Home

MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2015, 04:04 PM   #65
Pro

Scrapps's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: MLB 15 The Show: Directional Hitting Impressions

Yikes.

So, just to confirm. If I want to hit the ball in the air, push and hold the LS up THROUGHOUT the duration of the swing?

I cannot preload my desire for a fly ball with a simple click up (and release), prior to swinging, correct?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #66
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

This thread is so full of confusion that I actually got confused reading it. Here's how directional hitting works as far as I'm concerned:

You can "pre-load" your direction if you want. You do not have to do this. But if you're looking to move a runner from 2nd to 3rd with no outs, you can choose to look to the outside of the plate as a RHH to get "your pitch". The camera slides to make seeing that part of the plate easier. Again, you do not have to do this.

You can also choose to use the directional hitting as the pitch is coming in. Let's say it's a pitch inside on a RHH, but you want to try to take it the opposite field for a hit and run. So, you time your swing (yes you still have to time the button press on the pitch) and you can try to influence the ball to the right side by using the RS and pressing to the right. This should help some if your timing is slightly off and you swing too early. You must hold the RS down in that direction as you are swinging as far as I know. I don't believe there's a lock you can use to keep it in one direction.

You can also choose to use the directional hitting to have better odds to hit the ball where the pitch is located. Last night I hit a HR with Hosmer off Bumgarner on an up and in pitch and influenced it up and in as the pitch was coming in.

Directional hitting helps you influence the direction you want the ball to go and helps the chances of a ball going in the air or on the ground. It's basically a less skill oriented PCI so you don't have to nail the PCI on the inside or outside of the ball to influence the direction of the hit.

This is how I see it, I believe I am right but if I'm not I'll gladly accept that fact.

Last edited by BA2929; 04-01-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:08 PM   #67
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Guys it's pretty simple. It's all in its name.

Directional hitting. Think direction.

Need to hit a fly ball to drive that run in from 3rd? Hit up.

Got one out, a runner on 3rd, with the infield playing back conceding the run on a ground ball? Press down.

Don't confuse this with zone or guess pitch locations.

Pick the direction you want to try and hit the ball in. It's really that simple.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:08 PM   #68
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapps
Yikes.

So, just to confirm. If I want to hit the ball in the air, push and hold the LS up THROUGHOUT the duration of the swing?

I cannot preload my desire for a fly ball with a simple click up (and release), prior to swinging, correct?
You can't preload have to hold it.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #69
Rookie

Jeter2's Arena

OVR: 0

Thank you all for clarifying, my only issue I suppose is going back to Zone hitting or retraining my mind how to hit. If a pitch is low and in, I will automatically move the left stick low and in creating a ground ball if I understand this correctly.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:33 PM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskal67
My Impression

I like it, it feels natural to push toward Right Felt to try to drive/pus a ball to Right, Left field to try to Drive/push a ball to left. Similarly with fly/ground influences.

As far as MVP 2005 Loved it. This is not the same, similar maybe, but not the same. I could hit HRs at will with up/pull influence all day with Ken Griffey Jr.
I totally agree. Your comparison to MVP is spot on. The first couple of games I played frustrated me because I was using directional the same way I used hit in MVP and could go deep almost at will with lefty power hitters.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:51 PM   #71
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeter2
Or, are you reacting as the ball comes to the plate to choose if youre aiming inside or outside?
This is what I've been doing, but my questions are whether or not this is an effective method that can work.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #72
MVP

OVR: 3

This is nice feature, and pretty well done in my opinion. It basically adds an element to timing hitting by giving you more control. Timing is still the dominant factor, and I would say that more accurately it helps you influence hit direction, not control it.

Playing yesterday I hit a HR with Rusney Castillo to center while pushing to right. Seems off? Well, I swung early. Then with Panda I went looking for something inside to pull, got it, pushed up and right (hitting LH) with good timing and roped a double off the RF wall.

For those who say it's not realistic, you're wrong. Timing is not the only factor in hit direction, bat angle also plays a factor. Leaving direction up to timing only, like in 14, makes things too arbitrary.

To the dev team, job well done! Only thing I'd say is, weave it into the game more: put up an indicator when a hitter comes to the plate, along side the defensive alignment indicator. This would let users know a hitter's tendencies, so that they could hit to those tendencies, or shift their defense if they are on defense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »