Home

Curious about what you guys are going to do?

This is a discussion on Curious about what you guys are going to do? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Curious about what you guys are going to do?

If the NL goes the DH route, consider me traded from MLB for an idiot to be named later. They need to get rid of the DH altogether
Old 04-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 24

The NL switching to the DH has been "inevitable" for like 10 years now. At the start of every offseason someone asks the commissioner about it. Every Winter, people write articles about how it could really happen soon, and what it would look like.

Then the next season ends, and the cycle starts all over again.

I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #11
Rookie

FSanchez12's Arena

OVR: 2

I won't be using the DH in the NL, and if it didn't kill the realism I'd eliminate the DH in the AL too. Coming from a pitcher, you know sometimes we like swinging the bat too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2015, 01:52 AM   #12
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckman
I will not be using the DH and I hope they do not start using a DH in the national league.

I think they either need to get rid of the DH or add it to the NL. It is stupid and makes no since to only have it for one league and gives the AL an advantage when they play the NL teams.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:14 AM   #13
Rookie

JPCaveman13's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
I think they either need to get rid of the DH or add it to the NL. It is stupid and makes no since to only have it for one league and gives the AL an advantage when they play the NL teams.
The NL actually has the advantage in the DH situation. Going into an NL park, the AL pitchers hit. NL pitchers are regularly taking BP (even if over half is dropping down bunts to move the runner). AL pitchers really only ever see the batting cage in the few days before they make a start in a NL park. Also, most AL managers don't get the same experience trying to juggle around the pitcher's spot in the order, especially when the pitcher is doing well on the mound but an extra run could be a benefit.

Switching that over to the NL, a manager can now have both bats in the line-up in a platoon situation (ie: Dodgers can have Ethier/Van Slyke play DH or put one in the field to lower the liability of Puig and have him just hit) in an AL park. Likewise, the NL manager doesn't have to worry about sending or not sending a PH up for the pitcher in the 5th-6th inning where he's pitching well in a close game. Even if the NL team is hosting, the NL manager has a better idea of how to handle those situations than his AL counterpart.

If the DH sticks around, it shouldn't come to the NL to make it even. Just get rid of it altogether. It'll make players focus on all aspects of their game instead of just spending all their time in the cage so they can DH.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:59 AM   #14
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCaveman13
The NL actually has the advantage in the DH situation. Going into an NL park, the AL pitchers hit. NL pitchers are regularly taking BP (even if over half is dropping down bunts to move the runner). AL pitchers really only ever see the batting cage in the few days before they make a start in a NL park. Also, most AL managers don't get the same experience trying to juggle around the pitcher's spot in the order, especially when the pitcher is doing well on the mound but an extra run could be a benefit.

Switching that over to the NL, a manager can now have both bats in the line-up in a platoon situation (ie: Dodgers can have Ethier/Van Slyke play DH or put one in the field to lower the liability of Puig and have him just hit) in an AL park. Likewise, the NL manager doesn't have to worry about sending or not sending a PH up for the pitcher in the 5th-6th inning where he's pitching well in a close game. Even if the NL team is hosting, the NL manager has a better idea of how to handle those situations than his AL counterpart.

If the DH sticks around, it shouldn't come to the NL to make it even. Just get rid of it altogether. It'll make players focus on all aspects of their game instead of just spending all their time in the cage so they can DH.

I agree, you would think more advantage to the NL. I do remember Dusty Baker saying they were at a disadvantage in the NL, and I thought typical thinking by him,lol.

I say if both league need to be the same then do away with the DH. For 1 thing the NL is the senior circuit and if anyone should change it should be the AL.

Plus having a DH imo takes a lot of managing out of the game, in the NL managers have more decisions to make, and can effect winning or losing. I enjoy watching a chest match in the NL versus watching a slug fest in the AL.

I actually like the 2 leagues being different, that way it gives the home team a little bit of a advantage. Personally I don't like Interleague play anyway. Just something special about the WS with 2 teams not ever knowing each other, where as now they may have played earlier that season now days with IL play.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 04-07-2015, 03:01 AM   #15
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCaveman13

I disagree with you big time. When the AL is home you are going to have 1 more better hitter then the NL team and when it is in a NL park the AL team has 1 better pitch hitter to use.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2015, 03:09 AM   #16
Rookie

JPCaveman13's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
I agree, you would think more advantage to the NL. I do remember Dusty Baker saying they were at a disadvantage in the NL, and I thought typical thinking by him,lol.

Plus having a DH imo takes a lot of managing out of the game, in the NL managers have more decisions to make, and can effect winning or losing. I enjoy watching a chest match in the NL versus watching a slug fest in the AL.

I actually like the 2 leagues being different, that way it gives the home team a little bit of a advantage. Personally I don't like Interleague play anyway. Just something special about the WS with 2 teams not ever knowing each other, where as now they may have played earlier that season now days with IL play.

Yeah, I agree with you on the chess match and strategy of it. Mentioning Dusty Baker and his quote on the difference reminded me of something either Jim Leyland or Sparky Anderson (Leyland himself or sharing Anderson's sentiment) said about managing in the NL vs AL, when given the choice he would rather manage in the AL because he doesn't have to make any tough decisions about the pitcher's spot in the lineup. He can just set his lineup and then when his pitcher gets tired/shelled/trouble, he can just go make a change...none of the double-switching, who's up in the next inning, who's glove can I afford to lose for a better bat, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »