Home

Batting Questions - Getting Better Timing Results

This is a discussion on Batting Questions - Getting Better Timing Results within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2015, 02:00 AM   #1
Rookie

BCScreamingEagles's Arena

OVR: 5
Batting Questions - Getting Better Timing Results

So this this year it seems that the timing (early, good, late) has a much greater impact on the success of a hit. With that said I find that I'm consistently late in terms of timing irregardless of pitch type which is leading to lots of lazy flyballs. In an attempt to mitigate this issue I have attempted to adopt a new approach at the plate. Now at the plate I tap the swing button as the pitcher begins his delivery and I find this helps me focus and even provides better timing results (although currently only a small sample size) thus leading to more line drives. With this in mind I have the following questions for the community:

1. Do you do anything special when hitting in order to obtain "good" timing results.

2. What is your feedback in terms of timing. I would say that right now about 90% of the time I am late, 7% early and 3% "good".

3. Any general tips regarding obtaining "good" timing when at the plate would be greatly appreciated.

Just thought I would add that I use zone hitting with buttons.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2015, 02:24 AM   #2
Pro

ScouserHUN's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Batting Questions - Getting Better Timing Results

This is why removing pure analog was a mistake. You had the stride to time your swing. Now, it's harder to time your swings and you don't even have the stride.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:30 AM   #3
Rookie

Well I never used pure analog in the past but I feel like I have developed a bad habit as in 14 I was able to hit for a lot of power to the opposite field whereas this year it isn't the same, which I think is good because it seems more realistic as you see less opposite field HRs.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:49 AM   #4
All Star

OVR: 0

The problem I have but it has been a problem like ever year on the show is I can like never ever time a changeup like at all I am like always early no matter how much I try to want on a pitch.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

I don't know that there are any tips other than practice, but if there are I know I'd like a few. Last year there were more timing variances like "just early", or "just late, etc.

I'm playing on Hall of Fame right now and I'm not sure how that affects the timing window, but even when I get "good" timing I still find myself fouling off pitches or getting loud outs. I know "good" timing shouldn't automatically mean a good hit (I guess), but most of my best hits have come on "late" (opposite field stuff), and my home runs have mostly come on "early".

If there are some devs out there who would like to chime in, I'd be grateful for some insight into the thought process, because I'm starting to think I may be overthinking it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Zone hitting..... I feel you have to a pick a pitch an wait on it. I start out looking for a fastball close to the middle. With a 0-0 count I'm looking fastball I can pull. I use a power swing and am waiting for nothing but heat down the middle where I don't move the zone stick... just square button waiting for a bullet middle of the strike zone. If I get a ball I do the same. If I get a strike I go to normal swing X. If I work into a hitters count I still use X and wait for my pitch down the middle. Still looking fast ball but has to be good. Here I may move the zone stick a bit but I try to keep it middle. If I get 2 strikes on me I looking breaking ball and just trying to foul off or opposite field fast ball. I sit there with the X button and moving the zone stick where ever I have to make good contact. This let's me pull the off speed stuff and not get caught way ahead and strike out and keeps me alive maybe drawing a couple balls to get a full count. At full count I'm looking for something down the middle or a walk. If it's close sometimes I kick myself for striking out looking but I do draw lots of walks and get high pitch counts to get into the opponents bullpen early. Anyways my input for what it's worth
Old 04-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

I only use timing.
My suggestion is to either use DD difficulty until you get what you want or just start adjusting sliders..play 10 or so games then adjust etc.. until you're happy.

I'm pretty much set after 50'ish games or so. Just waiting on rosters.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 04-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitoba450es
Zone hitting..... I feel you have to a pick a pitch an wait on it. I start out looking for a fastball close to the middle. With a 0-0 count I'm looking fastball I can pull. I use a power swing and am waiting for nothing but heat down the middle where I don't move the zone stick... just square button waiting for a bullet middle of the strike zone. If I get a ball I do the same. If I get a strike I go to normal swing X. If I work into a hitters count I still use X and wait for my pitch down the middle. Still looking fast ball but has to be good. Here I may move the zone stick a bit but I try to keep it middle. If I get 2 strikes on me I looking breaking ball and just trying to foul off or opposite field fast ball. I sit there with the X button and moving the zone stick where ever I have to make good contact. This let's me pull the off speed stuff and not get caught way ahead and strike out and keeps me alive maybe drawing a couple balls to get a full count. At full count I'm looking for something down the middle or a walk. If it's close sometimes I kick myself for striking out looking but I do draw lots of walks and get high pitch counts to get into the opponents bullpen early. Anyways my input for what it's worth
This is an interesting strategy that I will have to give a try. Currently I start with my PCI up in the zone and move it as necessary to make contact. Maybe this strategy is the equivalent doing to much at the plate.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »