Home

Dynamic Difficulty help

This is a discussion on Dynamic Difficulty help within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2015, 04:26 AM   #1
OCD Roster Editor

rovert22044's Arena

OVR: 0
Dynamic Difficulty help

So I've found hitting in this game to be way harder than previous versions of the game, so I thought Dynamic Difficulty would be perfect for me this year so I know where I stand. My experiences so far have been pretty horrendous, so I'm going to go ahead and see what you guys think.

Started a RTTS. Only upgrading hitting attributes for fun until OSFM is released. Have a diamond bat with +8 PWR and +6 CNT. Have a ritual that gives me +7 PWR. After all the powerups, I have 70 PWR against lefties and righties. About 60 contact against lefties and righties.

I start off on Rookie+ difficulty and I kill it. Bat over .500 with no homeruns and 10 RBIs through 7 games. I get upgraded to Veteran+ for good reason. Since then, I've batted .174 with 1 homerun and 6 RBIs in 22 games. I have no issue with a challenge, but my problem lies in this: EVERY hit I get, it upgrades my difficulty by adding another +. It takes a good 0 for 4 game to get rid of it. So despite batting .174, the game is not lowering my difficulty. I actually got it up to 5 plus signs even though I wasn't hitting well at all.

Yes, I am not swinging at terrible pitches. I'm actually getting good pitches to hit. Fastball down the middle or fastball up in the zone on about half of my at-bats. Yet every time, it's either a grounder or a popup.

Players hit slumps. I get that. But shouldn't Dynamic Difficulty start to lower the difficulty based off my performance? I tweaked with the sensitivity in my sliders, but now the second I do anything good, it goes up two plus signs. It's like I'm stuck on Veteran+ and will bat under .180 forever. Lol

Any suggestions? Please no "don't swing at bad pitches" or "practice more" comments. This discussion is pertaining to Dynamic Difficulty itself. Rookie is way too easy and Veteran is way too hard for me.

Appreciate the responses (if I get any, that is).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2015, 04:38 AM   #2
OCD Roster Editor

rovert22044's Arena

Re: Dynamic Difficulty help

The only way I can think of overriding this is to either:

a. Play on Veteran; Raise hitting sliders
b. Play on Rookie; Lower hitting sliders

The main issue I'd have is if I'm doing good, I'll feel as if I'm cheating the game. I have this issue every year. I'll use a slider set, notice it's too hard for me, do a little bit of slider tweaking, then when I do good, I feel like I'm not playing "legit".

Ugh. FML.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #3
Rookie

I am experiencing the same thing. Started out with rookie and was doing pretty good and moved up quickly to all-star. Since then, I have been struggling big time. Huge slumps were I would have a .000 average several games in a row. Average dropped drastically and now my player either says below or failing expectations.

However, anytime I have a good game, it jumps the difficulty a lot. It now has me on hall of fame yet I feel like I am struggling big time. I'm lucky if I can get into the low .200s
Old 04-07-2015, 10:59 AM   #4
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Dynamic Difficulty works differently with RTTS. The advancements/demotions happen faster because you generally only hit a few times per game/pitch every once in a while (versus full games where you have 30+ attempts to hit and pitch).

This year the game has a Dynamic Difficulty slider. This will control the rate at which you level up or down. Turn the slider to the left to make your progression/regression happen less frequently; up to move quicker.

It wouldn't surprise me if people that play both RTTS and Franchise would benefit more from having serperate Profiles for each mode (remember your DD level attaches to your Profile). Or at the very least, having the DD slider set differently for each.

I'd suggest you turn the slider up if you want to promote/demote more quickly, and down (or off) if you want to spend more time on your current level.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

It jumps like that because of the way DD measures your performance - by your OPS. OPS can spike up pretty quickly with extra base hits, but it's also slow to decay when you hit a slump.

Also, adding plusses or minuses doesn't change the difficulty - they're only indicators of your progress towards a different level.

What I mean is "Veteran+ [Progress: +++]" is still Veteran+, the extra plusses don't make it more difficult.

Best advice I can give you is to freeze the difficulty level on something where you get a nice balance of hits and outs, by zeroing the sensitivity slider if you don't want it changing on you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #6
Rookie

Is there anyway to reset the dynamic difficulty so it starts from the bottom again?

When I started my first RTTS guy, I started on rookie and moved up to all-star. I then started another guy but he started on all-star right away. Obviously this guy had a harder time moving up in the world.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper83
Is there anyway to reset the dynamic difficulty so it starts from the bottom again?

When I started my first RTTS guy, I started on rookie and moved up to all-star. I then started another guy but he started on all-star right away. Obviously this guy had a harder time moving up in the world.
Create a new profile from either the Beginner or Experienced template - that will start DD fresh.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #8
OCD Roster Editor

rovert22044's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Dynamic Difficulty works differently with RTTS. The advancements/demotions happen faster because you generally only hit a few times per game/pitch every once in a while (versus full games where you have 30+ attempts to hit and pitch).

This year the game has a Dynamic Difficulty slider. This will control the rate at which you level up or down. Turn the slider to the left to make your progression/regression happen less frequently; up to move quicker.

It wouldn't surprise me if people that play both RTTS and Franchise would benefit more from having serperate Profiles for each mode (remember your DD level attaches to your Profile). Or at the very least, having the DD slider set differently for each.

I'd suggest you turn the slider up if you want to promote/demote more quickly, and down (or off) if you want to spend more time on your current level.
Yeah I've messed with the sliders like I said in my post. Also referencing my post, I turned the slider up to increase the speed in which I promote/demote at one point, but the second I got a hit, it undoes every previous "+ demotion". I lose two pluses for going 0-15 in 4 games, but I get one extra base hit and boom, it's back to normal. Lol

Thank you for the response though. Your first paragraph puts DD into perspective which I hadn't looked at yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
It jumps like that because of the way DD measures your performance - by your OPS. OPS can spike up pretty quickly with extra base hits, but it's also slow to decay when you hit a slump.

Also, adding plusses or minuses doesn't change the difficulty - they're only indicators of your progress towards a different level.

What I mean is "Veteran+ [Progress: +++]" is still Veteran+, the extra plusses don't make it more difficult.

Best advice I can give you is to freeze the difficulty level on something where you get a nice balance of hits and outs, by zeroing the sensitivity slider if you don't want it changing on you.
Yeah I understand the pluses don't change difficulty, but shows progress. Just sucks when DD says you're doing well when you're hitting in the mid-.100s. Lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »