Home

Too Many "Pedro Martinez" Type Changeups?

This is a discussion on Too Many "Pedro Martinez" Type Changeups? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2015, 04:37 PM   #41
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Too Many "Pedro Martinez" Type Changeups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando70
The changeup is by far the hardest pitch for me to hit. I can get hung out to dry badly on a good curve and slider, or frozen on a fastball to the corner of the zone. But I cannot seem to adjust to the changeup. I am almost always early on them, even when looking for it. I feel like I can't read the pitch at all because it looks like a fastball nearly every time.
Which would be fine...if it were only the elite pitchers that had a change as a go to pitch doing that. When even journeymen have that ability however......
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #42
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
I think you are missing the point. It has nothing to do with people "stepping up their game" or w/e. I've been ranked in the top 10 past 4 years w/ a 300+ avg and won the past 2 COTW's, and I can say for a fact that they just flat out messed up on a lot of the pitchers' changeups in this game. It has nothing to do with recognizing it or not. The fact is that pitchers like Tanaka, who doesn't even throw a changeup IRL or any pitch around 72-75 mph for that matter, have wrong pitch edits on the SCEA roster. Look here: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...on=P#pitchtype
His curveball should be around 72...not a changeup...

It's not a huge problem for offline, but for online and DD it is ridiculous. People do not even mix up their pitches anymore. it is just low changeups/high fastballs the entire game. Do I still win? Yes I am 46-1 for online rated games, but it is not realistic at all.

It is not just Tanaka either that has wrong pitch edits. Pitchers like Eddie Butler, whose average changeup velo was 86 last year, is 75-77 in the game. They have a lot of pitchers' pitch edits just flat out wrong. It doesn't need patched, but they just need to fix the darn rosters and pitch velocities.

This was a problem in MLB 12 with Diamond Dynasty where they had to patch the attributes. You had guys throwing 101 mph fastballs with 69 mph changeups. That was for the fictional players though and this won't even require a patch. It is a simple fix really and I don't understand why it hasn't been fixed yet via roster update.

We all know that on default pitch slider, the speed in the game is not a true 1:1 ratio. 99 mph fastball on 5 pitch speed is really around 88-89. The thing is though that the game does a good job with consistency with the pitch speeds. Meaning every single pitch will be 10-12 mph slower than what the game actually says. So if you are on 5 pitch speed you can expect a 99 fastball to be really coming in at 89 mph and a 89 mph change is really 79. Again, the issue is not the recognition of the changeup itself, but the real issue is that the pitch edits are just not accurate.

It'd be like if they gave Wainwright a 69 mph changeup for no reason and then me telling you to step up your game because you complain it is not realistic.
lol, see AJ Griffin online DD
Old 04-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 6

Two things, on the fangraph site,

1) what pitches are FA and FC
2) this is why I can't wait for the pitch edit rosters to come out
Old 04-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 27

I swear I am going to switch to pitching only if this isn't fixed. I'm about to blow a gasket from frustration.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #45
MVP

Keirik's Arena

Do they OSFM rosters fix this in any way?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2015, 10:17 PM   #46
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
I play on All Star, zone pci off button hitting. I almost always only use x to hit as i tuned tje sliders for more power since i personally prefer a one button type of batting.

What i notice though is far too many pitchers have devastating changeups. I feel that its a bit unrealistic. Only elite pitchers really have great changeups like this. Am i alone in this? Any tips? Any solution? Id up pitch speed but i dont think that sould help without also just speeding up fastballs too much as well.
It takes a slider adjustment to allow pitchers with average or poor breaking to separate from pitchers who specialize in breaking balls. If you care for more information you can pm me. This is one glaring issue that you have in the default versions of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
I changed my speed slider to 8 in order to compensate for this.

Yes the speed differential is still the same, but it makes it easier to adjust to a change up, and fastball is still fast and hard to hit when its up, but adjustable when you are looking for it.
And I recently found from 8 when you graduate on to ten the experience is at it's optimum level based on the timing rhythm you gain from playing through the 8 slider. 10 will perfect the timing after the experience you gain 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
I've been playing on Legend difficulty and these 15-20 MPH difference changeups are bad enough, but when the pitcher also has a Bugs Bunny curveball it makes it almost impossible.
Career AAA Pitchers you never heard of painting highlight worthy back door curveballs on you for first pitch strikes. Yep.

Last edited by @legendm0de; 04-20-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:34 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
I think you are missing the point. It has nothing to do with people "stepping up their game" or w/e. I've been ranked in the top 10 past 4 years w/ a 300+ avg and won the past 2 COTW's, and I can say for a fact that they just flat out messed up on a lot of the pitchers' changeups in this game. It has nothing to do with recognizing it or not. The fact is that pitchers like Tanaka, who doesn't even throw a changeup IRL or any pitch around 72-75 mph for that matter, have wrong pitch edits on the SCEA roster. Look here: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...on=P#pitchtype
His curveball should be around 72...not a changeup...

It's not a huge problem for offline, but for online and DD it is ridiculous. People do not even mix up their pitches anymore. it is just low changeups/high fastballs the entire game. Do I still win? Yes I am 46-1 for online rated games, but it is not realistic at all.

It is not just Tanaka either that has wrong pitch edits. Pitchers like Eddie Butler, whose average changeup velo was 86 last year, is 75-77 in the game. They have a lot of pitchers' pitch edits just flat out wrong. It doesn't need patched, but they just need to fix the darn rosters and pitch velocities.

This was a problem in MLB 12 with Diamond Dynasty where they had to patch the attributes. You had guys throwing 101 mph fastballs with 69 mph changeups. That was for the fictional players though and this won't even require a patch. It is a simple fix really and I don't understand why it hasn't been fixed yet via roster update.

We all know that on default pitch slider, the speed in the game is not a true 1:1 ratio. 99 mph fastball on 5 pitch speed is really around 88-89. The thing is though that the game does a good job with consistency with the pitch speeds. Meaning every single pitch will be 10-12 mph slower than what the game actually says. So if you are on 5 pitch speed you can expect a 99 fastball to be really coming in at 89 mph and a 89 mph change is really 79. Again, the issue is not the recognition of the changeup itself, but the real issue is that the pitch edits are just not accurate.

It'd be like if they gave Wainwright a 69 mph changeup for no reason and then me telling you to step up your game because you complain it is not realistic.
lol "It's not a problem for me, I'm still an awesome player who has no issues smashing every changeup, I just can't be bothered so change it." This is kind of a reoccuring theme here. I don't see why people feel the need to try to validate themselves by posting like that, it just makes one look insecure if anything.

You have to adjust to the game every year, anyone who plays online for a franchise type game title should understand that. Try to get it changed for next year, or edit the player rating so you're happy with it offline, that's the best you could hope for now. But with players and baseball gurus who have never failed at the game and have mastered it in all it's possible iterations, it shouldn't really be an issue anyways. I'm surprised the thread even exists at all, except there are people are actually having problems winning games or with strikeouts, and I tried to help them rather than just justify my greatness.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:18 AM   #48
MVP

Keirik's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewillbechud
lol "It's not a problem for me, I'm still an awesome player who has no issues smashing every changeup, I just can't be bothered so change it." This is kind of a reoccuring theme here. I don't see why people feel the need to try to validate themselves by posting like that, it just makes one look insecure if anything.

You have to adjust to the game every year, anyone who plays online for a franchise type game title should understand that. Try to get it changed for next year, or edit the player rating so you're happy with it offline, that's the best you could hope for now. But with players and baseball gurus who have never failed at the game and have mastered it in all it's possible iterations, it shouldn't really be an issue anyways. I'm surprised the thread even exists at all, except there are people are actually having problems winning games or with strikeouts, and I tried to help them rather than just justify my greatness.
While I appreciate you contributing to the thread, you are kind of doing so in a bit of a negative way. Posts like the one you just did are only going to lead to arguments. So are posts that say "sounds like excuses" and saying a post doesn't make a lot of sense. Hell, I never said anything about trying to pull every pitch as you gave me advice on earlier. I made the thread because personally I feel that there are just too many pitchers with very high quality changeups that I would equate to someone like Pedro Martinez' level. I'd rather not have the thread turn into a fight between users since we are getting good info going.

There is no reoccurring theme here. No one is making this confrontational so why start all that up? You kind of agree anyway when you're saying that this year's game definitely has a more effective changeup. I just wish that there was a bit more variance between the ace with a changeup and the 5th-6th starter in the rotation's changeup. Could use a bit of tuning. I'd equate it to the "What if" of if the game had every cutter be Mariano Rivera quality. Sure adjustments can be made, but I'd prefer the sim aspect moreso of a player with a mediocre version of the pitch not be of such high quality.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »