Home

Anyone upset about the cut back of presentation?

This is a discussion on Anyone upset about the cut back of presentation? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #17
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Anyone upset about the cut back of presentation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
I think they are basing some of these design decisions on the automated feedback they get when folks play the game. Their stats probably tell them that the majority of people X through the scenes that you have all been talking about, therefore, in an effort to speed up gameplay (a complaint by some) and to listen to what their stats are telling them, they decide to remove or alter certain things we have grown accustomed to and love.

What set Sony apart from the other developers was their ability to replicate the game of baseball and all of its nuances...the little things, so to speak. In a game as slow paced as baseball is, those things are necessary and appreciated by many. It looks like they are moving in another direction now though.

As all have said, why not leave in and let us choose to X through them if we want. I know that I have done both - xing through when in more of a hurry, but also have watched many of the cut scenes or follow ups (like foul balls) when I am taking a more leisurely pace to playing the game.

Don't take choices away from us. It can't be due to lack of space or size considerations. Go back to your original philosophy - making a game that thoroughly represents what we see on the field. Dull the lines between video game and reality. Subtracting these things is a step backwards for many of your most loyal fans.

Please reconsider.

C
The philosophy right now is dollar signs, the biggest complaint non baseball fans have is pace of the game, and lack of "action". MLB The Show now goes out of it's way and gives that to them, and if it offends 15% of the rest of the games community and barely 1% even decide not to buy the series on that one issue, they feel within their right to exercise that decision.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #18
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
I think they are basing some of these design decisions on the automated feedback they get when folks play the game. Their stats probably tell them that the majority of people X through the scenes that you have all been talking about, therefore, in an effort to speed up gameplay (a complaint by some) and to listen to what their stats are telling them, they decide to remove or alter certain things we have grown accustomed to and love.

What set Sony apart from the other developers was their ability to replicate the game of baseball and all of its nuances...the little things, so to speak. In a game as slow paced as baseball is, those things are necessary and appreciated by many. It looks like they are moving in another direction now though.

As all have said, why not leave in and let us choose to X through them if we want. I know that I have done both - xing through when in more of a hurry, but also have watched many of the cut scenes or follow ups (like foul balls) when I am taking a more leisurely pace to playing the game.

Don't take choices away from us. It can't be due to lack of space or size considerations. Go back to your original philosophy - making a game that thoroughly represents what we see on the field. Dull the lines between video game and reality. Subtracting these things is a step backwards for many of your most loyal fans.

Please reconsider.

C
Choice is key. I'm with you on this, sometimes I'm skipping cut scenes like crazy and then other times I'm nearly watching the whole game because I'm fully immersed.

Quick counts and shortened games were brought in for people who are too impatient or font have enough time to play full games. Also fast play.

At least give us the choice. I'm also with the OP, in that sometimes that few seconds watching a ball go out of play helps to ease pressure in a big situation.

Don't take away at least the option for us to see more of the other things.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #19
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmad
Jeez. All the negativity on the forum is not helping my decision to splash the cash on a Ps4, or even the new game, for my Ps3. I stuck with 13 last year and am just completing 2015 with Astros (play every game) don't skip any parts........and to be honest judging by the negative opinions and things that are missing from the new game, will stick with what I've got another year. Its a lot of money SCEA....STOP TAKING THINGS OUT !!!
I'd recommend you have just a slightly bigger reason for purchasing that PS4 than just one series. I actually bought the PS4 on the strength of MLB 14 alone, barely turning it on until the game released. Despite my various issues ultimately, for me MLB 14 has been a significant enough part in why I'm very happy to own the system. Other titles and experiences have put my fun with PS4 over the top though.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #20
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
2 design choices I am not happy about.

1. If a replay of a batted ball occurs we do not get the next batters walk up. Huge mistake. Just huge. And highly annoying.
I heard sometimes the batter's stats are supposed to be delayed after the first pitch (like this happens in real life). I haven't seen this, though. It shows the batter again, but the stats don't pop up.

Quote:
2. Foul ball follow camera....why elminate it for those of us immersed in the real tiem style presentation which has been bascically stripped away. I like seeing roped foul balls...heck all of them for that matter. Really dissapointed with that decisoin.
Which are you referring to? If you mean the "obvious foul balls" where there is no camera cutaway, this is one of my favorite features. I hated how they showed foul balls that are just flying into the stands. Not "realistic enough" for me, especially when pitching in broadcast camera. It would exhaust me because of the number of fouls the CPU would hit that I'd have to be on high alert every time contact was made. I think the right choice was made here (but if there was a toggle option, I would not be offended).
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 04-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #21
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I heard sometimes the batter's stats are supposed to be delayed after the first pitch (like this happens in real life). I haven't seen this, though. It shows the batter again, but the stats don't pop up.

Which are you referring to? If you mean the "obvious foul balls" where there is no camera cutaway, this is one of my favorite features. I hated how they showed foul balls that are just flying into the stands. Not "realistic enough" for me, especially when pitching in broadcast camera. It would exhaust me because of the number of fouls the CPU would hit that I'd have to be on high alert every time contact was made. I think the right choice was made here (but if there was a toggle option, I would not be offended).
Well that is just it. It was a toggle option. Now it's gone.

Again I love the game. It's crack. But I still will always let them know when I think a design choice is questionable.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Pure analog dumbed down and now this. Not a deal breaker by any means, but not exactly a positive sign going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2015, 01:02 PM   #23
Rookie

Cman9's Arena

OVR: 0

Am I the only one who doesn't care about seeing every foul ball? It sure seems like it. Now on the other hand I do miss the post game highlights. Have no ides why they removed that from the game.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:07 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
2 design choices I am not happy about.

1. If a replay of a batted ball occurs we do not get the next batters walk up. Huge mistake. Just huge. And highly annoying.

2. Foul ball follow camera....why elminate it for those of us immersed in the real tiem style presentation which has been bascically stripped away. I like seeing roped foul balls...heck all of them for that matter. Really dissapointed with that decisoin.

I love the game. It s the best vetsion yet no question. But taking away crtical presentation elements like those two....bad design choices for hardcore baseball fans imo.
The issue is not whether certain folks button thru this animation and therefore no big deal to them. The issue is realism, which SCEA strives for. So taking out foul balls to me is like taking out home runs. They are batted balls. We should see all batted balls. Many of the same folks who say they don't care about seeing foul balls are the ones who demand seeing the home run hitter round every base. Yet the rounding of the bases after a home run is less significant than foul ball flight because after a home run we know the player will touch each base. I am not saying remove the home run trot animation, which I like, but I am saying if you don't care about the foul balls, then why aren't you just using fast play? The baseball animation purists don't have the full opposite option.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »