Home

Food for Thought - Pitching Strategies '15

This is a discussion on Food for Thought - Pitching Strategies '15 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
The Show '15 - Pitching (Settings & Strategies)

Made a thread just like it 3 years ago.... Would love to hear from guys now about the basics, about new pitches you like, your plan of attack on the mound.

Edited the tittle to talk about Settings Preferences and Mechanics as well.

Here is an example form that old thread about pitching philsophy from Vet H&V...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Pitches with similar movement, but varying velocity, can be deadly in this game.

Here are some combinations I love a starter having:

1. Cutter/Slider
2. 2-Seamer/Circle-Change
3. Straight Fastball/Straight Change
4. Curve/Slider

These allow the user to keep the hitter off balance. Show them the cutter just off the plate...show them the stright fastball in the same spot...then somewhere later in the at-bat, start the slider (all away) in the same spot as the two previous fastballs.

Like-movement pitches induce foul balls; getting the pitcher in 2 strike counts.

Along with this, starting pitches in similar areas of the strike zone are great for racking up K's.

A high and away straight fastball is a wonderful starting point for the high and away (I cannot emphasize AWAY enough. This curve has to be a ball) curveball to a like-handed hitter. The ball starts in the same place - same eye level - and can really fool a poor disciplined hitter.

I have PLENTY more to say on this subject, but it seems there's already some killer posts above me demonstrating the importance of in vs. out, up vs. down, and mixing speeds. All of which are essential to success.

Last edited by Geronimo22; 04-03-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
Dead Solid Perfect

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Food for Thought - Pitching Strategies '15

Searched this out since you mentioned it, & I find many great posts in it that are still relevant.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...on-2012-a.html

As for this year, in the few games I've had the opportunity to play,
I find myself dreading facing a great curveballer like no previous year's Show.

Syracuse #44
Old 04-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
Searched this out since you mentioned it, & I find many great posts in it that are still relevant.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...on-2012-a.html

As for this year, in the few games I've had the opportunity to play,
I find myself dreading facing a great curveballer like no previous year's Show.
Here is the original thread http://www.operationsports.com/forum...trategies.html

But the thread you mentioned is great as well.

I've only faced one curveball pitcher so far and he couldn't control the pitch. I know the high fastball and and curveball combo is a killer.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #4
MVP

ILiveForThis's Arena

OVR: 13

i was actually going to create a thread just like the classic pitching discussion again but this shall work just as well. that thread was money for tips and help from users, loved it way back when.

i've found myself using meter pitching this year actually and have actually enjoyed it where i used to play with only classic. the strike % are actually quite accurate so that's a plus.

as for strategies, i've learned over time that just because you need a strike doesn't mean you should throw one; also, sometimes placement is just as important as velocity while a good set-up pitch is just as important as the strike-out pitch.
www.twitch.tv/ILiveForThis
Old 04-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

With my RTTS pitcher (currently in AAA) i have the following aresenal:

4s FB
2s FB
Knuckle Curve
Changeup
Knuckleball

Works well. The two seamer is deceptive and brakes towards righties, the knucklecurve is down a lot and in towards leftys. The changeup works well - I use it as a strikeout pitch on the inside edge - and the good 'ole knuckler is a great general usage pitch that I always like, but I just like knucklebals.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILiveForThis
i was actually going to create a thread just like the classic pitching discussion again but this shall work just as well. that thread was money for tips and help from users, loved it way back when.

i've found myself using meter pitching this year actually and have actually enjoyed it where i used to play with only classic. the strike % are actually quite accurate so that's a plus.

as for strategies, i've learned over time that just because you need a strike doesn't mean you should throw one; also, sometimes placement is just as important as velocity while a good set-up pitch is just as important as the strike-out pitch.
Thanks for posting ILive. We have had great convo's back in the day! I changed the thread tittle and OP to talk about Settings and Preferences as well. I've gone with meter as well and I use an old technique that I posted about here

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...e-realism.html

BUT I've had some games were I was TOO wild. SO I might have to talk looking again.

As for Strat... Can you give me an example of what you meant by "just because you need a strike doesn't mean you should throw one"
Old 04-03-2015, 08:35 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerE
With my RTTS pitcher (currently in AAA) i have the following aresenal:

4s FB
2s FB
Knuckle Curve
Changeup
Knuckleball

Works well. The two seamer is deceptive and brakes towards righties, the knucklecurve is down a lot and in towards leftys. The changeup works well - I use it as a strikeout pitch on the inside edge - and the good 'ole knuckler is a great general usage pitch that I always like, but I just like knucklebals.
The Knucklecurve seems like a new popular pitch. Is it easy to control?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:45 PM   #8
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10

you might as well play with classic if you won't look at the meter

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »