Home

Need help w/ otufield fielding because I just don't get it...

This is a discussion on Need help w/ otufield fielding because I just don't get it... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Need help w/ outfield fielding because I just don't get it...

Through 10 games of my franchise, I have made 7 errors in the outfield compared to 3 in the infield. What's the trick?

Most of the errors are on (seemingly) routine fly balls. It feels like something's off when I try to maneuver my fielder into position. I have no problem getting under the ball, but it seems like minor adjustments in positioning result in really odd and quirky movements, like the control is too sensitive.

In years past, it was easy to determine if you were going to make the play since the animation takes over. This year it feels much different, like I can't tell if I'm going to catch it or not.

Anybody else experiencing this, and if so, what are you doing to correct it?

I've already dropped the outfielder fielding error slider all the way down. Hasn't seemed to help.

Last edited by JTommy67; 04-17-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Need help w/ otufield fielding because I just don't get it...

You have to be in control of fielders till quite a bit later than what you were used to prior to this year's game, because the fielding animation doesn't take over the control as early as it used to be.

You don't actually want to make minor adjustments when the fielder actually needs to position himself and make a catch; that I think tells the game that you haven't managed to position the fielder properly and may actually increase the chance of him making miscue.

In short, try to predict the catch region better, and try to be there as accurately as possible in one shot (don't keep making minor adjustments). Unless you are already in position, don't give up the control of fielder too soon before he reaches the target position. The fielding AI does less work for you this year.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
Pro

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
Banned

HouseKeepinItReal's Arena

OVR: 2

Has anyone experienced where the ball marker/catch indicator is on the outfield wall and you put your player against the wall to make the grab but the ball lands 10 feet in front of the guy and then bounces over the wall for a ground rule double?

It's happened to me three times and it looks like a glitch its hard to take a video because the replay doesn't show the catch indicator. lol just shows my dude missing the catch by 10 feet!
Old 04-17-2015, 06:06 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseKeepinItReal
Has anyone experienced where the ball marker/catch indicator is on the outfield wall and you put your player against the wall to make the grab but the ball lands 10 feet in front of the guy and then bounces over the wall for a ground rule double?
I haven't seen that but I'd LOVE some sense of how the heck to catch balls at the wall. I can never, ever, ever make a catch at the wall like that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2015, 10:16 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseKeepinItReal

It's happened to me three times and it looks like a glitch its hard to take a video because the replay doesn't show the catch indicator. lol just shows my dude missing the catch by 10 feet!
I have seen this once. Seems that fly balls near the wall are the most difficult, despite getting to the landing marker.

I may have improved a bit by taking the advice in this thead - getting to the marker quickly and then laying off the analog stick. Makes for some jerky animation transitions, though.

In fact, this may be the problem for me. Sometimes it looks like you're not in position based on the displayed animation, then when you make a last second adjustment the guy misses when he probably would've caught it anyway.

Unsettling. I need to undergo a mental evaluation because of all this. Every time a fly ball is hit to the outfield, I feel like Jon Lester trying to pick a guy off first.

Wish there was a practice mode where I could catch some fly balls lol.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:55 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 20

I play without any catch region/ball marker display and I still do ok in the outfield. Nomo's advice is solid in that it's largely about picking a spot where you think it's gonna land and getting there immediately; like, don't worry about being too precise, just make a decision, get there, and hope for the best.

I've also noticed I have a tendency to play a little shallow; you get better results (cooler animations) when you manage to get in a bit behind the landing spot.

Sneaky, kinda cheesy tip: if you get a little lost hit L2 and switch to another defender if it lets you; the original defender will go AI mode and make the catch for you more often than not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »