Home

When do your draft players get the "call up"?

This is a discussion on When do your draft players get the "call up"? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2015, 07:54 AM   #1
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
When do your draft players get the "call up"?

For all you franchise guys, when do you call up the players you have drafted?

In my MLB '14 draft I selected a 22-year old 75 OVR 3B/IF prospect with 78 POT with my 1st round pick. As you all know you can't assign these players to your farm system until you get into the next season so I plugged him into AA when the new season began.

This guy is hitting like .280 with good power & production and it's going to be tempting to want to bring him up after the ASB. He's an older prospect and he's not going to really improve much as he's already near his potential. His bat/glove are both MLB ready...and IF I didn't have such a good offensive infield right now I'd be super tempted to bring him up. With that said I won't call him up because my IF is playing so well and producing at the plate...even my utility IF is doing great.

Let's say you get an absolute stud who can play right away ratings wise, are you going to call him up immediately?

What's your process?

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #2
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: When do your draft players get the "call up"?

If youre not going to use him, trade him or trade the position he will fill for something you can use. Or keep an eye on him and see if he will progress in the lower levels, if not youre just wasting his peak ability time.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
For all you franchise guys, when do you call up the players you have drafted?

In my MLB '14 draft I selected a 22-year old 75 OVR 3B/IF prospect with 78 POT with my 1st round pick. As you all know you can't assign these players to your farm system until you get into the next season so I plugged him into AA when the new season began.

This guy is hitting like .280 with good power & production and it's going to be tempting to want to bring him up after the ASB. He's an older prospect and he's not going to really improve much as he's already near his potential. His bat/glove are both MLB ready...and IF I didn't have such a good offensive infield right now I'd be super tempted to bring him up. With that said I won't call him up because my IF is playing so well and producing at the plate...even my utility IF is doing great.

Let's say you get an absolute stud who can play right away ratings wise, are you going to call him up immediately?

What's your process?
If I have a spot as well as the need for him...I may take a shot and throw him out there.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 04-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
Rookie

RD_Rabin's Arena

I work them up to AAA and then put them on the 40 man roster when I think they're ready.

The actual MLB call up comes when I need them, or they are out-performing someone in a position they can easily cover.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
Rookie

I wouldn't get too stuck on his current potential, as I have had quite a few players increase/decrease in potential. I can't really speak as to MLB 14 as I did not make the purchase last year.. But, just for example, in my 15 Franchise with the Reds, after a terrible month of April, Billy Hamilton went on an unbelievable tear and in the post-August updates on what players excelled/tanked for the month, one of my scouts said something to the extent of "Billy Hamilton has really played well for us this year. We may want to keep an eye on him. He just might have a future with this club" (which was funny since he is an 81 OVR already). What I immediately noticed was that his potential had risen from a B to an A(not sure what the exact numbers were, I like to keep myself guessing).

Long story short, with your big league ball club doing so well, it doesn't hurt to allow your guy to tear up AA pitching and hope his potential increases based on his performance. If I was you, and he doesn't increase after the phenomenal campaign a 75 OVR player should have in AA, I would bump him up to AAA the next year and hope for the same. Or, as previously mentioned, trade him for a younger, lower rated-higher potential player.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #6
Rookie

charlieh78's Arena

Sounds like a good situation to have! If I was in that position I'd give him the call up to AAA. I wouldn't mess with the current situation at the big league level if they are playing well. If he does well at the AAA level, add him to the 40 man roster and bring him up in September when rosters expand. I wouldn't trade him considering he is only 22. You still have many years of control on what sounds like a promising player.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »