Home

Impacts of warming up Relief Pitchers in Bullpen

This is a discussion on Impacts of warming up Relief Pitchers in Bullpen within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #17
Crunchy

Mabster's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Impacts of warming up Relief Pitchers in Bullpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by japinard
What ratings hit?
20% decrease in defensive abilities for secondary position, 40% for out of position.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #18
MVP

Grinder12000's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
OMG....I have to look in the bullpen once every 3 innings!
+1

Seriously - I think you guys are being way to micro managing and it;s not the softwares fault - it's YOU doing it.

It's simple.

It takes 1 batter to warm up a pitcher enough to bring him in. It takes 2 batters if you want him 100% warm if you visit the mound. Yes - there is a difference in not being 100% warm and 100% but not enough to lose sleep over.

If you MIGHT want to bring a guy in MAYBE - stretch and toss for a few batters. Then if you sit him down again he is not slightly worn out.

If you warm a guy up for 2 innings and don't use him, well, his fatigue will show it. Maybe not a lot but it's there. It takes a toll down the road. Not as much has actually using him in a game but there is wear and tear.

If you REALLY want to worry about something - a pitchers age matters in MLB15
Old 04-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #19
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle1man
Theres an option in the settings to not have to warm guys up at all, theyre just ready when subbed in.
I thought that setting just dictates whether or not you get the 8 warm up pitches when the reliever enters the game. I didn't think it turns off the whole system.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:25 PM   #20
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000
Seriously - I think you guys are being way to micro managing and it;s not the softwares fault - it's YOU doing it.

It's simple.

It takes 1 batter to warm up a pitcher enough to bring him in. It takes 2 batters if you want him 100% warm if you visit the mound. Yes - there is a difference in not being 100% warm and 100% but not enough to lose sleep over.

If you MIGHT want to bring a guy in MAYBE - stretch and toss for a few batters. Then if you sit him down again he is not slightly worn out.

If you warm a guy up for 2 innings and don't use him, well, his fatigue will show it. Maybe not a lot but it's there. It takes a toll down the road. Not as much has actually using him in a game but there is wear and tear.

Sigh. Warming up guys isn't my issue, as I don't mind managing my bullpen. That's fun. It's the fact that when I carry a 7 man bullpen and one of those guys is a long reliever every bit of stamina matters, especially when I go a stretch without many off days. Forgetting ONCE that you have Kelvin Herrera warming up for 2-3 innings since you get a big lead while he's warming up ruins the bullpen for 2-3 days since he can't figure out on his own to stop throwing and stand there when he's warmed up.

For example: A few games back I was up 4-1 in the top of the 7th @ the Twins. I had Franklin Morales on the mound, as he had just gotten the final out of the 6th inning. I was planning on him starting out the next inning since someone was up who can't hit lefties and I hadn't used him much to that point in the season so I wanted to get him some mound time. But, I scored 3 runs in the top half of that inning and forgot I had Kelvin warming up to come in for the 2nd hitter. Turns out, I left Morales in to finish the game since I was up so much and he was dealing, forgetting the entire rest of the game that I had Kelvin warming up. So, instead of losing one pitcher for a few games, I was out 2 because Kelvin couldn't figure out to stop throwing on his own. To throw more gas on that fire, I had used Chris Young for 4 innings the day before, so I was down to a 4 man bullpen with Jeremy Guthrie on the mound. Not ideal. All because Herrera isn't programmed to stop throwing when he's fully warm.

I'm done talking about this now, as you guys obviously don't get where I'm coming from. It's not a huge deal honestly, it's just super annoying and could easily be fixed. It's just as annoying to me as not having the correct gear for guys is to others.

I wouldn't even mind having to tell him to stop throwing if I didn't have to go into a sub menu to see if he was warm or not. A simple, tiny on-screen prompt in the bottom right hand corner of the screen showing his level of warmness would be plenty.

Yes, it's my fault for leaving guys warming up for too long. I understand that. But I'd like it if the game would assist my stupidity at least a little in regards to warming up pitchers. It holds my hand for everything else, why not something like this? This game relies heavily on realism, and Managers in real life do not have to tell their pitchers in the pen to stop throwing if they're warm.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by BA2929; 04-22-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #21
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Sigh. Warming up guys isn't my issue, as I don't mind managing my bullpen. That's fun. It's the fact that when I carry a 7 man bullpen and one of those guys is a long reliever every bit of stamina matters, especially when I go a stretch without many off days. Forgetting ONCE that you have Kelvin Herrera warming up for 2-3 innings since you get a big lead while he's warming up ruins the bullpen for 2-3 days since he can't figure out on his own to stop throwing and stand there when he's warmed up.

For example: A few games back I was up 4-1 in the top of the 7th @ the Twins. I had Franklin Morales on the mound, as he had just gotten the final out of the 6th inning. I was planning on him starting out the next inning since someone was up who can't hit lefties and I hadn't used him much to that point in the season so I wanted to get him some mound time. But, I scored 3 runs in the top half of that inning and forgot I had Kelvin warming up to come in for the 2nd hitter. Turns out, I left Morales in to finish the game since I was up so much and he was dealing, forgetting the entire rest of the game that I had Kelvin warming up. So, instead of losing one pitcher for a few games, I was out 2 because Kelvin couldn't figure out to stop throwing on his own. To throw more gas on that fire, I had used Chris Young for 4 innings the day before, so I was down to a 4 man bullpen with Jeremy Guthrie on the mound. Not ideal. All because Herrera isn't programmed to stop throwing when he's fully warm.

I'm done talking about this now, as you guys obviously don't get where I'm coming from. It's not a huge deal honestly, it's just super annoying and could easily be fixed. It's just as annoying to me as not having the correct gear for guys is to others.

I wouldn't even mind having to tell him to stop throwing if I didn't have to go into a sub menu to see if he was warm or not. A simple, tiny on-screen prompt in the bottom right hand corner of the screen showing his level of warmness would be plenty.

Yes, it's my fault for leaving guys warming up for too long. I understand that. But I'd like it if the game would assist my stupidity at least a little in regards to warming up pitchers. It holds my hand for everything else, why not something like this? This game relies heavily on realism, and Managers in real life do not have to tell their pitchers in the pen to stop throwing if they're warm.

Thanks for your time.
While I agree that having a pitcher go right to "ready and waiting" would be most realistic.....

BUT...unless something has changed.....there actually was(is?) a notification that your pitcher is warm....I haven't really looked for it...but it would come up next to the scorebug.....where the HR 425 ft. (1,2....etc) notifications show up.

M.K.
Knight165
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2015, 05:38 PM   #22
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
While I agree that having a pitcher go right to "ready and waiting" would be most realistic.....

BUT...unless something has changed.....there actually was(is?) a notification that your pitcher is warm....I haven't really looked for it...but it would come up next to the scorebug.....where the HR 425 ft. (1,2....etc) notifications show up.

M.K.
Knight165
Well color me surprised, I've never noticed this.

I'll keep an eye out for it next time. And I'll stop forgetting to sit down my pitcher anyway.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #23
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Well color me surprised, I've never noticed this.

I'll keep an eye out for it next time. And I'll stop forgetting to sit down my pitcher anyway.
Come to think of it.....I believe it also would tell you he was getting tired(which is kind of odd....wouldn't you think they would just have my bullpen coach tell him to stop pitching! )

I'll have to keep an eye now as it may have been removed. But I'm sure it was there in the past.

It's true........warm to automatically ready and waiting is the best and most realistic scenario.....I'll suggest it.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 04-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #24
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165

M.K.
Knight165
That was removed prior to last year for whatever reason. Well, probably not so much removed as just didn't make its way back into the new presentation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »