Home

Good timing is never good.

This is a discussion on Good timing is never good. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Good timing is never good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
When you get a hit do you always look at the pitch info afterwards? I have never seen a good swing get a hit. But its because i usually dont look to see what the pitch or my timing was when i get a hit.
I definitely do, particularly on base hits where I know I misplaced the PCI and still made good contact. A lot of times those are the "good" quality ones - because there's no way I would have even made contact if I didn't have good timing. I get a lot of early swing base hits too, but that makes sense because they're pulled and the swing generates more power.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #10
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

OVR: 0

For every foul ball or weak popup I hit with good timing I have multiple hits where I was either early or late.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:30 PM   #11
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I've hit home runs with good timing and fouled them off. Do I agree they foul off good swings more than they should? Yes. Is this thread a huge exaggeration? Yes.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2015, 08:02 PM   #12
Rookie

Fours's Arena

I don't mind most of the miss/fouls with Good timing, in the average baseball game you'll see guys foul a ball straight back 3 or 4 times I would guess.

My problem is that the miss/foul with Good timing seems to be completely random. It naturally happens realistically with a power swing on early counts, where you're trying to cover the entire plate and the pitcher might throw anything, not when you work a count to 3-1 and the pitcher gives in and throws a fastball dead center vs a normal swing.

It should very rarely happen in that situation to a good hitter.

Swinging through the ball with no contact should happen more in general, but you dopes chase so many balls in the dirt it would screw up the strikeout stats.. (Ya, I do too)
Old 05-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonalloyd
Maybe they messed up and "Good timing" is actually bad because every single time i have good timing i miss or foul the ball, even if my PCI is directly on the ball. I've tried this with directional, pure analog and zone, I normally use zone so there's no excuse for it.

One reason it seems that way is perhaps because when you put it in play, you don't see that indicator and it doesn't show up like it did in MLB14 on the next batter.

However, if you just foul it off or miss, it's right there.

I have a hard time believing that when I hit the ball hard somewhere, I did it with bad timing. Granted, I do wish they didn't put Just Early, Early and Very Early (and Just Late/Late/Very Late) just under one label (Early or Late), or maybe Just Early and Just Late are now under "Good", perhaps also adding to the perception (you might have just missed perfect timing and fouled it straight back, etc).
Old 05-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Timing is a little different - the "good" only refers to the timing part of the swing and says nothing about location. So even if you've timed the pitch well and get "Good" you can still miss or foul more frequently - that's entirely dependent on the batter's ratings.

I'd be curious to know how many games you've played to notice something like this. The OP too, for that matter.

This, too.

I play on Directional and if I try to influence the direction (which I do a lot for guys who, in real life, have heavy flyball/groundball/spray/pull tendencies), and sometimes it creates fouls, on good timing even with bad located pitches - pretty realistic. I always go "aaaaagh" when that happens, and I bet real hitters do a bit too.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:36 PM   #15
Pro

MLB14's Arena

I'm just throwin' this out there. You can view your base hit swing result by pressing R2 then d pad left
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #16
Banned

Playing on timing not using directional hitting, I've gotten plenty of hits which they label as good timing, some homeruns too. That's how I get a lot of my hits straight to center field, if I'm trying to hit it right back up the middle then usually I get good timing. Early and late timing are just as good, it just depends on the situation and what kind of pitch you get. I don't try to swing with "good" timing, I try to bat for the situation. Trying to time every swing as "good" wouldn't make much sense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »