Home

Strategy for drafting a fantasy draft?

This is a discussion on Strategy for drafting a fantasy draft? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #9
Banned

CanOfCornCobb's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Strategy for drafting a fantasy draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
It all depends on what kind of a team you want to go for. Speed? Pitching first? Defense? A team that hits nothing but bombs?

Go into the draft with something in mind. Personally I like to go hitting for the first two rounds (at least) since those guys play every day. You can usually get a solid "Ace" in the 3rd round.

Pro tip (cheese?): Do a mock draft first to see where guys go, what the CPU does and how they field a team.
haha i ran so many fantasy drafts over the winter. i think it was either the 8th or 9th round where all cpu teams would draft a RP. I would always snag a top rated RP in the 7th round and draft a pos player in the 8th. Best team i ever drafted i used my first 5 picks on ace SP, drafted Morse and Mourneau for some pop, then drafted as many speedy/contact hitters as possible until I had a full lineup. Following that I drafted more speedy/contact hitters, but made sure to draft a player who hit from the opposite side of the plate so I could roll a 4 man platoon at various positions. Worked out well. Low scoring games, tons of singles, tons of stolen bases, and the occasional bomb from M&M
Old 03-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #10
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

I've done quite a few fantasy drafts myself and it generally would depend on my draft position.

Basically I drafted 1B or CF first, then I'd go SS, then SP, then 3B then C and then another SP, then go from there. It would really depend.

If Goldy fell to me, he'd go first pick easily. If it was Stanton, definitely first pick. I generally will get 2 starting pitchers in the first 7 rounds.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #11
Pro

Black59Razr's Arena

OVR: 1

I'm a fantasy draft nut and probably put way too much thought into it, but here is what I do:

1st two picks on big mashers if you want an offensive team. Or first 2 picks on aces if you want a pitching team. I usually like to use my first two picks on all around players; SS/CF/3B/C that can hit, run, steal, play D, durable.

Round it out with picks 3-4. Take 2 pitchers if you got 2 hitters or vice versa. I'll usually go value with pick 5.

Like the other guy mentioned, I like to take stud relievers with 6 & 7, before the CPU takes a run on them. During that run, you're free to pick whoever you want offensively. Since the CPU literally picks all RPs for 60+ straight picks.

Then, I just start filling holes with best available. Like I mentioned in another post, try to avoid scrolling down to cherry pick the A rated stud 18-20 year old prospects. If you want, you can draft like 30 of them and have a dynasty better than the Yankees

There is so many ways to go. I think you will find the most fun in running a few dozen mock drafts, to see where your dream first pick lands, and your 2nd & 3rd round dream steal picks land. (Cheesy I know!)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2015, 10:41 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknut7
What do you think about taking an ace in the first two rounds and then moving forward with that strategy from there?

My roomate and I do a fantasy draft every year and just play the 18 regular season games against one another and simulate the rest. I'm thinking you've got to build infield-out considering how much depth there is at LF/RF and how little there is at SS/2B

I usually don't take pitching until later that the 4th or so round, just because they only play every 5 games. There value to me is less because of that. I have always been able to pitch fairly decent without an ace as well. I agree with the face that you must build inside out but keep in mind that there may not be alot of difference between 2nd baseman when you look at the ones rated 6-10 but there may still be a jump between the #6 RF and the #10 RF.

As far as simming the majority of your games, your going to need some pitching then as the CPU will be left in charge. If you don't have great pitching, go for guys that can play defense well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »