Home

Pitches per Inning

This is a discussion on Pitches per Inning within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2015, 01:32 AM   #17
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Pitches per Inning

The thing is I'm not hitting well at all against relivers.

-Glad to be an Operation Sports Member!-
Old 04-21-2015, 03:14 AM   #18
All Star

OVR: 0

I also have to say that when I am not hitting while I tend to chase more and more pitches and am less patient then I need to be. The CPU is smart if you are swing at a lot of high fastballs or a lot of low changeups the CPU will throw more and more of them just like pitchers would in real life and then you are going to get more and more 0-1, 0-2, 1-2 counts instead of 1-0,2-0,2-1 ect.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:30 AM   #19
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23

I see tons of pitches, im very patient, especially with speedsters, if i can get them walked onto first and basically turn that walk into a double with a steal, i will.

I average between 4/5 walks per game and have many starters against me at 60 pitches through 3, 100 through 5 or 6, i looooooooooooooove seeing pitches
Old 04-21-2015, 05:42 AM   #20
Rookie

steve115658's Arena

OVR: 9

When I'm playing to be patient about 18 an inning. Sometimes if I'm against a back of the rotation guy I will intentionally see less to try and hammer him early and not let him run up his pitch count with walks and turn it over to the bullpen with minimal damage. I also use quick counts a lot and that tends to make it skyrocket a little bit to the 20+ range. If I'm facing an ace my goal is always to have a 20 plus pitch first inning. Help get him out of the game and see as much of his stuff as possible
Season 3: 16-3 Super Bowl Champions
Minnesota Vikings
Season 4: Coming soon
Old 04-21-2015, 07:20 AM   #21
Don Mattingly is God

bellz666's Arena

OVR: 13

I've always had this benchmark of 13 in my head, going back to my High Heat and Triple Play days. If I'm seeing less than 13 in an inning I feel like I've done a bad job. 14 or more and I am sticking to my game plan. Over the past few years I've worked very hard to become patient and I have a goal of drawing at least two walks per game.

Again, these are my personal benchmarks and I've felt very successful with them.

XBox Live GT: cRPGeezus

Playstation Network: IrreverentGamer

My Twitch Channel: cRPGeezus (Click me!)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 7

I try to get at least 4 pitches per at bat, which generally equates to 12 per inning. I've been averaging about 15 pitches per half inning which is satisfactory for me.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:16 PM   #23
All Star

As some people have said the CPU will pick up on what you are doing so because of that I don't think you should take the first pitch ever time like I have seen some people say to do. If you take the first pitch ever time the CPU is going to start to throw a strike right down the middle of the plate a lot on first pitches and it will end up as the best pitch to hit in the at bat. Most of the time I take first pitch because you should and guys in real life normally take the first pitch. My strangely though on first pitch is if it is a middle of the plate right down the middle power swing if not take the pitch. If the count is 2-0 I power swing and also try not to swing in less it is middle of the plate right down the middle. That is the only time I power swing at all. If it is a 0-2, 1-2 count I use contact swing. Ever another count besides those counts I just said with power swing and contact swing I use the normal swing. 3-0 counts I almost never swing. 3-1 again try to only swing if it is middle of the plate right down the middle. Finally I check after the first 3 innings at the pitching screen thing to see if I can pick up things like how often the CPU is throwing its fastball or what pitches the CPU is throwing early in the count or first pitch ect or if I have been taking lot of pitches or not a lot and what location a lot of the CPU pitches are in and I try to adjust what I am doing and looking for from that data.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #24
Rookie

Got to agree with the other's advice. It's cliche, but the easiest solution to a pitch count problem is to take to the first strike. If you do that, then the opposing pitcher has to throw at least six pitches every inning, regardless of the rest of the at bat. It also means quite often, you're swinging with the count in your favor.

You do occasionally get meat pitches on the first pitch, but in my experience, for every time you get a hit they'll be two more where you have a one-pitch out that keeps the pitcher fresh and raises his confidence.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »