Home

Help me be a better fielder

This is a discussion on Help me be a better fielder within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
Help me be a better fielder

I am not a veteran of the show, though I have played almost all of the prior editions going back to the PS3. I am having trouble fielding this year. I'm not sure if the controls are a little more finnicky, or if the window for catching things like pop-flies is smaller, but I'm having a lot more catchable balls fall through because my fielder is simply not responding to the ball. Anyone else seeing this? Any tips?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Help me be a better fielder

Flyball routes are drastically different this season. It takes a little more skill (kind of).

You will see the ball marker getting smaller, but you will need to move your guys to the ball as it shrinks.

In the past, if you put your guy in the marker, he would automatically catch it.

The easiest way to do it is to read the ball off the bat, and judge where you think it is tailing.

For example, most pop ups foul on the infield tail away toward the seats. So if your 1st/3rd Baseman or Catcher are trying to catch a pop-up, run out towards the seats and then the ball will probably shrink towards you..and if not, it is easier to adjust that direction (back towards the field) than towards the seats.

In the outfield, if should be more cut and dry on high pop-ups, but on balls in the gap or down the line, you should over play the gap/line and slow up as you get there rather than play too slow and let the ball play you.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

They reduced the suction area in the catch region so it is much easier to run through it resulting in you over compensating in a panic situation. I always slow my fielder down to a slow jog as I approach and adjust with subtle movements until the auto animations kick in. Running full throttle to the spot and stopping is not the best approach because the momentum will take you away from the ball location.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
They reduced the suction area in the catch region so it is much easier to run through it resulting in you over compensating in a panic situation. I always slow my fielder down to a slow jog as I approach and adjust with subtle movements until the auto animations kick in. Running full throttle to the spot and stopping is not the best approach because the momentum will take you away from the ball location.
Yeah, it depends on the type of hit. Routine flyballs should be handled with kid gloves, but anything that requires you to judge and run to needs to be played outside-in. Overplay it, then comeback to the field as it shrinks.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #5
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Thanks, guys. I'll try to jog into it like I would if I was actually playing. In the past you could race to the spot and stop and you'd catch the ball no problem, but I'll feather the stick a little bit and see where it gets me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »