Home

MLB 15 The Show: Working the Count as a Pitcher

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show: Working the Count as a Pitcher within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
MLB 15 The Show: Working the Count as a Pitcher

Nothing gets the virtual nerves going like a good one-on-one battle. For most gamers, this conjures up images of Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, and fighting three rounds to the death. But for me, few things in the gaming world excite me like battling through a tough out during an at-bat.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but with MLB 15 The Show, I get far more joy when throwing strike three than I do belting a home run. Baseball is often referred to as chess-on-grass. Taking that one step further, each at-bat can feel like its own chess match. You have to think five pitches ahead. Taking it one pitch at a time might earn you an earlier-than-expected trip to the dugout.

Read More - MLB 15 The Show: Working the Count as a Pitcher
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
Rookie

RD_Rabin's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 15 The Show: Working the Count as a Pitcher

I switched to Pure Analog pitching this year and have been really enjoying the pitcher battles. Now I know that, with the exception of the occasional 'lucky' hit, I am responsible for where the batter can put that ball.

I now assess the catcher's suggestions critically, look at the pitch history and think over the 'scouting report' for that player's ability and hotzones. I also take into account the situation (How many on base, how many outs, the current scoreline) to decide what he may try to do, and how I can stop him.

It's a whole new ballgame.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
The 12-6 and changeup are two of my favorite pitches, because their speeds are so similar that it's easy to disguise one as the other. Throw a few curveballs that start above the zone and drop down for strikes, then eventually mix in some really high change ups out of the zone and it's hard for hitters to lay off. The same strategy works if you set up the curve by throwing several low change ups in the zone, then throw the curve that drops out of the zone with 2 strikes.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:46 PM   #4
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

With due respect to the author, I don't believe this title is correct to the content. It's about pitching as a pitcher, not hitting as a pitcher.

If I talk about working the count, I'm referring to moderating the AB for my favor as a hitter...if I talk about working the strike zone, I'm referring to the pitch selection as a pitcher.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:20 AM   #5
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD_Rabin
I switched to Pure Analog pitching this year and have been really enjoying the pitcher battles. Now I know that, with the exception of the occasional 'lucky' hit, I am responsible for where the batter can put that ball.

I now assess the catcher's suggestions critically, look at the pitch history and think over the 'scouting report' for that player's ability and hotzones. I also take into account the situation (How many on base, how many outs, the current scoreline) to decide what he may try to do, and how I can stop him.

It's a whole new ballgame.
I don't have the game... What's this "scouting report" you speak of?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2015, 05:31 AM   #6
Banned

Steven78's Arena

Yeah I don't believe I've ever heard of a pitcher working the count.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #7
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
The 12-6 and changeup are two of my favorite pitches, because their speeds are so similar that it's easy to disguise one as the other. Throw a few curveballs that start above the zone and drop down for strikes, then eventually mix in some really high change ups out of the zone and it's hard for hitters to lay off. The same strategy works if you set up the curve by throwing several low change ups in the zone, then throw the curve that drops out of the zone with 2 strikes.
Even a couple of high fastballs in the zone followed by a curve or change is a good strategy. It can be dangerous though against a really good hitter, especially if your fastball has a tendency to drop down to the middle of the zone.

Also another good method for me is to throw a first pitch breaking ball in the zone, second pitch the same and then a 2 seamer high and tight.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #8
Rookie

The Show has always placed a high premium on pitch sequencing. I tend to get into trouble when I fall into a pattern of alternating pitches hard in and soft away or pumping in fastballs on the first pitch of every at-bat to try to get ahead in the count. I find that occasionally coming inside with a changeup or starting an at-bat with a breaking ball keeps the computer off balance.

As the great Warren Spahn said: "Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing." That's really all there is to it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »