Home

Leadoff problems?

This is a discussion on Leadoff problems? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2015, 10:54 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 14
Leadoff problems?

This has probably been talked about but I can't find it anywhere. Is there a tip to taking leadoffs and, more importantly, getting back? When I have a base stealer and I click L1 or whatever it is to take a one-step lead, it's like the computer is tipped off I take the lead before my guy even completes his step. The IMMEDIATELY throw over. I'll slam on the R1, but my the reaction is incredibly delayed that he doesn't even start his move back until the 1B gets the ball sometimes.

I get that pitchers often toss over on a lead, but these guys are often tossing over pretty much simultaneously with the lead button. It just knows I clicked it, so they throw over.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Leadoff problems?

You don't need to take a bigger lead this year, so just stop doing it or you're just gonna keep getting picked off.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #3
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
You don't need to take a bigger lead this year, so just stop doing it or you're just gonna keep getting picked off.
This. In this year's game, any base runner with speed above 70 is going to be able to steal bases pretty consistently in this years game. Too easy, actually. On default sliders, you can steal 5-6 bases a game without trying too hard, depending on who gets on base.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCHILL
This has probably been talked about but I can't find it anywhere. Is there a tip to taking leadoffs and, more importantly, getting back? When I have a base stealer and I click L1 or whatever it is to take a one-step lead, it's like the computer is tipped off I take the lead before my guy even completes his step. The IMMEDIATELY throw over. I'll slam on the R1, but my the reaction is incredibly delayed that he doesn't even start his move back until the 1B gets the ball sometimes.

I get that pitchers often toss over on a lead, but these guys are often tossing over pretty much simultaneously with the lead button. It just knows I clicked it, so they throw over.
No leadoff problems, there is no need to get a two step (huge) lead
Old 05-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #5
Rookie

ma1r1k2us's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
then why not just take it out?For me I have noticed that you can take the bigger lead, if you do it at the right time. If you immediately hit the lead off the pitcher hasn't even come set yet and will usually throw over right away. If you wait until he gets his signs then comes set they look over a couple times if you take the extra step then they don't automatically throw over. Another big thing is when it is a base stealer the pitchers are going to pay more attention to them with pitchouts and pickoffs to stop you from taking the extra step. just the game within the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

Why would they take it out? The only time I take the extra lead is runner on 2nd and 2 outs - they stop holding the runner and you have plenty of time to get back but that extra step might be the difference between a run and an OF assist.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:50 PM   #7
Rookie

ma1r1k2us's Arena

I do use it sparringly so I don't really want to have it taken out. I'm just saying that if there is no need to use it and the pitcher is just going to throw over every time then it isn't a usefull feature. Most people are just used to hitting the lead off no matter what because they wouldn't throw over until you went 2 or 3 steps in previous versions. Then all of a sudden it's one step and a seat on the pine. I do have to say for me I notice that even during the animation I am able to get back, instead of stuck in it, so that is good.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #8
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

no do not remove it, runners on third and second does the AI rarely retreat back

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »