Home

Directional hitting and what it simulates

This is a discussion on Directional hitting and what it simulates within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2
Directional hitting and what it simulates

I'd love to have a dev diary just on directional hitting and how it truly works. What is it modifying under the engine, the pluses and minuses.

I have some assumptions on what it means and what it simulates. I think using direction hitting as a righty trying to pull the ball on the inside corner basically means your batter is choking up on the bat. Gaining bat speed and control on that part of the plate while sacrificing the far side. Using directional hitting in the other direction means poking the ball to the opposite field. Hopefully the way they implement it doing that will result in less power. These are the things I'd be interested in learning.

I assume directional hitting up simulates a more uppercut swing.

I like the idea of this system and hopefully it will get further tweaked and tuned in future iterations. The camera shifting is like the icing on the cake and was a great idea too. As a timing hitting player I look forward to using this method when I get my hands on the game.

The other thing this made me think of in relation is.. What if we were able to adjust our stance in the batters box. Some players stand closer to the plate than others. Perhaps it would work better giving each player their own 'rating' on their profile of how close they stand to the plate, rather than making it fully manual. This could help differentiate those guys who tend to get hit by pitches more often. Just some food for thought.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Directional hitting and what it simulates

I don't plan to use it at all. I'm just going to use it as timing.
New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kentucky Wildcats, #18 Kyle Busch, #4B Jackie Boggs, #0 Scott Bloomquist
Old 03-30-2015, 04:46 PM   #3
MVP

Syce's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Directional hitting and what it simulates

i myself have never been good at directional hitting with timing, i just find it too difficult to know how to pull or go opposite in a video game. i just hit swing when the ball gets close enough and hopefully i smack the ball lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »