Home

I swing when my mind says no

This is a discussion on I swing when my mind says no within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #9
Rookie

Hoosierdaddy76's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I swing when my mind says no

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalKC
I always take the first pitch no matter what. Sometimes you get strikes but ive found for the most part i always start 1-0. Patience is key above all else with this game
This. Got sick of never drawing any walks or the opposition pitcher only have 25 pitches thrown through 4 innings. Now, as a rule, I take the first pitch in every at-bat. Often I'll wait until I see the first strike, which results in many 3-0 counts. Sometimes it means having to set the controller on my lap though, so I know what you mean.

I can get up to the plate telling myself that I'm taking the first pitch, but then see something that looks like meat out of the pitcher's hand and inevitably either ground it into home plate or shatter my bat with a weak popout to an infielder. So, yeah. Patience and discipline are what everyone needs to be successful at hitting.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #10
Pro

YeOldTonk's Arena

OVR: 6
Location: Foothills of the Cascade Mountains in the great PacNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
This is why I love this game because it really rewards you for *THINKING* baseball.

Learn how to work counts. And also learn the skill of the batter you're using, and pitcher you're facing...And the SITUATION of the game but generally speaking I use these rules....

0-0 depending on the pitcher and game situation will *usually* be something offspeed or a breaking pitch on the corners. Best to not swing.

1-0 usually something on the corners again but maybe in the zone usually you should take if its not in your zone or if its a push hitter *maybe* you can hit it oppo

2-0 ...your gonna get something good to hit but probably a curve ball'

3-0 fastball... usually(or change...but it will be straight.... swing away

0-1 ...breaking/offspeed stuff on the corners

0-2 ... breaking/offspead stuff outside the zone usually (depending on pitcher)

1-1 ... depending on the pitcher this will be something on the corners not straight...the goal here for the pitcher is to get ahead...so it will usually be a breaking pitch or something low and away (to get you to swing)

1-2 ... depending on pitcher again...you won't get anything good but he *may challenge you*

2-1 - going 3-1 isnt ideal so you may get something straight but unless its a mistake pitch ti wont be in the middle

3-1...duh

3-2 ... depends on the situation and batter and type of pitcher but youll get his best pitch here.

For the most part, I follow the above. I think I have a decent sense of what the pitcher is going to throw depending on the count and what pitches he has in his arsenal.

But my problem is that even though I see that a pitch is going high or outside, my finger is hitting the button. My mind is not getting fooled, my body is.

I'm up to Legend difficulty with dynamic hitting, so for he most part I must be doing something right. I'm batting roughly .280 starting my first full year n the MLB. Those days when you go 0/5 with 3 Ks is a killer.

This thing called Twitter I do sometimes

What's your thoughts? It's a game.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #11
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

I used to have the same problem. For me it was an easy fix. I just started taking the first pitch every at bat. Once I started doing that I was able to be more patient later in the at bat, sometimes to patient. For some reason once I started taking that first pitch things started to change.

One trick I used for that first pitch was that I would set the controller down for that pitch, because if I didn't I would swing. I still do it on 3-0 because I always swing at that pitch, so I just set the controller down for that pitch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

To avoid bad chases I try to watch the pitcher's throwing motion and visualize what a fastball coming right down the middle would look like (it helps if he actually throws one at some point so I can actually see it). I try to focus on swinging at nothing except that exact ball flight path and break. Anything that's off that path I don't swing unless it's two strikes, and it naturally leads to me taking close balls and even some corner strikes. It especially helps me lay off curveballs and splitters that drop low - since I'm watching the ball flight I can see the break and just take the pitch.

Sometimes I'll change where on the plate I'm focusing (say, a hitter's count in a hot zone), but this is my approach for the most part. This has even helped me take the high fastball which has been a thorn in my side for many years on this game.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #13
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

There are subliminal messages planted within the come back code that are making you swing. Then when you are pitching they tell you to groove the fastball which in combination s what allows the CPU to rally and win.

Spoiler

In all honesty I do this all of the time, which is why I invented the conspiracy theory above to feel better about myself.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.

Last edited by Bullit; 04-18-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #14
MVP

Madden's Jowels's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
My mind is telling me no but my body my body's telling me yes.

I don't see nothin wrooooong... with a little changeup in the dirt
Old 04-18-2015, 04:24 PM   #15
Rookie

modore's Arena

OVR: 5

I do when my eyes get tired from playing back to back games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 4

This is my first ever mlb and I was like this at the start... Getting better now... Just had 3 successive walks :-)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »