Home

I swing when my mind says no

This is a discussion on I swing when my mind says no within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #1
Pro

YeOldTonk's Arena

OVR: 6
Location: Foothills of the Cascade Mountains in the great PacNW
I swing when my mind says no

I'm having this problem where I see a pitch that I know is either too high or too far outside and I still hit the button to swing. Had the same problem with last years game (first year playing). I've been getting a little better this year. I get so frustrated with all the strikeouts. I use a custom offset catcher view.

Anyone have any thoughts or tips before I find myself prying the controller out of the wall?

Thanks

This thing called Twitter I do sometimes

What's your thoughts? It's a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: I swing when my mind says no

I always take the first pitch no matter what. Sometimes you get strikes but ive found for the most part i always start 1-0. Patience is key above all else with this game
Old 04-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
Banned

TonyDanzaFan's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldTonk
I'm having this problem where I see a pitch that I know is either too high or too far outside and I still hit the button to swing. Had the same problem with last years game (first year playing). I've been getting a little better this year. I get so frustrated with all the strikeouts. I use a custom offset catcher view.

Anyone have any thoughts or tips before I find myself prying the controller out of the wall?

Thanks
Man I do the exact same thing. It's frustrating as all Hell. I can barely play on the higher difficulties because my reaction time is terrible. The only balls I'm able to lay off of is if they're outside. I'll have balls almost hit me and I still swing. It doesn't help that the check swing system doesn't seem to work. I'll barely tap the button and it still registers as a swing. I know it's cliche to bring up mvp but the system in that was on the money. It knew when I didn't mean to swing, almost like it was reading my mind. Not to mention, the appeals always say I swung yet the cpu has swung maybe twice off appeals, the rest of them are always balls. It's just not registering for me this year and I don't know why.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 20

It happens when you're trying to do two things at once - in this case take the fastball and hit the breaking ball - which is of course impossible because it's not a breaking ball.

The "solution" is to get better at reading pitches, unfortunately, but short of that, it's just a matter of making a decision and sticking to it. You only get to make one decision so you MUST cut out second-guessing yourself.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #5

jvalverde88's Arena

OVR: 28

My mind is telling me no but my body my body's telling me yes.

Quote:
Never let fear determine who you are. Never let where you came from determine where you are going.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

I do the same thing. 2-2 count, pitcher has been thrown the last couple of pitches inside, both offspeed types. I know the slider down-and-away is coming and I tell myself to not swing. Pitch comes in, I see it coming in kind of low and breaking away... but sure enough, I swing anyway. The key that I've found (through learning the game) is to just clear your mind after that strikeout and just concentrate on the next batter. I used to let that 2-2 strikeout (on the pitch I knew that was coming) just ruin it for the next couple batters becuse when I get frustrated I start swinging at everything.

When you're down two strikes and you know that some funny business will be coming from the pitcher, like a changeup in the dirt or the slider low and away, switch to contact hitting and just try and make contact while guarding the plate. I've gotten MUCH better at working counts back to full after going down 0-2 by doing that. I still swing at pitches in siutations where I know the next pitch will be 3 feet out of the zone, but not nearly as much as I used to. It just takes practice. Doing the batting practice mini-games helps a lot too, esepcially the pitch-recognition.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #7
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

This is why I love this game because it really rewards you for *THINKING* baseball.

Learn how to work counts. And also learn the skill of the batter you're using, and pitcher you're facing...And the SITUATION of the game but generally speaking I use these rules....

0-0 depending on the pitcher and game situation will *usually* be something offspeed or a breaking pitch on the corners. Best to not swing.

1-0 usually something on the corners again but maybe in the zone usually you should take if its not in your zone or if its a push hitter *maybe* you can hit it oppo

2-0 ...your gonna get something good to hit but probably a curve ball'

3-0 fastball... usually(or change...but it will be straight.... swing away

0-1 ...breaking/offspeed stuff on the corners

0-2 ... breaking/offspead stuff outside the zone usually (depending on pitcher)

1-1 ... depending on the pitcher this will be something on the corners not straight...the goal here for the pitcher is to get ahead...so it will usually be a breaking pitch or something low and away (to get you to swing)

1-2 ... depending on pitcher again...you won't get anything good but he *may challenge you*

2-1 - going 3-1 isnt ideal so you may get something straight but unless its a mistake pitch ti wont be in the middle

3-1...duh

3-2 ... depends on the situation and batter and type of pitcher but youll get his best pitch here.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #8
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
My mind is telling me no but my body my body's telling me yes.
But my body...my bodyyyy....telling me yeaasssss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r_kelly_2.jpg (44.9 KB, 341 views)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »