Home

Need to Be Able To Manually Challenge A Play

This is a discussion on Need to Be Able To Manually Challenge A Play within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #1
Rookie

PittPens1787's Arena

OVR: 0
Need to Be Able To Manually Challenge A Play

I'm very glad they implemented challenges into the game, but holy crap do we need to be able to manually challenge plays. For the 2nd or 3rd time now I've had a close play that I would like to challenge, but the prompt never pops up. Each time I have then gone into replay to manually review the play to figure out that I was RIGHT and should have won the challenge. Instead, I can't even challenge the play.

I know the 7th inning rule and out of challenges rules. This hasn't been the case any of the times. This is frustrating. Just need a spot in the menu where you can go in and select "Challenge Call"

Let's Go Bucs

Last edited by PittPens1787; 05-03-2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: typo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Need to Be Able To Manually Challenge A Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPens1787
I'm very glad they implemented challenges into the game, but holy crap do we need to be able to manually challenge plays. For the 2nd or 3rd time now I've had a close play that I would like to challenge, but the prompt never pops up. Each time I have then gone into replay to manually review the play to figure out that I was RIGHT and should have won the challenge. Instead, I can't even challenge the play.

I know the 7th inning rule and out of challenges rule. This hasn't been the case any of the times. This is frustrating. Just need a spot in the menu where you can go in and select "Challenge Call"
Should I assume that you know only 1st base challenges are programmed into the game at this point? Are these calls you wanted to challenge at other bases?

This is definitely something they'll be looking into for future games, but they're keeping the scope intentionally small for now.

Personally I just turn the umpire close plays off - it does disable the replay challenges but ensures that all calls are correct at all bases. To me, that's the more important thing than actually being able to challenge (especially since the AI won't) - since MLB has mostly removed the umpire guesswork from non ball/strike plays.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
Rookie

PittPens1787's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Should I assume that you know only 1st base challenges are programmed into the game at this point? Are these calls you wanted to challenge at other bases?

This is definitely something they'll be looking into for future games, but they're keeping the scope intentionally small for now.

Personally I just turn the umpire close plays off - it does disable the replay challenges but ensures that all calls are correct at all bases. To me, that's the more important thing than actually being able to challenge (especially since the AI won't) - since MLB has mostly removed the umpire guesswork from non ball/strike plays.
I 100% did not realize that only first base plays are challengeable right now. That explains everything. Ignorance on my part - thanks for the information. Knowing this, yeah I think I'll now turn umpire close plays off since IRL replays take care of this issue.

Thanks again for the info, hopefully challenges at other bases will be included in future game versions.

Let's Go Bucs
Old 06-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Rookie

dapear's Arena

Also i hope for challenges to made AGAINST you, by the CPU. Plenty of plays I thought went my way that CPU could have challenged.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #5
MVP

dran1984's Arena

OVR: 2

The entire reply system is a joke in the game(as well as in MLB). The way it is implemented is just like a cut scene. They get the play wrong only so you have the option to challenge it just to "have it in the game". We should definitely have the ability to challenge calls manually. I also noticed that they never give you the prompt to challenge on the 3rd out of the inning. I have seen many wrong calls on inning ending plays and never one prompt to challenge. I hope they improve it in future years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2015, 05:24 PM   #6
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by dran1984
The entire reply system is a joke in the game(as well as in MLB). The way it is implemented is just like a cut scene. They get the play wrong only so you have the option to challenge it just to "have it in the game". We should definitely have the ability to challenge calls manually. I also noticed that they never give you the prompt to challenge on the 3rd out of the inning. I have seen many wrong calls on inning ending plays and never one prompt to challenge. I hope they improve it in future years.
I've been prompted to challenge calls that stood. So they don't only get the play wrong for you to challenge.

The challenge system needs to be enhanced no doubt, but it isn't just play is wrong, you challenge play is now correct either.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-09-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Thank you for mentioning this, I never realized this setting existed. I now feel a bit foolish for all the bad things I've wished upon the devs for making me sit through replay reviews.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:40 AM   #8
MVP

dran1984's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I've been prompted to challenge calls that stood. So they don't only get the play wrong for you to challenge.

The challenge system needs to be enhanced no doubt, but it isn't just play is wrong, you challenge play is now correct either.
Yea i mean not all of the calls are wrong but its way too easy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »