Home

I swing when my mind says no

This is a discussion on I swing when my mind says no within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #25
Banned

TonyDanzaFan's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: I swing when my mind says no

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_bondra
Do you prefer to look breaking ball/react to the Fastball, or vice versa?
I used to just look for the fastball. But now I'm looking fOr the breaking ball. As a result my ks are down but my homers are as well. I've actually scored less runs as a result. It's probably all mental though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2015, 06:37 PM   #26
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10

LOL. I do this somewhat often. I'm just being impatient, and I know it. Or I am struggling at the plate, frustrated, and trying to get it all back quickly. And I probably check-swing on like 1/3 of balls taken. But generally my Dynamic batting level stays at LEGEND and tends to reach LEGEND++++ so on the whole I feel I do alright
Old 04-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #27
Banned

TonyDanzaFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL
LOL. I do this somewhat often. I'm just being impatient, and I know it. Or I am struggling at the plate, frustrated, and trying to get it all back quickly. And I probably check-swing on like 1/3 of balls taken. But generally my Dynamic batting level stays at LEGEND and tends to reach LEGEND++++ so on the whole I feel I do alright
I'm stuck on veteran but ever since I started my new approach it'son the verge of going down to rookie. I'm getting a ton of hits but very few home runs and very few rbis. I'm going through a bad cold stretch.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #28
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDanzaFan
I used to just look for the fastball. But now I'm looking fOr the breaking ball. As a result my ks are down but my homers are as well. I've actually scored less runs as a result. It's probably all mental though.
Me personally, I always look for the breaking ball first. So alot of times I will place the PCI in the location where I think a breaking ball (changeup, curve, sinker) is going to land, and if it turns out being a fastball then I can easily get the PCI up or down to reach it.

As for your check-swinging problem -- it works. But you really have to be sure to TAP the button. I may be wrong on this, but I think if you try to check-swing a pitch that is WAY out of your reach or check way early, then you end up swinging anyway...which frustrates me, but it would make sense.

Another tip, is I never start a pitch with the PCI in the neutral position. At the very least I am barely pulling the stick down or barely pushing it up or left or right based on the situation & where I think a pitch is going to be thrown.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 0

How much does where you place the pci matter? For example, for a lefty batter I keep the pci low and in for the most part and leave it there even when I swing. I make contact and get hits but if I were to move the pci, I would get more hits?
Old 04-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #30
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

01.jpg
Old 04-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #31
Banned

TonyDanzaFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL
Me personally, I always look for the breaking ball first. So alot of times I will place the PCI in the location where I think a breaking ball (changeup, curve, sinker) is going to land, and if it turns out being a fastball then I can easily get the PCI up or down to reach it.

As for your check-swinging problem -- it works. But you really have to be sure to TAP the button. I may be wrong on this, but I think if you try to check-swing a pitch that is WAY out of your reach or check way early, then you end up swinging anyway...which frustrates me, but it would make sense.

Another tip, is I never start a pitch with the PCI in the neutral position. At the very least I am barely pulling the stick down or barely pushing it up or left or right based on the situation & where I think a pitch is going to be thrown.
I gave up on zone. I just can't hit with it at all on higher difficulties. I get more hits with directional plus I like the aspect of knowing that in controlling my swing more. But I'm still a novice with it. I don't know when it's best to place it and where depending on where the pitch is located. I find best results for homers up and hIgh pulling it but it also results in a ton of annoying pop ups.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #32
Rookie

aro52's Arena

I've been forcing myself to take more pitches for this very reason. It seems like the CPU knows when you get swing happy, and just throws you worse and worse junk! I'll take a strike with the first batter of the inner, and then take the first pitch with the rest of the batters.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »