Home

MLB 15 The Show: Reviewer Day One Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show: Reviewer Day One Impressions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-31-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
MLB 15 The Show: Reviewer Day One Impressions

There are only a few things I'm sure of in this world, and one of them is that every spring MLB: The Show is going to release as one of the best sports video games of the year. There is a certain comfort to it all. The game doesn't change much, new features don't even have to be used (which really should be a staple in all sports games), and the game isn't going to have a single bug in it that is going to ruin my experience.

But when does this comfort become apathy? Baseball, more so than almost any other sport, thrives on tradition. The Show, in return, seems to do the same. Reliably consistent, the series makes additions that don't really change anything, but rather enhance the experience. As other games evolve and devolve by taking chances, The Show seems so comfortable in its own skin that it seems uncomfortable with the idea of leaving it behind. Often times, this works in its favor. Other times, it makes me wonder when and if we'll ever see MLB: The Show take another big leap forward.

Read More - MLB 15 The Show: Reviewer Day One Impressions (Written by - Ben Vollmer)
Platform: PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1
I kinda disagree with some of your cons.

- The AI in the outfield is the best I've seen this year. It's actually incredibly fun to watch and play the fielding in this year's game.

- In the 4 games I've played so far, the pitcher's dodge balls that come right for their head. I know the rebounds off pitchers happened alot last year, but I'm not seeing it this year yet. That will probably change though.

- I am happy to say I haven't experienced any framerate issues. I thought there were some watching Twitch streams but actually playing the game is silky smooth.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 15 The Show: Reviewer Day One Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS

There are only a few things I'm sure of in this world, and one of them is that every spring MLB: The Show is going to release as one of the best sports video games of the year. There is a certain comfort to it all. The game doesn't change much, new features don't even have to be used (which really should be a staple in all sports games), and the game isn't going to have a single bug in it that is going to ruin my experience.

But when does this comfort become apathy? Baseball, more so than almost any other sport, thrives on tradition. The Show, in return, seems to do the same. Reliably consistent, the series makes additions that don't really change anything, but rather enhance the experience. As other games evolve and devolve by taking chances, The Show seems so comfortable in its own skin that it seems uncomfortable with the idea of leaving it behind. Often times, this works in its favor. Other times, it makes me wonder when and if we'll ever see MLB: The Show take another big leap forward.

Read More - MLB 15 The Show: Reviewer Day One Impressions (Written by - Ben Vollmer)
I don't agree with anything at all here, there is so much wrong with what is said here....The show is fabulous so a total over haul doesnt make sense,m but what they do change does indeed make a big difference in the details of how the game feels and plays...Baseball is a game of details and so is the show.

After one game the improvements were obvious in fielding, hit variety, graphics, presentation. All added to what feels like a vastly improved game.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
Rookie

Re: MLB 15 The Show: Reviewer Day One Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
- In the 4 games I've played so far, the pitcher's dodge balls that come right for their head. I know the rebounds off pitchers happened alot last year, but I'm not seeing it this year yet. That will probably change though.
I'm 22 games into my franchise (Hitting only/auto play pitching) and I have seen the pitcher get hit twice this season. In MLB14, it happened nearly every game. This is definitely an improvement.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:52 PM   #5
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23
Great write up. If you love baseball, this game is a gift. But there are areas where it gets "stale" such as the sounds (commentary, organ music, crowd, ambiance, etc.) and the fielding (such as the control (or lack of) you have over the catcher when he catches the ball on a throw to home with the runner bearing down the line). In time, SCEA will probably enhance this and much more, but only time will tell. In the meantime, great write up. Have fun!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2015, 10:23 PM   #6
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

OVR: 27
Thanks, Inkcil. I definitely love the game and can see some people are already misconstruing my critiques for the game as me disliking it. That's okay, nature of the beast I suppose.

Extreme, I've had a limited amount of time with the game as well so I'm sure some things will change for both of us!
Old 03-31-2015, 11:34 PM   #7
Pro

Jakeness23's Arena

OVR: 27
Just wish there was more individualization of players by the way they move. Also, catches still get up and out of their stance, pick up the ball, and are ready to throw before the batter is out of the box on a dropped their strike or a bunt. Also, on the dropped third strike, they still throw across the foul line instead of on the outside of it.

Other than that the game looks and plays really, really well.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:27 AM   #8
Rookie

On hit and runs, runners slide into second base even if the batter gets a base hit. Does anyone know if this can be disabled?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »