Home

MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #57
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions

From the sound of things and communicating with some of you guys on here, it does, in fact, sound like directional hitting is basically MVP's hitting. Which, if completely true, is the greatest thing for baseball video games in my opinion. However, there seems to be some disconnect still (at least with me) for what the developers implied about directional hitting compared to the perceived similarities to MVP's hitting engine.

In the video streams I remember them using directional hitting and talking about how it really helps certain approaches. Like, we've said, say you've got a 3-1 or 2-0 count, you can sit on that fastball inside, or wherever. On the videos it showed them holding the analog down in a particular direction, basically looking for that location. If it wasn't there, they didn't swing.

I guess my question is this, why would you EVER do that? Why not watch the pitch and try to pick up on where it's going and THEN move the analog stick in the correct direction? It seems completely useless to ever move in a particular direction until after the pitch is thrown.

I'm going to tinker with directional some more tonight for sure but as it stands I think I'll be turning the camera shift and the yellow indicators off. That way it's practically MVP's hitting engine. Recognize pitch, adjust, and swing.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 04-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #58
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
From the sound of things and communicating with some of you guys on here, it does, in fact, sound like directional hitting is basically MVP's hitting. Which, if completely true, is the greatest thing for baseball video games in my opinion. However, there seems to be some disconnect still (at least with me) for what the developers implied about directional hitting compared to the perceived similarities to MVP's hitting engine.

In the video streams I remember them using directional hitting and talking about how it really helps certain approaches. Like, we've said, say you've got a 3-1 or 2-0 count, you can sit on that fastball inside, or wherever. On the videos it showed them holding the analog down in a particular direction, basically looking for that location. If it wasn't there, they didn't swing.

I guess my question is this, why would you EVER do that? Why not watch the pitch and try to pick up on where it's going and THEN move the analog stick in the correct direction? It seems completely useless to ever move in a particular direction until after the pitch is thrown.

I'm going to tinker with directional some more tonight for sure but as it stands I think I'll be turning the camera shift and the yellow indicators off. That way it's practically MVP's hitting engine. Recognize pitch, adjust, and swing.
I definitely had to turn the camera shift off. That was messing with my strikezone awareness too much.

My challenge with this mode was when I recognized a pitch down in the zone, a lot of times I pressed down out of Zone mentality habits. This made it tough batting against a sinker ball pitcher when I was trying to stay out of a DP.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators

Last edited by aukevin; 04-01-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:22 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Is there a definitive developer statement about DH that explains how it works with reference to specific situations?
Old 04-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #60
Pro

RLebron12's Arena

OVR: 1
MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39

Because of its a 3-0 count...you don't just swing at any pitch in the strike zone you want YOUR pitch. So for me depending on the batter I would probably expect a fastball and would want to pull it so I would move the directional hitting to my pull side and if it's in my zone that I am looking for I'm taking a hack at it. If not I'm not swinging even if it's a strike. Players do that all the time, just like when they are looking for a certain pitch in certain situations. But of course you don't use this for every pitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Baseball is a game, yes. It is also a business. But what is most truly is is disguised combat. For all its gentility, its almost leisurely pace, baseball is violence under wraps.” -Willie Mays (The Say Hey Kid)
Old 04-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #61
MVP

BL8001's Arena

OVR: 0

| <- |.....| -> |

It works like that. You divide the plate in 3rds.

As a righty you are covering either middle in, middle (the plate) or middle out.

If you want to hit to the right side you would look middle out, shifting the camera over and now this is your new eye zone. Now anything located middle or out can be taken to the right side with a higher percentage.

From what I have seen, this doesn't mean it will go to the right side automatically even if all the stars align, it just raises the chances significantly.

If you sit middle in as righty if a righty throws a slider off the inside of the plate you should feast on it.

Think of this as a direct way to attack pitching. A pitcher can bend the ball in or out or down or throw it straight.

If they are cutting or sliding the ball you can now raise your chances of hitting those pitches by selecting where you choose to hunt.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #62
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

I've used Directional Hitting a few times so far and am really impressed with the mechanic. Each time I've approached the AB with a specific plan in mind, whether that be trying to hit a grounder to the right-side to advance a runner or looking on the inner-half of the plate if a pitcher is pounding that area of the strike zone or I am up 2-0, 3-1 in the count.

It really adds a nice layer of strategy to an already amazing game.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 04-01-2015, 03:54 PM   #63
Rookie

Jeter2's Arena

OVR: 0

To clarify because i'm still a bit confused, are you guys picking spots to aim for before the pitch is thrown and hold the left stick in that direction before swinging.

Or, are you reacting as the ball comes to the plate to choose if youre aiming inside or outside?

I understand the concept of on a 3-0 or 3-1 count sitting on an inside fastball etc...

Thanks in Advance
Old 04-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #64
Pro

RLebron12's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeter2
To clarify because i'm still a bit confused, are you guys picking spots to aim for before the pitch is thrown and hold the left stick in that direction before swinging.

Or, are you reacting as the ball comes to the plate to choose if youre aiming inside or outside?

I understand the concept of on a 3-0 or 3-1 count sitting on an inside fastball etc...

Thanks in Advance

If I am using directional hitting in certain situations I am holding the analog to the side before the pitch is thrown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Baseball is a game, yes. It is also a business. But what is most truly is is disguised combat. For all its gentility, its almost leisurely pace, baseball is violence under wraps.” -Willie Mays (The Say Hey Kid)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »