Home

Button Accuracy

This is a discussion on Button Accuracy within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46
Button Accuracy

Hey guys. I'm fairly new to this site, but it looks like you guys know what you're talking about, and the forum admin is pretty sexy (I've heard good things). So I was wondering if you could help me out with something.

This is my first year using Button Accuracy as my fielding choice, but I'm running into a conundrum:

What controls the power of the throw?

I see the two meters (the one above the player for the accuracy, and the circle meter in the player icon for power), but I'm not sure how to actually control the power of the throw.

Anyone know the answer?

As a heads up, I saw this thread where WoodWeaver explains some of the nuances of Button Accuracy, but I didn't see the power explained.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Great site you guys have. Really.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Button Accuracy

It's all about the position of your fielder in relation to where he's throwing and how long you hold down the button.

If you are say a second baseman making a throw to first then the POWER circle will fill up quickly for a strong throw without needing to hold the button for long. Even when you're turning a double play, or gunning someone out from short to first I find I don't need to hold the button down long to get a good, strong throw off.

If you are say in right field and trying to gun someone at third then you need to hold it longer. Most of the time when I need to attempt this kind of throw, I'll pre-load and I hold it until I see the needle go around the accuracy meter (over the fielder's head) at least twice so I know I'm getting the most power behind it.

If I'm hitting the cutoff off man from the outfield , I'll vary it. Sometimes I'll need to get the throw in quick so I'll live with a little less power, but I'll pre-load the cutoff man's throw to home for maximum power. I did that earlier this morning and threw a runner out at home.

Oh, and I think these little timing windows will shift based on difficulty level also. I'm on HOF, so I find the meters move a little quicker.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Your initial button press determines the power of your throw.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Your initial button press determines the power of your throw.
OK, so length of hold on the button is the accuracy meter, and strength of throw is determined by how hard I push the button?

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 04-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
OK, so length of hold on the button is the accuracy meter, and strength of throw is determined by how hard I push the button?
Correct, how aggressive you are on your initial button press will set the strength of the throw reflected in the red rings under the player. Which then initiates the accuracy meter above the player. This is where you will see the green section shift forward or backward based on their ratings, difficulty of throw etc. Your most accurate throw is when the needle reaches any portion of the green in the meter.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2015, 04:53 PM   #6
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-q-thread.html

*please don't ban me. Please don't ban me*
Old 04-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #7
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-oGLAUI7Sk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmAqLnhzbQ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iE2Q3bQ_XA
Old 04-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #8
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13
Button Accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Correct, how aggressive you are on your initial button press will set the strength of the throw reflected in the red rings under the player. Which then initiates the accuracy meter above the player. This is where you will see the green section shift forward or backward based on their ratings, difficulty of throw etc. Your most accurate throw is when the needle reaches any portion of the green in the meter.

This was true of the PS3 implementation, but due the lack of pressure sensitivity with the PS4 DS controllers, it has been slightly reworked for the PS4. The power is determined by the length of time the throw button is being held. The longer the stronger. Fielders with stronger arms will "power up" faster. The sweet spot size and location (as well as the needle speed) are determined by fielder accuracy attributes, throw distance, and difficulty of the throw. This size/location/needle speed is meant to work in conjunction with the "power up" speed to model how some fielders will need to wait longer or gather themselves to make a hard AND accurate throw while others can make hard, accurate throws in a more expeditious manner. One thing to keep in mind is that throw strength/power also affects the sweet spot. So, it will shrink the longer/harder you throw. As with all of our fielding interfaces, the overall fielding difficulty setting scales this meters parameters as well.

Hope you find it challenging and fun.

Last edited by Woodweaver; 04-07-2015 at 09:01 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »