Home

Lacking Infield Shifts - Wheel Plays

This is a discussion on Lacking Infield Shifts - Wheel Plays within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Lacking Infield Shifts - Wheel Plays

I'd like to learn more about this play, but also about defensive shifts in general and when/how to use them to maximum benefit in game.

Are there any standard resources for learning about shifts? I'm a relatively new baseball fan, and this aspect of the game totally perplexes me. I get things like DP depth, bunt D, infield in in bases loaded situations, but the other shifts in the game are totally beyond me.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #18
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Thanks for posting that and this is nothing against you but that was a terrible video and not a representation of wheel plays at all. The worst thing there was that they chose an image of the infield setup with no one on base lol. The pitcher was in the windup.

So H&V, the basic wheel plays with a runner on first have either the first baseman or the third baseman hard charging before the pitch is released so that they are basically on top of the plate when the ball gets there.

When the third baseman is the one charging the pitcher's responsibility on the bunt is from the mound to the first baseline and the shortstop "wheels" over to cover third.

When its the first baseman charging SS covers second, 2b covers first and the pitcher is responsible for bunts from the mound to the third baseline.

As I mentioned earlier, these are done in almost guaranteed bunt situations (thinking pitcher at the plate).

Another wheel play is when you have runners and first and second and have BOTH the first and third baseman hard charge. SS covers third base and the 2b covers first.

(I think this is the one they were trying to talk about in that video).
Thanks you explained it in a very easy to understand way.

The video sort of implied that it was only technically a wheel play if both the 1B and 3B charged simultaneously.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Question, do wheel plays happen in The Show currently? I want to say yes but and I realize we can't choose them. But they do happen now, right?
Old 04-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #19
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_play

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_positioning
Old 04-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #20

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Thanks you explained it in a very easy to understand way.

The video sort of implied that it was only technically a wheel play if both the 1B and 3B charged simultaneously.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Question, do wheel plays happen in The Show currently? I want to say yes but and I realize we can't choose them. But they do happen now, right?
No they do not.

All we have is bunt defense which is nothing but the third baseman playing in.

A wheel play involves charging before the pitch arrives at the plate which isn't something we have available yet.

I gave an example of the three most basic wheel plays but there are at least a half dozen of them.

It's been quite awhile since college but I think we had 5 wheel plays when I was playing.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:51 PM   #21

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Sorry but that's another terrible representation of what wheel play's are.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #22
Banned

Steven78's Arena

OVR: 0

So happy they added cutoff throws during the play this year and I think this needs to be next for next year.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #23
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
No they do not.

All we have is bunt defense which is nothing but the third baseman playing in.

A wheel play involves charging before the pitch arrives at the plate which isn't something we have available yet.

I gave an example of the three most basic wheel plays but there are at least a half dozen of them.

It's been quite awhile since college but I think we had 5 wheel plays when I was playing.
Right. I forgot about the charging part. You're right, charging pre-pitch is definitely not at the game.

This has been a cool discussion. Never thought about this type of stuff being in The Show before.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:16 PM   #24
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
So I didn't go back to 14 to see if they were there or not but I don't remember not having some fundamental fielding shifts.

In 15 we don't have either corners in or DP depth as an option to choose (unless I'm missing them).

Also, something that's never been in the game is wheel plays. They are sorely needed. Maybe now that they have shored up the gameplay and visuals on the ps4 we can start to add some small things like wheel plays into this wonderful game.
Put together a list of all the shifts you'd like to see in MLB 16 then have get with Nemesis and email them to me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »