Home

Directional Hitting (This Year) vs Timing Hitting (Last Year)

This is a discussion on Directional Hitting (This Year) vs Timing Hitting (Last Year) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-31-2015, 12:40 PM   #9
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Directional Hitting (This Year) vs Timing Hitting (Last Year)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Purist
I'm deciding between directional and zone myself. I have always been a zone player, but I'm not sure, or haven't found if we can still use swing influence for zone. In the past you could hold R2 and press in the direction on the stick, and the controller would vibrate, but this year doesn't seem to be the case.

If swing influence is missing for zone, I'll probably end up using directional so I can at least have some influence for sac fly's and bunts.
I think I am switching from Zone to Directional this year for no other reason than I mostly treated zone like timing hitting anyway and rarely moved the PCI.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:42 PM   #10
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

For guys playing the game (I will be in 2 hours yeah baby!!) are you able to use driectional in real time instead of having it pushed before the pitch.

Can you push the stick in the direction you want while simultaneously pressing the "X" button? Or must you pre load the direction before the pitch. On MVP 2005 you could use directional hitting in real time.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 03-31-2015, 12:43 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 14

I woukd think you can still use Directional the same way as Zone. I wonder how the reward and penalty system works now.

You typically want to go with the pitch anyway..like pull an inside pitch or push an outside pitch.

It will be a little tricky if you want to hit a low inside pitch in the air. My zone habit will want to aim down and in even though I should aim up and in...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2015, 12:55 PM   #12
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
For guys playing the game (I will be in 2 hours yeah baby!!) are you able to use driectional in real time instead of having it pushed before the pitch.

Can you push the stick in the direction you want while simultaneously pressing the "X" button? Or must you pre load the direction before the pitch. On MVP 2005 you could use directional hitting in real time.
I did not test it that close but I think during one of the stream it was said you could still press it as the pitch was coming in right up until you swung. I am not sure if simultaneously would work though.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:12 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 4

So is directional hitting basically like the hitting system used in the old MVP Baseball games? If the count is in you're favor, you can hold up and in on the analog stick and look for something to smash? And what if you don't move the stick at all? Does that result and weak shots of the pitch isn't right down the middle?
Old 03-31-2015, 01:22 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgotSyphillis
So is directional hitting basically like the hitting system used in the old MVP Baseball games?
More or less, but the effect of holding a direction is not nearly as powerful as it was in MVP (and this is a good thing IMO

Quote:
If the count is in you're favor, you can hold up and in on the analog stick and look for something to smash?
Again yes (and it's a great feeling to do that), but it's not like MVP's "hold up to homer" - you'll only have a greater chance of hitting the ball in the air - NOT farther.[/quote]

Quote:
And what if you don't move the stick at all? Does that result and weak shots of the pitch isn't right down the middle?
Then you're basically playing The Show's timing hitting from past years. You can still get hits from pitches even off the plate if you're fortunate and the hitter has good enough ratings to do so.

Check out my first game from the Photo/Video thread if you want to see old-school timing hitting in action - I only used the left analog to influence one at-bat when I was trying to advance a runner. The rest was normal swings without a direction.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:29 PM   #15
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgotSyphillis
And what if you don't move the stick at all? Does that result and weak shots of the pitch isn't right down the middle?
Not necessarily. Directional hitting is not the same as guessing the zone the pitch will be in. If you do not move the stick then it is essentially just timing. You have no control over the Plate Coverage Indicator. What your talking about sounds more like Zone hitting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2015, 01:32 PM   #16
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
Not necessarily. Directional hitting is not the same as guessing the zone the pitch will be in. If you do not move the stick then it is essentially just timing. You have no control over the Plate Coverage Indicator. What your talking about sounds more like Zone hitting.
Yeah, just to follow up because I think I've seen a bit of confusion regarding that distinction. Directional hitting has to do with the direction you want to hit the ball, not where the ball is pitched. Now there is a relation as if you choose to pull a pitch, the camera shifts slightly so you have a better view of the inside corner (I'm assuming the camera only shifts if hitting from a behind the batter view, but I'll find out tonight).

I believe you just press the direction once to establish how you want to try to hit the ball (push, pull, ground, air, or some combination). If you don't pick any direction, then it is essentially the same as timing hitting last year.

One last thing - directional hitting cannot be used with zone. You have to pick one or the other.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »