Home

I think the (Human) timing window really needs to be expanded

This is a discussion on I think the (Human) timing window really needs to be expanded within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #41
MVP

Madden's Jowels's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I think the (Human) timing window really needs to be expanded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTommy67
I don't want to jump to conclusions before I've played enough, but I'm starting to think after about twenty games into my franchise that it's more difficult, maybe too much so. I play using directional/timing hitting so keep that in mind (all-star level).

Some have commented that the off-speed pitches look too slow. It does appear that way to me. There could also have been an adjustment to the timing window. Maybe both. And while it might be instinctive to praise the increased difficulty as more reflective of real MLB hitting, keep this in mind:

In real life, a batter can gear up for a fastball and make an adjustment when he gets something off-speed. You'll see hitters stride but they're still able to keep their hands back and hit the changeup. But you can't do this when your swing is linked to a button. Once you press it, you're swinging unless you let up and check. So if I'm looking fastball in say, a 2-0 count I find it next to impossible to hold up on a change due to the more difficult timing. Didn't have this problem before.

With two strikes, I'm using contact swing mostly and looking off-speed, which is why I don't strike out much. But on the hitter's counts (2-0, 3-1) I'm actually finding it more difficult to hit for the reasons stated. This doesn't seem right to me.

So I think this is why the previous years' timing window/speed differential was a little more fluid and perhaps more fair. If I was looking for a fastball and didn't get it I could adjust well enough.

For me, the only thing would be to increase the timing window or lower the pitch speed, which I don't really want to do.

This is a great point, and is EXACTLY why ruining (or as they call it, "simplifying") Pure Analog was a mistake.

You could start your stride and gear up for the fastball but then see offspeed and wait it out and crush it just like in real life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2015, 08:32 PM   #42

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
The thing I hate is seeing the Good timing ball pop up on a pitch in the middle of the plate and having my guy foul it off.
That just means your timing was good, not your PCI placement.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:59 PM   #43
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
That just means your timing was good, not your PCI placement.
Happens consistently with timing hitting...quite quite infuriating.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #44
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

JTommy explains it pretty good. I'll add that cutters/sliders moving in on the hands absolutely should be pulled foul IF they are inside enough and hit hard if not. I am not squaring these up at all. Either foul or broken bat. High pitches are still hard on me because they seem to disappear prior to crossing the plate. Effective velo means that the only high pitches that get the extra giddyup are on the arm side.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:19 PM   #45
Pro

OVR: 24

There might be something to this "off-speed pitches are too slow" thing.
With the new change in your swing feedback (ie, pitch speed isn't there), it's a lot harder to keep track of the speeds of pitches coming in... so I hadn't noticed for a while.

But tonight I tried to pay extra attention. I faced a pitcher (Henderson Alvarez) on the Marlins, and I watched the radar gun in the scorebug the entire night... 93 mph on his fastball, 68 mph on his curveball. Come on... That's literally not even possible unless you slow down your delivery, aka tip your pitches.

It might be a year-to-year save issue... I'm fairly certain that ridiculous differential did not exist on this particular pitcher last year... I still have MLB '14, so I'll go take a look in a few.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2015, 10:52 PM   #46
Banned

Go Yankees's Arena

OVR: 0

Ok, i HATE WORKAROUNDS but i think i have one for people having problems hitting changeups and offspeed pitches, i know this might seem kinda like cheating but it will raise your batting average, turn on guess pitch, and guess fastball every pitch/ every other pitch, if it doesnt blink read you know it will be a slower pitch, i dont do this anymore but i did a week ago and it helped, now i dont need it cause i smash. This is on timed hitting with directional hitting on, but im sure it would work with other batting methods, and i play on allstar everything, im not sure if you can turn guess pitch on in legend mode. Btw, if you think this will help you out to much, do it every other pitch, also, just because you know a four seamer isnt coming doesnt mean you will be on everything, you still have other fastballs and sinker to look out for, so it will help but not as much as you might think.

Last edited by Go Yankees; 04-12-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:35 PM   #47
Pro

jtott's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
It might be a year-to-year save issue... I'm fairly certain that ridiculous differential did not exist on this particular pitcher last year... I still have MLB '14, so I'll go take a look in a few.
I think the answer is right there. Im playing my franchise from 14 on 15 and I thought there was a slight difference in the timing. Ive been more late than usual on the fastball, but the change ups and curveballs have been driving me freakin nuts. Its as if the pitch just dies in front of the plate.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:07 AM   #48
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

I think the timing window is fine. I have noticed fastballs have been harder to hit for me lately and I think that's more to do with the off-speed pitches throwing off my timing. I play on Dynamic Difficulty, so when I first got the game, I saw a lot of fastballs and had no issue pulling the ball, hitting HR's, etc.

Now that I'm on All-Star, the change ups, curves and sliders come in noticeably slower than fastballs, so of course you mentally adjust and then a 95-mph. fastball comes sailing in and you think your timing is good, but in reality, you are a fraction or two late and wind up popping the ball up or missing all together.

Hitting feels a touch harder than last year, which isn't a bad thing, imo.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »