Home

The R.A. Dickey Dilemma

This is a discussion on The R.A. Dickey Dilemma within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2015, 03:16 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
The R.A. Dickey Dilemma

Has anyone else pitched with or played against Dickey in the game and all his knuckler does is land for strikes? Playing against him he had every knuckle hit the strike zone. So I checked his ratings and saw he had a very high control to the pitch. I tried to lower his control for it drastically because you can never really control a knuckleball but still the problem exists.

Anyone else come across this? And if so is there any fix?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2015, 03:19 AM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: The R.A. Dickey Dilemma

I agree with your observation, and it's been this way for as long as I remember. In CPU vs. CPU games, Dickey tends to have usually high strike % and rarely walks hitters.

I think CPU tends to aim all knucklers within the strike zone, and the pitch isn't inaccurate enough to miss it. It needs to be made a lot wilder to be realistic.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:21 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I agree with your observation, and it's been this way for as long as I remember. In CPU vs. CPU games, Dickey tends to have usually high strike % and rarely walks hitters.

I think CPU tends to aim all knucklers within the strike zone, and the pitch isn't inaccurate enough to miss it. It needs to be made a lot wilder to be realistic.
Thankfully I'm not the only one lol. I lowered the control for the pitch all the way to 0 to no avail. Maybe doing that with also lower his Walk rating will help fix it.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:29 AM   #4
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by topside
Thankfully I'm not the only one lol. I lowered the control for the pitch all the way to 0 to no avail. Maybe doing that with also lower his Walk rating will help fix it.
I think for a pitch like knuckler Pitcher Consistency would be a better slider to adjust. The consistency in locating knuckler within the strike zone is the issue, so you just want to lower that when Dickey pitches. I think Pitcher Control doesn't have as much of an effect in inducing Dickey to walk hitters.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:29 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Same Problem here you can Swing on eher pitch because it is in the strike Zone lowering consistency and move Up control helped me but i rarely can Hit this guy But when it is a homerun
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2015, 03:40 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I think for a pitch like knuckler Pitcher Consistency would be a better slider to adjust. The consistency in locating knuckler within the strike zone is the issue, so you just want to lower that when Dickey pitches. I think Pitcher Control doesn't have as much of an effect in inducing Dickey to walk hitters.
You're right on the consistency thing Nomo. I was referring to his actual control ratings when I edited him. That didn't seem to do anything. As of right now if he's ever pitching I'll just try and lower the consistency slider and see how it plays out.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:14 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Interestingly, Dickey seems to be immune to the otherwise-powerful effect of the CPU strike frequency slider - zeroing it will still result him throwing a ton of early-count knuckle-strikes. That means the CPU's pitching strategy really isn't changing much with it zeroed.

Lowering Consistency and/or Control sliders does seem to be the only recourse. I'm playing around with this a bit after reading this thread.

Although it's old - back from his time with he Mets, here's a bit about how often he can throw it for strikes (after the first gif):

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/6/19/30...uckleball-mets

If anyone has more recent data feel free to share - I'm not really sure where to look beyond a google search.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:31 AM   #8
Rookie

BeatArmy's Arena

OVR: 1

The knuckler never misses. My RTTS player on the Vita (for when I forget to cloud my save) routinely puts 95% inthe zone. The knuckler needs nerfing badly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »