Home

Anyone upset about the cut back of presentation?

This is a discussion on Anyone upset about the cut back of presentation? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:13 PM   #25
Pro

ARoid1313's Arena

OVR: 3
Anyone upset about the cut back of presentation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de
The philosophy right now is dollar signs, the biggest complaint non baseball fans have is pace of the game, and lack of "action". MLB The Show now goes out of it's way and gives that to them, and if it offends 15% of the rest of the games community and barely 1% even decide not to buy the series on that one issue, they feel within their right to exercise that decision.

I would also suggest they made the cpu more aggressive to speed the pace of the game. Seriously they swing at every first pitch if it's within the strike zone, even on higher difficulties. I'm getting through 9 inning games using 70 pitches or even less.

Makes the game go by way quicker so perhaps this was by design..

Overall there are a bunch of improvements, however there are just as many negatives this year that offset the positives imo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2015, 10:35 PM   #26
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Anyone upset about the cut back of presentation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich
I am saying if you don't care about the foul balls, then why aren't you just using fast play? The baseball animation purists don't have the full opposite option.
I care about the look of an authentic broadcast, and one thing for certain is that the camera does not cut to for sure out of play foul balls on TV in real life, which is why it's nice they don't do it here. Plus, cutting away normally makes you believe that ball is put into play, so it's pretty exhausting (I think that's the word I used last time as well since it's fitting) to make believe something might happen when it has no chance to.

Again, a toggling option for this would be nice, but as a "purist" I think they make a progression in this one aspect.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 04-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #27
Pro

OVR: 5

Taking out a lot of the in between pitches stuff is actually realistic as you're no longer allowed to step out of the box and reset after a pitch.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:53 PM   #28
Pro

bubba4's Arena

OVR: 6

There should be no issue here. For people that don't want to see it all, use FAST PLAY. They don't have to remove any presentation elements. They had it just right. The only reason to remove it must have something to do with workload. It's easier to cut something out than work on it to perfect it. Players here are confirming that they X'ing through the presentation screens... so why not cut ALL presentation? Then you could move on to the IOS or Android and forget this crazy idea of simulation the great game of baseball to the tee.

I love all of the presentation that MLB The Show has put forth. It is up to a small minority of us here to call San Diego Studios out and make sure we keep them on point... so that they never forget their roots.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:30 PM   #29
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

I don't get the taking out of these areas either. It just makes no sense. It's honestly the only complaint I probably have about the game. The way 10-13 had the presentation was perfect. I played it the same way every single year. It felt real because I was playing at the pace the sport is actually played at. What happens with 14? They start to add features and tune the game for a faster style. That's 100% fine. What's not fine is they said the slower pace players will still have all of those options from years past. This was completely false. Slow pitch delay was taken out of the game. I know not many used it, but some did. Therefore I had to get used to normal.

Now this year I not only find out slow play wasn't put back in, but the foul ball option was removed and I am also noticing there are way less replays. Past years with The Show whenever I thought to myself "I really hope they show a replay", they always did. This year I've seen RBI doubles not have a replay after them. We are talking a run scoring play that doesn't get a replay. There was one I really wanted to see because I played a ball with Stanton off the wall perfectly. He caught it bare handed and gunned it to the cutoff man in one motion. I nearly got the runner out at home.

I just don't understand the choices they have made when it comes to the presentation area. I thought the big thing with the next gen consoles was the amount of memory. They maxed out the PS3 version so PS4 was supposed to be that and so much more. If the lighting and graphics weren't such great improvements, I would no doubt go back to MLB 13 on PS3 or buy 15 if these things weren't taken out of the PS3 version. Not to mention we already had Sounds of The Show taken away from us (not the dev teams fault at all). Why more presentation features? It sucks, but just like everyone else it's not quite enough to stop playing the game. The gameplay and other additions are just too good to not play it.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 04-04-2015, 04:33 AM   #30
All Star

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
2 design choices I am not happy about.

1. If a replay of a batted ball occurs we do not get the next batters walk up. Huge mistake. Just huge. And highly annoying.

2. Foul ball follow camera....why elminate it for those of us immersed in the real tiem style presentation which has been bascically stripped away. I like seeing roped foul balls...heck all of them for that matter. Really dissapointed with that decisoin.

I love the game. It s the best vetsion yet no question. But taking away crtical presentation elements like those two....bad design choices for hardcore baseball fans imo.

2 is driving me nuts for sever reason.
1. You don't see the ball boys and fans catching picking up the ball like you should and 2 when a foul ball is hit hard you don't get to see how close the player was to hitting a HR or not. I don't know how any one an say it was good to take foul balls away. Even last year this was some what of a problem but this year it was even worse.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #31
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
I think they are basing some of these design decisions on the automated feedback they get when folks play the game. Their stats probably tell them that the majority of people X through the scenes that you have all been talking about, therefore, in an effort to speed up gameplay (a complaint by some) and to listen to what their stats are telling them, they decide to remove or alter certain things we have grown accustomed to and love.
There is a huge problem with relying on this data. First, when I X through a cut-scene, I may have watched 95% of that cutscene, but it might still count as me skipping it.

Second, the presentation is most important during tense situations. Yeah, I may X through it with nobody on and two outs and I've been hacking all night, but bases loaded and bottom of the ninth I want to savor every moment.

It's a small thing but I hope they add this stuff back in in MLB 16.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 3

Maybe in 16 we could see the animations cut down during the more routine part of the game and ramped up when the game gets tense. More cut scenes when a runner is in scoring position in a close game and when it's 7-0, go with short cuts.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »