Home

MLB 15 The Show: Reviewer Day One Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show: Reviewer Day One Impressions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2015, 12:52 AM   #9
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: MLB 15 The Show: Reviewer Day One Impressions

Just got done playing my first game and it left me very frustrated. I managed just 3 hits. Now granted I was going up against Jose Fernandez who is insanely good but still it was frustrating because there were 3 or 4 hard hit fly balls that just did not go anywhere. Just lazy cans of corn.

On the other side of the scale I gave up just 2 runs but they were both very frustrating runs to give up. One scored on a wild pitch that only got a few feet away from the catcher. I had plenty of time to run back towards the plate and tag the runner out before he scored but I was hitting the button to try to throw it to my pitcher who was nowhere near home. I have no idea why he didn't cover home but by the time I realized he wasn't covering home and that I was going to have to run and try to tag the runner out it was too late and he was safe.

The next run scored on a perfectly executed squeeze play. But it never would have happened had my pickoff throw earlier in the inning not sailed into the stands. The frustrating thing about that was that I wasn't even trying to pick off the guy. I was just trying to throw over so I could get a different pitch to throw because I hit the wrong button and selected the wrong pitch.

The other very frustrating thing that happened to me was after one of the 3 hits I got I wanted to attempt to steal 2nd and my baserunner took off for 2nd before the pitch was thrown and turned into a dead duck. I have no on early idea why that happened so I cannot prevent it from happenening again.

Just very frustrating, it's like I never played The Show before and I've been playing it since 2007.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 04-01-2015, 03:31 AM   #10
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4
"The Show seems so comfortable in its own skin that it seems uncomfortable with the idea of leaving it behind."

It left pure analog enthusiasts way behind this year....... great game I'm gonna love it regardless but this was a mistake IMO.

Please please please mention the changes to analog batting in your full review. I know from reading the forums that for users of the system it's not being well received. We need it to be mentioned so that the developers take note and hopefully bring it back next year. It was the most realistic way of hitting and it was even promoted as such in the media in 2011 when it was introduced as pointed out by a os member in the forums. We really need it as an option.

Last edited by CujoMatty; 04-01-2015 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:32 AM   #11
Just started!

OVR: 0

What are the changes to the analog hitting?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2015, 06:35 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhousegates
What are the changes to the analog hitting?
You no longer have to pull back on the right stick for stride.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #13
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19
I've seen more pitchers dodging balls back up the box in one gMe of 2015 than I have seen all of last year.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 2
I definitely agree with most of your list. The game is much smoother and has a better level of polish. The directional hitting adds a whole new wrinkle to the at-bat. I like it a lot.

That said, I strongly agree with the crowd noise/reaction to plays. It would be nice to see commentary and environment audio revamped next.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:41 AM   #15
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
Just got done playing my first game and it left me very frustrated. I managed just 3 hits. Now granted I was going up against Jose Fernandez who is insanely good but still it was frustrating because there were 3 or 4 hard hit fly balls that just did not go anywhere. Just lazy cans of corn.

On the other side of the scale I gave up just 2 runs but they were both very frustrating runs to give up. One scored on a wild pitch that only got a few feet away from the catcher. I had plenty of time to run back towards the plate and tag the runner out before he scored but I was hitting the button to try to throw it to my pitcher who was nowhere near home. I have no idea why he didn't cover home but by the time I realized he wasn't covering home and that I was going to have to run and try to tag the runner out it was too late and he was safe.

The next run scored on a perfectly executed squeeze play. But it never would have happened had my pickoff throw earlier in the inning not sailed into the stands. The frustrating thing about that was that I wasn't even trying to pick off the guy. I was just trying to throw over so I could get a different pitch to throw because I hit the wrong button and selected the wrong pitch.

The other very frustrating thing that happened to me was after one of the 3 hits I got I wanted to attempt to steal 2nd and my baserunner took off for 2nd before the pitch was thrown and turned into a dead duck. I have no on early idea why that happened so I cannot prevent it from happenening again.

Just very frustrating, it's like I never played The Show before and I've been playing it since 2007.
You've played this since 2007? Because you're not acting like it. Why throw to first when you didn't like your pitch instead of just stepping off the mound? The baserunner is stealing because you're accidentally squeezing the trigger on the controller during the at-bat (and, yes, you are. this isn't a glitch. it's a well-known common mistake). I think you're a bit rusty. Also, maybe play a few more games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2015, 12:18 PM   #16
MVP

Lisac's Arena

OVR: 0
Love the game. Hate they changed some of the fielding views when batting!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »