Home

How Do I Read The Pitchers Grip? I'm Striking Out Too Much, Even On Beginner.

This is a discussion on How Do I Read The Pitchers Grip? I'm Striking Out Too Much, Even On Beginner. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2015, 06:37 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 6
How Do I Read The Pitchers Grip? I'm Striking Out Too Much, Even On Beginner.

I play on broadcast and someone told me there is an advantage compared to catcher view when batting because you can see the pitchers grip but for some reason my eyes can't detect it. Am I missing something? I know I suck but to suck on the easiest settings is just sad. And like I said on all my other posts on here I am new to the series but that is no excuse.

I tried boosting up the batting contact and timing and even slower the pitches but I am still having a tough time. Robinson Cano is batting .111 in my franchise 10 games in. As a matter of fact the last game I played with him I went 0 for 10 in a 26 inning game in which my team lost.

This is really frustrating and I need all the tips I can get to improve reading pitches. As of right now I am being honest with you guys when I say I feeling like giving up. Maybe it isn't for me. My mind is telling me to give up on this game but my heart keeps telling me to stick with it. Please give me some pointers it would really mean a lot.

Last edited by UWfan206; 04-18-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: How Do I Read The Pitchers Grip? I'm Striking Out Too Much, Even On Beginner.

I was just going to say that the hardest camera to hit from was the broadcast camera. I'd suggest going back to a catcher camera.

Let me guess....your timing is all screwy, right? It sounds counter-intuitive, but try increasing the pitch speed slider. When the pitch speed is at default you think too much. I bumped it up from 5 to 8 last night and I was in a much better rhythm. Give that one tweak a try and see if it helps you.

Also....use the practice mode....it helps a lot....and is actually kinda fun
Old 04-18-2015, 07:24 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: How Do I Read The Pitchers Grip? I'm Striking Out Too Much, Even On Beginner.

U sure increasing pitch speed would help? I might have to check it out myself because right now i have it set one click to the left of default. U know anything about the pitcher's grip or the signs the catchers show on broadcast? Is there something I am not seeing that some of you are?
Old 04-18-2015, 07:31 AM   #4
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Yeah you really need to change your view. You need to pick a view that works for you. Obviously your current view is not working for you.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #5
MVP

sydrogerdavid's Arena

OVR: 27

First of all, I would disagree with you in saying that being new to the series is no excuse. There are guys that have been playing since before 06 The Show and still can't hit very well.

Next, I would say to lower your expectations when using big names players like Cano. Some people, maybe you, press when it comes to these guys because they are supposed to be good. Then you end up chasing pitches and never hit very well with them because you expect to get a hit every time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #6
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

It isn't the grip you see in broadcast view-it is the catcher calling for the pitches. 1 finger down is the pitch assigned to X, 2 fingers is O, and so on.

If you stick with catcher view, you will learn the pitch breaks after a bit. Try directional hitting instead of zone in this view. Easier to just hit a button and get timing down.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
Rookie

RD_Rabin's Arena

OVR: 0

I use Catcher-2 view for batting and let my eyes stay in a 'relaxed focus' in the center of the box, usually this means I'm looking at the pitcher's waist area. It takes practice, but after a few hours of playing this way your subconscious learns to judge where the ball is going. Some kind of visual memory kicks in.

I don't worry about what his hand is doing, I just let my unconscious 'reflexes' gauge the pitch and tell me whether I'm swinging or not.

I plan to swing at every pitch, so my conscious brain is going "We're swinging, we're swinging, we're swinging..." right up to the point where my subconscious goes "BALL - Leave it!" and I don't press the button
Old 04-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

Hitting is difficult, as it should be, and takes loads and loads of practice. Go to batting practice, and well, practice. Get in the habit of watching the ball, read the break, the velocity, and over time you will get better. There are no shortcuts, it's tough. That said, there's no better feeling than seeing a big fat hanger and tattooing it into the bleachers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »