Home

Anyone else noticing CPU cheese?

This is a discussion on Anyone else noticing CPU cheese? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 12:44 AM   #49
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Anyone else noticing CPU cheese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Does it really matter what anyone says?
The devs have repeatedly stated that the coding and logic throughout the game....from 1st pitch of the season to the last and all the way through runs the same chances with no extra boosts....sudden slants in hitting/pitching.....scripted play
I've heard the "I know it's coming" line for years.
Have always asked that the game gets paused...saved...uploaded and then tell us "what's going to happen" so the community can see if these claims hold water.
Zilch. For YEARS.

So I ask you.....does what you're asking REALLY matter?

I'll say honestly....no.

M.K.
Knight165
Fair enough and not everyone here calls it a comeback code so does pitcher confidence still play a huge role like I described above with my add on ?

and for the record not everyone is calling this a comeback its a boost as he described in the late innings kinda like if your reliever gives up a hit right when he comes in your almost better off bringing in a new pitcher do to his hit in confidence or even better leaving in your setup man to close the game that has full confidence and that also isnt realistic .
Old 04-03-2015, 01:15 AM   #50
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Those who feels that CPU cheats or gets boost in certain situations, it is DEFINITELY not any scripting or forced situations that lead to your frustrations.

Unless you guys stop distracting any discussions related to topics that might potentially touch on the issue (by how you do not trust the words directly from the devs and constantly bringing up your conspiracy theories), you are unfortunately doing disservice to your own cause by preventing any potential "improvements" that could actually come out from more meaningful discussions.

Over the years, the several SDS devs have been pretty open about discussing the internals of the game, and because of that we get to learn quite a bit about the game. We should be building on that common knowledge.

I assure you that the devs are actually taking the feedback from those who feel "cheated" at times quite seriously. If you want some substantial change, though, you need to provide more meaningful feedback than simply accusing the game of mechanisms that do not exist.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #51
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

The thing about this whole issue is that I really believe both camps see the same thing, but they see it in two different ways. I will be the first to admit that crazy stuff happens on HOF pitching and above. This, for example, made me want to toss a controller fastball through my TV:

Carlos Martinez's Contact vs RHP rating: 2. He shouldn't be going Vlad Guererro - period. Especially after flailing at a similar pitch just before it. I don't feel like the "it's baseball" line applies in this case.

But it doesn't happen because the game scripted it to, or because I was up one run. It's because HOF does boost the CPU's attributes, but it does so for the entire game - always, when you play on that level. I believe we've been told that before by the devs (though I don't remember where), and it's been evident in past years by the size of the CPU's PCI as compared to your own.

I very,very rarely see things like the above happen on All-Star, because it's intended to be more balanced.

I want to like HOF - a boosted CPU puts the fear of being punished for mistakes into you and causes you to pitch more cautiously, thus giving up walks. But it's pretty immersion breaking when a play like the above happens.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #52
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Yesterday I play against the Braves and I'm leading going into the 9th 4-2. I end up losing 5-4. Comeback code? CPU cheesing? No, I just blew a save, period. My closer was missing his marks and they took advantage of that.

Today I play the Nationals and win 10-0 and give up only 2 hits. Then I beat the Tigers 1-0 after that. If the CPU is cheesing how come I ran away from the Nats, and then I was able to win a 1-0 game against the Tigers?

Oh, by the way, I used the same guy to close out the Tigers that blew the save 2 games before.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #53
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
The thing about this whole issue is that I really believe both camps see the same thing, but they see it in two different ways. I will be the first to admit that crazy stuff happens on HOF pitching and above. This, for example, made me want to toss a controller fastball through my TV:

Carlos Martinez's Contact vs RHP rating: 2. He shouldn't be going Vlad Guererro - period. Especially after flailing at a similar pitch just before it. I don't feel like the "it's baseball" line applies in this case.

But it doesn't happen because the game scripted it to, or because I was up one run. It's because HOF does boost the CPU's attributes, but it does so for the entire game - always, when you play on that level. I believe we've been told that before by the devs (though I don't remember where), and it's been evident in past years by the size of the CPU's PCI as compared to your own.

I very,very rarely see things like the above happen on All-Star, because it's intended to be more balanced.

I want to like HOF - a boosted CPU puts the fear of being punished for mistakes into you and causes you to pitch more cautiously, thus giving up walks. But it's pretty immersion breaking when a play like the above happens.
Thats just baseball to me though. Things can happen at anytime that everyone knows probably shouldnt have. Im pretty confident i could get a hit if you give me 100 chances. Ive never played baseball at all.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #54
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Does it really matter what anyone says?
The devs have repeatedly stated that the coding and logic throughout the game....from 1st pitch of the season to the last and all the way through runs the same chances with no extra boosts....sudden slants in hitting/pitching.....scripted play
I've heard the "I know it's coming" line for years.
Have always asked that the game gets paused...saved...uploaded and then tell us "what's going to happen" so the community can see if these claims hold water.
Zilch. For YEARS.

So I ask you.....does what you're asking REALLY matter?

I'll say honestly....no.

M.K.
Knight165
Let me ask you a question.
For someone who claims to be a pillar of the show community and who has nothing but good intentions for the game and the community, is it possible for you to broach this subject without being so insulting and pompous? Perhaps instead of claiming the game doesn't have any special code and asking us to provide proof, why don't you provide proof that there isn't other than a developer, who would stand to lose their job and sales, claiming there isn't? Do you have coding proof that there isn't? Didn't think so.

As I said, I'm a firm believer that the CPU is either given a boost or the strike zone is intentionally shrunk in the later innings of a close game to promote competition. Do I have proof of this? Only my personal experiences. Am I allowed to have an opinion on the subject? Damn straight, just as much as you are.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #55
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Those who feels that CPU cheats or gets boost in certain situations, it is DEFINITELY not any scripting or forced situations that lead to your frustrations.

Unless you guys stop distracting any discussions related to topics that might potentially touch on the issue (by how you do not trust the words directly from the devs and constantly bringing up your conspiracy theories), you are unfortunately doing disservice to your own cause by preventing any potential "improvements" that could actually come out from more meaningful discussions.

Over the years, the several SDS devs have been pretty open about discussing the internals of the game, and because of that we get to learn quite a bit about the game. We should be building on that common knowledge.

I assure you that the devs are actually taking the feedback from those who feel "cheated" at times quite seriously. If you want some substantial change, though, you need to provide more meaningful feedback than simply accusing the game of mechanisms that do not exist.
Seems like a good time to quote this.

I tried.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #56
MVP

BL8001's Arena

OVR: 0

I have never thought there was scripting in this game before 15.

I am still fighting thinking it exists...but, like bcruise showed above, baseball logic of pitching down to influence ground balls seems ignored by the game engine.

I wrote elsewhere here about playing the cpu O's in DD mode. I have machado in my squad so it was me machado and cpu machado.

Cpu machado went 5-5. Including hitting 2 homers on sinkers I threw down in the zone. Both would have been balls if he had taken them. How he got the bat under to elevate I will never know because the replay made no sense, line drive over 2nd base? Ok but no, homers.

Meanwhile my machado got a fastball up that was a borderline meatball I timed perfectly and popped up for an easy out.

I dont want this to be the case, but I am starting to feel scripting in the hitting. Bizarre things are happening with batting and the results dont match the situations so I am having a hard time matching up the incongruencies with what I have seen watching real baseball all my life. Or even just playing all the releases of the show.

There are times in this game where situations happen and you feel in your soul what should happen yet what plays out is not it.

Miggy squares up a 2 seamer thrown middle in and grounds out weakly to first? What?

All this being said, something still draws me in and I keep playing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »