Home

MLB 15 The Show Review (PS4)

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show Review (PS4) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 0
I have not played the game yet. Having said that, based on the feature lists and discussions about additions or bug fixes, the reviewer scored this one pretty accurately. Same goes for metacritic. Here are some things as to why MLB The Show 15 isn't getting the accolades many seemed to think it would:

* lack of a real career stats model. If you want to see a baseball video game that does stats the right way, check out OOTP....this year's version or any of them in the past. There is no way The Show can be considered a simulation product until they make stats a very real part of the game. As it is, The Show is a really pretty arcade game that has only dipped its toes in the sim aspects of its real life counterpart.

* DD just isn't challenging enough long term, nor does it have much suspense to it. They could have had the players be represented in baseball cards for their representative years. Not nearly enough all time great players. No "common card" type players from the past. They could have made revealing the players more like opening a pack of cards.

* lack of a truly customizable camera. In this day and age one should be able to view the action from any seat in the ball park.

* Manager Only Mode is weak. It hasn't really improved. The options available seem to be the same ones available if you're at the plate or on the mound. In real life managers do not have the same responsibilities as players. One should be able to challenge calls, argue with umpires, have more detailed control over the bullpen and defensive alignment changes. One should truly be able to converse with the players and multiple factors affect whether the pitcher stays in or not.

* pickoffs are still broken. The AI does not attempt pickoffs at a normal rate as in real life. Stealing and getting caught or in run downs isn't realistic. Pick off attempts should tire the pitcher and break his concentration, but they don't.

* fan animations need some work. If you are looking at the action in broadcast camera view you should feel everything going on behind the player is realistic. Moonwalking fans look weird. Whether there is a foul ball, a single to left, a drive to the gap in right or a homerun the fans (head movements, scrambling, other body movements) should suggest the fans are connected to the action, but they are not. They look planted there.

* uniforms should change in appearance as the game wears on, due to field or weather conditions, or the number of times the player has been a part of the action.

* attendance should change depending on the day, the opponent, said team's position in the standingss, or whether it is late in the season or not. Instead there is a disconnect between what occurs in the field and all of the other nuances of the game.

That is my two cents
Old 04-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #34
Rookie

KennyJ1976's Arena

I'm guessing this reviewer has never played PES before if he thinks this commentary is the worse in the sports genre.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgamer72
I have not played the game yet. Having said that, based on the feature lists and discussions about additions or bug fixes, the reviewer scored this one pretty accurately. Same goes for metacritic. Here are some things as to why MLB The Show 15 isn't getting the accolades many seemed to think it would:

* lack of a real career stats model. If you want to see a baseball video game that does stats the right way, check out OOTP....this year's version or any of them in the past. There is no way The Show can be considered a simulation product until they make stats a very real part of the game. As it is, The Show is a really pretty arcade game that has only dipped its toes in the sim aspects of its real life counterpart.

* DD just isn't challenging enough long term, nor does it have much suspense to it. They could have had the players be represented in baseball cards for their representative years. Not nearly enough all time great players. No "common card" type players from the past. They could have made revealing the players more like opening a pack of cards.

* lack of a truly customizable camera. In this day and age one should be able to view the action from any seat in the ball park.

* Manager Only Mode is weak. It hasn't really improved. The options available seem to be the same ones available if you're at the plate or on the mound. In real life managers do not have the same responsibilities as players. One should be able to challenge calls, argue with umpires, have more detailed control over the bullpen and defensive alignment changes. One should truly be able to converse with the players and multiple factors affect whether the pitcher stays in or not.

* pickoffs are still broken. The AI does not attempt pickoffs at a normal rate as in real life. Stealing and getting caught or in run downs isn't realistic. Pick off attempts should tire the pitcher and break his concentration, but they don't.

* fan animations need some work. If you are looking at the action in broadcast camera view you should feel everything going on behind the player is realistic. Moonwalking fans look weird. Whether there is a foul ball, a single to left, a drive to the gap in right or a homerun the fans (head movements, scrambling, other body movements) should suggest the fans are connected to the action, but they are not. They look planted there.

* uniforms should change in appearance as the game wears on, due to field or weather conditions, or the number of times the player has been a part of the action.

* attendance should change depending on the day, the opponent, said team's position in the standingss, or whether it is late in the season or not. Instead there is a disconnect between what occurs in the field and all of the other nuances of the game.

That is my two cents
I should have also mentioned that the trading isn't as realistic as it could be. Trades by the computer should be based on team needs for the present or the future, or payroll shedding.

* roster movement and player development isn't realistic. These procedures should run well on their own, but there is a big difference between what happens when the AI manages players and what is likely to happen when the human player takes over.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2015, 09:37 PM   #36
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: MLB 15 The Show Review (PS4)

Literally reviewing a game you haven't played yet?

Come on...
Old 04-06-2015, 10:06 PM   #37
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead

Come on...
...and is just flat out wrong on a few of his talking points!

M.K.
Knight165
Old 04-07-2015, 12:31 AM   #38
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead

Come on...
Sorry, I do not think it is necessary to purchase a game to express an opinion. I am completely open to being told that I was incorrect, as long as facts are presented ti prove I am wrong. Here's the thing. I don't think I am wrong in anything I stated above. I have seen the same screenshots, gameplay and live feed video presented hereand elsewhere that everyone else has seen.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:41 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajblithe20
I still laugh when people talk about the commentary being boring and stale. I play countless hours of The Show, NBA 2k, Madden, and NHL every year and it's all the same. All of the commentary in these games gets old rather quickly. I think it's just extremely difficult to get enough lines in and make it dynamic enough to sound like real commentary.

To me, the only way commentary in these games can be bad is if the commentators they use sound really irritating. Gus Johnson annoyed me to no end when he was in Madden ("and he's down... AT THE 19!!").

As for other things mentioned... I love the way they make a lot of steady improvements every year. Each year is always a lot better than the last. I'm hoping the next thing they focus on (aside from game modes, which I think are always improving) is improving the player models. Uniforms/body types/faces/animations (which are getting better). They already added in new skin tones so they may start heading in this direction. MLB 15 will definitely be my go to game until the end of summer at the earliest... just a fantastic baseball sim
NHL, FIFA, and 2k NBA commentary are a billion times better and more varied than the stale effort they've made in this game. Ironically commentary form baseball is leagues easier to do than in those games so it kind of amplifies the law bar set in The Show.

Last edited by japinard; 04-07-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:38 AM   #40
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchwartz07
While I agree that a complete overhaul isn't necessary this game has gone from an annual purchase to one that I'll buy every 2-3 years. I'd like to see them do something to justify shelling out another $60 each year other than just minor adjustments.

Most sports games are minor adjustments form year to year like 90% of the time and this game already plays so great that it is going to be hard to have a big jump compared to the another sports games out there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »