Home

MLB 15 The Show Review (PS4)

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show Review (PS4) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 0
is there something to aid pitch recognicion this year?
Old 04-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #50
MVP

OVR: 2
Re: MLB 15 The Show Review (PS4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgamer72
I have not played the game yet. Having said that, based on the feature lists and discussions about additions or bug fixes, the reviewer scored this one pretty accurately. Same goes for metacritic. Here are some things as to why MLB The Show 15 isn't getting the accolades many seemed to think it would:

* lack of a real career stats model. If you want to see a baseball video game that does stats the right way, check out OOTP....this year's version or any of them in the past. There is no way The Show can be considered a simulation product until they make stats a very real part of the game. As it is, The Show is a really pretty arcade game that has only dipped its toes in the sim aspects of its real life counterpart.

* DD just isn't challenging enough long term, nor does it have much suspense to it. They could have had the players be represented in baseball cards for their representative years. Not nearly enough all time great players. No "common card" type players from the past. They could have made revealing the players more like opening a pack of cards.

* lack of a truly customizable camera. In this day and age one should be able to view the action from any seat in the ball park.

* Manager Only Mode is weak. It hasn't really improved. The options available seem to be the same ones available if you're at the plate or on the mound. In real life managers do not have the same responsibilities as players. One should be able to challenge calls, argue with umpires, have more detailed control over the bullpen and defensive alignment changes. One should truly be able to converse with the players and multiple factors affect whether the pitcher stays in or not.

* pickoffs are still broken. The AI does not attempt pickoffs at a normal rate as in real life. Stealing and getting caught or in run downs isn't realistic. Pick off attempts should tire the pitcher and break his concentration, but they don't.

* fan animations need some work. If you are looking at the action in broadcast camera view you should feel everything going on behind the player is realistic. Moonwalking fans look weird. Whether there is a foul ball, a single to left, a drive to the gap in right or a homerun the fans (head movements, scrambling, other body movements) should suggest the fans are connected to the action, but they are not. They look planted there.

* uniforms should change in appearance as the game wears on, due to field or weather conditions, or the number of times the player has been a part of the action.

* attendance should change depending on the day, the opponent, said team's position in the standingss, or whether it is late in the season or not. Instead there is a disconnect between what occurs in the field and all of the other nuances of the game.

That is my two cents
There is a lot that you have written here that I can agree with. I am frustrated that CPU pickoffs have been removed from the game and frustrated that a couple of other features that existed in MoM games last year have been removed from this year's MoM games. However there is something that is missing in your analogy and that's probably because you don't have the game. What is it? Fun factor. MLB 15 is far from perfect, it has a bunch of new warts to go along with the existing warts. But it is a fun game and when push comes to shove, all that I ask for in my games is that I am having fun playing them.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:48 AM   #51
Banned

First off, I love The Show. I play it every year and never regret my purchase. That being said, the ps2/ps3 player models and animations have to go. The absolutely beautiful lighting and stadium environments make these holdovers really stick out. Some animations have been in the game since, literally, '05 or '06. It's like Naomi Watts with a big hairy mole...

Last edited by Mets7766; 04-07-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #52
Black Mamba

Shadymamba's Arena

OVR: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
I never understand the phrase "take big risks to move forward. "

There isn't a whole lot that I would want to change to enjoy the game.

There is a saying that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Changing some of the game engines radically could destroy what we love about the game.

I'm hoping that they continue to add refinements and build the game modes to the next levels.
Thank you, don't change what is not broken - if we keep in mind it's a video game and it will never be "perfect" but will be damn good we can all be happy
Old 04-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #53
Rookie

SVCbearcat10's Arena

This is the problem with the sports reviews. The Show is a victim of it's own success. If the next Madden would put out a game the same quality as the Show, it would be getting 9.5's and the internet may literally explode. The reviews (especially on Metacritic) will reflect that many other games are better than the Show when that really isn't the case.

Sports reviews really need 2 scores. One based on how it rates compared to the franchise itself and one for how it compares to other sports games. I can see the argument for some staleness (but it's a good problem to have in their case because so much is done right). So compared to itself, maybe it gets a lower score. However, compared to FIFA, Madden, etc, it should be at the top in review scores because it might be the best sim of the sport it represents.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #54
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5

I've played every Show since 08, and this one is so good. I love everything about it so far.

I couldn't get into last year's at all, barely playing 20 games in franchise and a season and a half of RTTS (batting only).

This year however, I've jumped into a Rockies franchise and I'm loving it. Lost 6-0 on Opening Day, then won 7-5 and 6-1 before losing my last game 12-1 against the Cubs.

This game feels like baseball, the hitting is challenging without being too difficult, and the pitching is definitely a little harder than last year which is better IMO.

Graphics, especially the lighting are excellent, I really like the responsiveness of the menus, better loading times and licensed equipment, what's not to like?

The year-to-year saves are a great feature. Not sure if I'll use them but giving you the option at least is fantastic, and an excuse for me to try to play as many of the 162 games as possible this season.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #55
Banned

rman's Arena

OVR: 4
Why does this PS3 port still have low resolution bitmaps and textures? Some of the background textures still look like something from PS2. How about the jumbo-tron flashing homerun, strike out etc. Why does it not look sharp instead of jaggies?

Why do the stadium colors shift for LH and RH batters? Why does home plate look like it has rabbit turd around it? Why does this games colors look realistic one minute and then shift to cartoon like colors? When it comes down to it, this is nothing but a ported PS3 game with sharper graphics. This not a next gen game IMO. I don't want to beat this dead horse, but wow 2K NBA IS NEXT GEN!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #56
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Frankly, I find the statement that the game doesn't do anything great but does most everything well perplexing.

I mean, of the sports games I have played, MLBTS consistently ships as an immediately playable sim experience straight out of the box. That, to me, is miraculous. One can fiddle with sliders in MLBTS if one wants, but one need not do so to get great stats and gameplay at launch. I'm already into my keeper franchise less than one week after launch, and I'm having an amazing game experience. How many other sports games can deliver a comparable product at launch?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »