that you can transfer saves from vita to PS4 with the usb cable instead of using the cloud if they are going to be shutting down servers.

The claim was that you can play the same franchise or RTTS on BOTH ps4 and vita and you should be able to do this longer than a year! Having usb file transfer support would allow this to be possible while still shutting down the servers.

Also, a new big feature was supposed to be that you can continue your franchise from MLB 14 with the new game. Well if you don't get MLB 15 till after the 14 servers are down you won't be able to do this, to my understanding.

Know that I do plan on purchasing MLB 15 for BOTH ps4 and vita and I should be able to play the same OFFLINE franchise on both for more than one year!
I have less sympathy for people complaining about online game play with last year's servers. But this is definitely an issue if people are unable to transfer save files between their PS devices. If people have not voiced their concerns about this to the game maker, they need to do that now. Hopefully future releases of the game could be restructured to ensure the save files can be transferred either through supported cloud saves or through a USB thumb drive. Otherwise what is the point of hyping the cross platform year to year saves if they only support the feature for people with the latest release.

Last edited by My993C2; 03-22-2015 at 12:24 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »