Home

I am getting REALLY tired of the game deciding you aren't going to catch a fly ball

This is a discussion on I am getting REALLY tired of the game deciding you aren't going to catch a fly ball within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2015, 02:07 PM   #41
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I am getting REALLY tired of the game deciding you aren't going to catch a fly ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke99
No no no, this is NOT simulation, this is pathetic, if it happened say once in literally 20-25 games, sure. this and 2nd basemen throwing poorly to 1st on routiners are just flat out wrong. Its not slow pitch or 12 year old kids this "sim" is of Major Leaguers
Errors on default are a problem. I can easily acknowledge this as I have tuned them down substanially with the error sliders.

Since I did that. Vs the CPU errors are highly realistic on auto fielding.

Online things are hit and miss due to variables like lag and latency and of course human error with the sticks does happen.

I have used assisted fielding offline to test the sliders as well and feel the settings I use are far better than what they are on default.

But IMO fielding has never...ever been better in this series history then on MLB 15. It is far more smoother and immersive then ever before. I thought they made meaningful strides towards more user control than ever before.

I am having a blast playing the field this year in online franchise/diamond dynasty. Have I had WTF moments? No question. Have I had some frustration with some wonky errors? yeah no doubt.

But it still is a huge improvement of past iterations of the game.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 05-07-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2015, 02:51 PM   #42
MVP

Madden's Jowels's Arena

Re: I am getting REALLY tired of the game deciding you aren't going to catch a fly ba

I know the devs wanted to make fielding in the outfield more challenging this year and not "lock you in" to catches too early, but I think they might have gone a little too far in that direction. Next year I'd like to see a middle ground between 14 and 15. Because there are too many outfield errors in this game. Coming from someone who played 6 years of RTTS as a CF on last years game, I've already made more errors in half a season this year than I did in my last 2 seasons combined on MLB 14. And this is when I can actually see the ball, unlike in a broadcast viewing angle. I can't tell you how many times I've ran to the exact spot, watched the ball come down... and fall right at my feet as I make a weird lunging attempt at it. I'm completely in the spot the game told me to be in, there are no green arrows telling me to take a step or 2 forward. I have 99 fielding rating. This tells me a problem, because its not an issue where "ohh the fielders rating said to be in the wrong spot because he can't read fly balls as well as an elite guy."

I'd love for them to add a strafe or "precision" button for the outfield, because most of the problems happen when you are trying to make a small, 1 or 2 step adjustment and you overrun the ball.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #43
Rookie

Put me in the camp of the folks who are not having trouble with fielding. I've had a couple of those "lunging" outfield errors, but they've all been self-created. It almost always happens to me when I'm trying to adjust the fielder late in the catch.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #44
Banned

jergiants's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden's Jowels
I know the devs wanted to make fielding in the outfield more challenging this year and not "lock you in" to catches too early, but I think they might have gone a little too far in that direction. Next year I'd like to see a middle ground between 14 and 15. Because there are too many outfield errors in this game. Coming from someone who played 6 years of RTTS as a CF on last years game, I've already made more errors in half a season this year than I did in my last 2 seasons combined on MLB 14. And this is when I can actually see the ball, unlike in a broadcast viewing angle. I can't tell you how many times I've ran to the exact spot, watched the ball come down... and fall right at my feet as I make a weird lunging attempt at it. I'm completely in the spot the game told me to be in, there are no green arrows telling me to take a step or 2 forward. I have 99 fielding rating. This tells me a problem, because its not an issue where "ohh the fielders rating said to be in the wrong spot because he can't read fly balls as well as an elite guy."

I'd love for them to add a strafe or "precision" button for the outfield, because most of the problems happen when you are trying to make a small, 1 or 2 step adjustment and you overrun the ball.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm glad at least someone here gets it. The ball sometimes doesn't land where it tells you it will, no matter what your outfielder's fielding skill level is. In my video it happened at the wall, and sometimes it happens in the middle of the outfield.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #45
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonripple
Put me in the camp of the folks who are not having trouble with fielding. I've had a couple of those "lunging" outfield errors, but they've all been self-created. It almost always happens to me when I'm trying to adjust the fielder late in the catch.
I've gotten pretty good at it myself...but when you first start playing online it's MADDENING let me tell you. lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2015, 10:26 PM   #46
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

I understand your frustrations, but that really was not a routine fly. You also did not take the best route, but yeah most center fielders catch that.

Youtube
Old 05-07-2015, 11:16 PM   #47
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Good explanation but on a side note, boy...that's a great example of batter swing delay and timing issues.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:37 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 31

Routine catch for maybe a 90+ fielder that ball was smashed to the wall and if you follow the ball shadow the ball goes right to where it should.

The ball land marker is off but your player looks like he never locates the ball very well, plus you slam him into the wall. At 38 seconds during the replay it shows you guy never located the ball very well.

Not sure why the marker is that far off to start but it may be a thing that has to do with balls that are going to hit off the wall or sneak over for an HR. That ball was smashed...I'd feel very lucky if I made the play on that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »