Home

Anyone had luck stealing bags?

This is a discussion on Anyone had luck stealing bags? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2015, 06:27 AM   #49
Rookie

SpritePuck's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Anyone had luck stealing bags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL
For the same reason why they are shown for players on 1st & 3rd -- so I can know what kind of baserunning potential I have on 2nd base. Especially if the player got their via a double. Also, I'm not the biggest baseball "spectator" (although I love me some MLB The Show ), so I'm not the most knowledgeable of which non-superstar players got wheels & which do not ...
Never thought about this but if one does not know baseball rosters then it would be huge to show the ratings! Good point.

The key to stealing on higher difficulties is not being predictable and the following:

- Do not go always on second pitch. Or first, mix it up.

- Never Ever go if they side step!

- If you Hold O and L2 release when he begins kick! If he side steps, ( meaning very little leg lift) just release O but NOT L2 and he will not go. Be sure to release O though or you will swing really early.

- Also if you do not release O and L2 and they do a pick off move he will return on his own.

- Slide to outside of bag.

- If have a strike to give check swing.

With good timing it is possible to steal with anyone over 70 rated in speed and baserunning. Remember the baserunning attribute matters not just speed, especially on higher difficulties. I do not use extra leadoff steps because you can get picked off too easy. Last be smart, stealing with a 78 speed 73 base running rated player against say Molina, is not gonna happen. Also some pitchers get the ball home faster, both pitch speed and stretch move regardless of slidestep. The game is fairly realistic in pitching motions and stealing. So for example steals on Wacha and Molina is pretty hard even with fairly fast baserunners. Because well, in real life it is hard enough that even fast teams like the Bucs rarely try it.

RTTS is much easier to steal in than franchise mode. I am not sure why, or maybe it is just easier for me. The above was advice for franchise mode AllStar or higher difficulty. I play with custom sliders (designed to get sim type stats) and maybe that affects it. I wil look and see.

Last edited by SpritePuck; 04-30-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:11 AM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Anyone had luck stealing bags?

I've had pretty good success stealing with all varieties of players. If the catcher's no good, I'm aggressively stealing against him and from there it's just about stealing on the right pitches (breaking balls down when they're trying to get your hitter to swing and miss).

I usually hit L2 (L2 right?) to queue the steal immediately if the situation is right, but also hit L1 as the pitcher is about to go into the stretch to get an extra step just before he takes off. Or at least a little before he starts. Really helps with getting quick, but not fast (50-65 speed) players a good shot which I need cause I don't have anyone on my team that can take bags at will.

As for RTTS, I'm running as soon as I feel like I have the pitcher's motion down. I'm leaning towards second, but holding left on the stick so he dives back if pick-off attempt comes over, and do the same thing otherwise with leading from the base; hit L1 (or R1 maybe in RTTS) right before he starts the stretch for an extra step and take off as soon as he lifts his foot off the ground.

I guess as far as leading goes, it's important to take that lead after the pitcher gets set to go to the plate and not as soon as you can. Otherwise, the pitcher's staring right at you as you take a big lead. Waiting a bit (the closer to him starting his windup the better), or even pressing L1, then R1 to go back and forth (if you have a speedy runner) does a better job psyching out the pitcher as far as I'm concerned, and can even lead to ugly pitches to the plate since the pitcher is too concerned with what the runner is doing.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #51
Just started!

OVR: 0
Is there any way to see CPU defensive attributes during the game?

I cannot seem to find any way to check the catcher's arm strength/accuracy during a game if I'm thinking about stealing.

Same thing for checking an outfielders arm while I have a runner on second and want to stragegize about sending him home, etc.

There has to be a way to do this right?
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »