Home

Pick-off attempts and how they are implemented in MLB The Show

This is a discussion on Pick-off attempts and how they are implemented in MLB The Show within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #1
ML
MVP

ML's Arena

OVR: 4
Pick-off attempts and how they are implemented in MLB The Show

So if you're watching the current Cardinals Cubs game, the Cardinals are trying to run all over Lester. Stats shown that his pick-off attempts were at 90 around 5 or so seasons ago, and since then have increased greatly to 8, and 5 in the last 2 seasons. I was wondering if this takes place in The Show as well?

For example, a pitcher who is less likely to throw over to 1st would be easier to extend a lead on and easier to get a better jump on the pitchers first move in order to steal. Not a big deal if it isn't implemented and it's only based on the runners stealing stats / how big his lead is, just one little-thing that would be great for The Show to have.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 2
Re: Pick-off attempts and how they are implemented in MLB The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLamm16
So if you're watching the current Cardinals Cubs game, the Cardinals are trying to run all over Lester. Stats shown that his pick-off attempts were at 90 around 5 or so seasons ago, and since then have increased greatly to 8, and 5 in the last 2 seasons. I was wondering if this takes place in The Show as well?

For example, a pitcher who is less likely to throw over to 1st would be easier to extend a lead on and easier to get a better jump on the pitchers first move in order to steal. Not a big deal if it isn't implemented and it's only based on the runners stealing stats / how big his lead is, just one little-thing that would be great for The Show to have.
With the current build, unless you are playing another human in an online game, don't worry about how you can pick off the opposition base runners because it's never going to happen. You could have a pitcher with the best move in the league at picking off runners, and it still will never happen. You see with the current build, SCEA has removed the feature from the game. Try it ... every time the CPU base runners will get back standing up. 100% success rate.

Defects have been raised, but I am not holding my breath that it will be fixed.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #3
ML
MVP

ML's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
With the current build, unless you are playing another human in an online game, don't worry about how you can pick off the opposition base runners because it's never going to happen. You could have a pitcher with the best move in the league at picking off runners, and it still will never happen. You see with the current build, SCEA has removed the feature from the game. Try it ... every time the CPU base runners will get back standing up. 100% success rate.

Defects have been raised, but I am not holding my breath that it will be fixed.
I must be lucky because the very first time I played a game I gave up a base hit with Tanaka and then an at-bat later I picked the same guy off

This post was mostly to describe player v.s. CPU when the CPU is pitching and you have a runner on base.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:44 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLamm16
I must be lucky because the very first time I played a game I gave up a base hit with Tanaka and then an at-bat later I picked the same guy off
What possessed you to throw over to first? It couldn't have been because the runner took a large lead. Did you just get caught up in the moment? Did you play The Show in previous years or is this your first year? If this is your first year perhaps that is why you succeeded.

In past years of the game, the base runners would occasionally take an extra step on their leads and that was our cue to attempt to pick them off. In past years if you threw over to 1st without the base runner taking the extra step they would always get back safely standing up. It was only when they took the step that they would be forced to dive back at the base and perhaps if you were lucky you could pick them off. However this year the base runners never take that extra step anymore. So those of us who played the game in past years think something is wrong here. Those of us who expected runners to take the extra step never think of throwing over to 1st now without the step. Perhaps the game actually has changed? but none of the people from SCEA have said anything about this.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

I create teams and run games cpu vs cpu with broadcast view ._. I have been doing this for the last three years or so. This years version has definitely taken out the pick off attempt all together . The cpu will never throw over to first._ Do you think they will address this via patch ? I know my style of enjoyment of Mlb is a minority ._._ However I am hoping for the best ._.Love all other improvements in this years version just whish they put cpu pick off back in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2015, 10:56 PM   #6
ML
MVP

ML's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
What possessed you to throw over to first? It couldn't have been because the runner took a large lead. Did you just get caught up in the moment? Did you play The Show in previous years or is this your first year? If this is your first year perhaps that is why you succeeded.

In past years of the game, the base runners would occasionally take an extra step on their leads and that was our cue to attempt to pick them off. In past years if you threw over to 1st without the base runner taking the extra step they would always get back safely standing up. It was only when they took the step that they would be forced to dive back at the base and perhaps if you were lucky you could pick them off. However this year the base runners never take that extra step anymore. So those of us who played the game in past years think something is wrong here. Those of us who expected runners to take the extra step never think of throwing over to 1st now without the step. Perhaps the game actually has changed? but none of the people from SCEA have said anything about this.

I've played the Show since it was on the PS2, although I was way too young to have any idea that OS existed (if it even did).

I've played this game for hours since it's release at midnight on the 31st so I wish I could give you an exact recap of what happened, but I can't. I do know it was against the Astros. I threw over just for the sake of realism and keeping the runner close. Trust me, nobody was more surprised than myself to pick him off.

In fact, it's funny, because after I did it I thought to myself that it was similar to a Yankees game I went to as a child, where I sat behind homeplate to watch Pettitte take on Billy Koch at Yankee Stadium (My dad is/was good friends with Koch's dad, and in no way would saying I know Koch ever be considered bragging ). Pettitte gave up a single on the first pitch of the game to whoever the Jays' leadoff guy was, and the very next ab picked him off.

I'm not calling you out, insulting you or mean it in any negative way, and to be honest from now on I'm definitely going to be looking out for the extra step that the CPU has taken in previous versions (the same exact one that usually gets me picked off when I take it) and will update if I do get lucky enough to pickoff another guy. I'd imagine that the pickoff success per attempts percentage can't be that high in real life so to rarely see it is believable I guess but for it to literally not be in the game would be rather silly.

EDIT: It was Jonathan Villar who was starting on opening day due to Jed Lowrie being sidelined. Ratings: 85spd, 85stl, 89br agg

To try and keep this thread on-track, I'll reiterate my original post:

Lester has barely thrown over to 1st in the previous 2 seasons. Tonight against the Cardinals I saw him throw over once. This encouraged the Cardinals to run on him especially on first move.

To try and explain this more clearly I'll stick with Lester.

I was wondering if in MLB The Show it is programmed so that Lester very rarely throws over to first even if for example you tap L1 to extend the lead by a step (not taking into factors such as extreme leads to the point where you are basically giving up an automatic out).

I think that this would be a feature that could add more strategy to the game but would be very tricky to implement. Guys that are pests that throw over so often to the point where everyone just wants him to throw a dang pitch would be a lot harder to get a good jump / steal often on as compared to someone like Lester who basically forgets you're on first base. I know that the slide step was put into the game to help catch a runner, but I'm specifically talking about CPU pitcher's tendencies to throw over to first.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by ML; 04-05-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguysrule58
I create teams and run games cpu vs cpu with broadcast view ._. I have been doing this for the last three years or so. This years version has definitely taken out the pick off attempt all together . The cpu will never throw over to first._ Do you think they will address this via patch ? I know my style of enjoyment of Mlb is a minority ._._ However I am hoping for the best ._.Love all other improvements in this years version just whish they put cpu pick off back in the game.
I'm a MoM player (only one step above you on the evolutionary scale ... haha), but I also like to play CPU vs CPU games for my division rivals and other league contenders when time permits. I have been doing a Opening Day marathon today playing a whole slew of broadcast CPU vs CPU games and tomorrow when I get home from work I will play my own MoM Opening Day game. I have not watched every inning, but I am on my 9th CPU vs CPU game today and there has not been a single pick off attempt. Tomorrow during my MoM game I will definitely throw over to 1st when a speedy runner gets on 1st. Not so much because I think I can pick them off. No I want to see if on any of my throws the base runner dives back to the bag. If they don't dive, then something is definitely still wrong.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #8
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

It was far too easy to pick AI runners off last year, regardless of the size of their lead.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »