Home

Okay, we need to talk about AI suicide squeezes

This is a discussion on Okay, we need to talk about AI suicide squeezes within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #73
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Okay, we need to talk about AI suicide squeezes

I've searched but I can't seem to find any stats for 2014 that show how many squeeze plays were attempted last year in MLB...real life I mean...

C
Old 05-04-2015, 09:36 AM   #74
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Link is to an interesting article and below that is an excerpt from that article.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...es-loaded-bunt

I didn't really expect to find anything terribly egregious. A number of managers bunt too often, but they don't sacrifice with the bases loaded. This is less about strategy and more about wondering why teams don't deploy this tactic a little more often. It seems surprising that we only had four such bunts in 2013 despite the fact that it was a smashing success twice and a solid outcome a third time. Only Escobar really messes it up, and that's because the runner missed the sign. It probably would have worked otherwise.

With the bases loaded and one out, teams aren't typically looking for a bunt. Much like trying to beat the shift, teams might be able to deploy the bunt quite effectively here. If nothing else, doing it on occasion would keep the other team honest, drawing their corner infielders in and out of position.

You probably won't find many of these in 2014 (only 21 non-pitchers have done so since 2008), but as teams look for little chances to get ahead, bunting with the bases loaded might be a small way for teams to get a leg up.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:57 AM   #75
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
Link is to an interesting article and below that is an excerpt from that article.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...es-loaded-bunt

I didn't really expect to find anything terribly egregious. A number of managers bunt too often, but they don't sacrifice with the bases loaded. This is less about strategy and more about wondering why teams don't deploy this tactic a little more often. It seems surprising that we only had four such bunts in 2013 despite the fact that it was a smashing success twice and a solid outcome a third time. Only Escobar really messes it up, and that's because the runner missed the sign. It probably would have worked otherwise.

With the bases loaded and one out, teams aren't typically looking for a bunt. Much like trying to beat the shift, teams might be able to deploy the bunt quite effectively here. If nothing else, doing it on occasion would keep the other team honest, drawing their corner infielders in and out of position.

You probably won't find many of these in 2014 (only 21 non-pitchers have done so since 2008), but as teams look for little chances to get ahead, bunting with the bases loaded might be a small way for teams to get a leg up.
Does that say only tried 4 times in entire 2013 season?

C
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #76
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Yeah I've played over 150 games and I've yet to see it.
You know what else you have yet to see this year? Anything resembling a realistic hitting interface... What unintuitive, suspension-of-disbelief-killing, slipshod, button-mashing, skill-less, worthless flicks were you making when you failed to notice any suicide squeezes? I played less than ten minutes of a single game before I took the smelly turd back to GameStop (feeling happy to get 16 bucks back --more than it was worth, frankly) and the AI suicide-squeezed in that 10 minute period.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #77
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldFalcon325
You know what else you have yet to see this year? Anything resembling a realistic hitting interface... What unintuitive, suspension-of-disbelief-killing, slipshod, button-mashing, skill-less, worthless flicks were you making when you failed to notice any suicide squeezes? I played less than ten minutes of a single game before I took the smelly turd back to GameStop (feeling happy to get 16 bucks back --more than it was worth, frankly) and the AI suicide-squeezed in that 10 minute period.
We all will miss you so much.....

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:18 PM   #78
Just started!

I've never seen the AI attempt the suicide squeeze so much in any baseball game. Be aware with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs. They are not scared to squeeze.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:40 PM   #79
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
And here we have previously banned user from post #58 chiming in again.

No we don't!!! We have another spam bot posting same thing from the OP.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #80
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldFalcon325
Sounds legit.

M.K.
Knight165

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »