Home

How to Handle Unreasonably Degraded Players in YtY Saves?

This is a discussion on How to Handle Unreasonably Degraded Players in YtY Saves? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
Pro

torpidbeaver's Arena

OVR: 2
How to Handle Unreasonably Degraded Players in YtY Saves?

In my Mariners franchise I just imported, poor Fernando Rodney has gone from a mid-80s closer to a low-70s in the space of half of a year, primarily because he's old. Whereas in this year's MLBtS, he remains a mid-80s player.

I believe the devs have stated that older players won't be losing their powers quite as dramatically this year, especially if they play well. In my 'chise, Rodney has collected 25 saves out of 27 opportunities, with a so-so 4.00 ERA.

I'm considering re-upping his abilities... not all the way to where MLBtS15 has him, but further up so that he's not a lodestone on my team. But once I do that, I feel obligated to do so for other older player who've been unfairly decimated by MLBtS14's clearly ageist rating system.

I feel a little short-changed by last year's "old man" penalty, but I don't want to go through and semi-arbitrarily give myself better players.

What's your take on this? Will you be playing God with your players? Or let the abilities fall where they may.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: How to Handle Unreasonably Degraded Players in YtY Saves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpidbeaver
In my Mariners franchise I just imported, poor Fernando Rodney has gone from a mid-80s closer to a low-70s in the space of half of a year, primarily because he's old. Whereas in this year's MLBtS, he remains a mid-80s player.

I believe the devs have stated that older players won't be losing their powers quite as dramatically this year, especially if they play well. In my 'chise, Rodney has collected 25 saves out of 27 opportunities, with a so-so 4.00 ERA.

I'm considering re-upping his abilities... not all the way to where MLBtS15 has him, but further up so that he's not a lodestone on my team. But once I do that, I feel obligated to do so for other older player who've been unfairly decimated by MLBtS14's clearly ageist rating system.

I feel a little short-changed by last year's "old man" penalty, but I don't want to go through and semi-arbitrarily give myself better players.

What's your take on this? Will you be playing God with your players? Or let the abilities fall where they may.
So wait did you import and then play half a season or had you played half a season on 14?
Old 03-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 0

It depends on what your goals are. If you goal is for your franchise to reflect real life, it's entirely appropriate to edit the player and increase their stats to reflect their real-life performance.

My goal is to use real life as a jumping off point and treat The Show as an alternate timeline. If a good player ends up being a bust or goes soft at age 38 even if they are tearing it up in real life, I've gotta bite the bullet and get rid of them or use them in as best I can.

That being said, older players can be useful. In MLB 14 I would often use John McDonald as a late-inning replacement because his fielding skills were still sharp at age 40. I'd usually put him in in the 8th or the 9th after my hard hitting 2nd baseman who couldn't catch a ball had his last AB. He ended up not retiring in my 2015 franchise (though Ichiro did), and I may go back to him as a free agent in a pinch if my fielding is crappy again.

Last edited by Spokker; 03-28-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

good thread. Do all players suffer severe degradation ? I say wait for 2015 mlbts rosters, then do yty saves. I am playing with 1987 rosters. should I just stop playing, if all players degrade ? thanks.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #5
Pro

torpidbeaver's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
So wait did you import and then play half a season or had you played half a season on 14?
I had already played half a season in '14.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »